Someone who has had the Monte Cristo at Disneyland

One thing to keep in mind about the nutrient listings provided by eateries, etc. The law states that the advertised weight/amount of the food must be at LEAST the amount listed on the packaging, etc. This is because in the past, companies were cheating customers by claiming that the were getting 12 ounces, but in the package was sometimes only 10.5 ounces, and other times 13.5 ounces, etc. This was considered false advertising.

So, now the packaging must reflect the MINIMUM amount in the package. It CAN have more (although companies try very hard not to go over that minimum very much because it then cuts into their bottom line). What this means is if you are eating something prepackaged and you don’t weight it yourself, the actual calorie count can be higher than what they advertise.

It gets worse with restaurants because they are far more likely to fluctuate. One piece of bread could be 30% larger than another, etc. Dipping that item to be deep-fried can result in a significant change in the amount of batter from one to another. Since there is this minimum rule in place, that means that MOST of the time, the food will be higher in calories than is advertised. Of course, restaurants don’t typically advertise food by weight, so it isn’t quite the same standard.

All this to say, the 98 grams of sugar is likely on the LOWER end of the actual amount, not the upper end. So assume a MINIMUM of 98 grams of sugar (if you eat every bite)

If you wish to stay true to a given calorie count, etc., then it is best to pick foods that have less opportunity to fluctuate (steak/chicken and vegetables, for example, versus things with breading, etc), OR bring a food scale with you. (But who wants to do that when you’re at Disney?)

OK, I finally tried the Monte Cristo (classic/normal one) back in October 2017. It was split between 4 adults with a side of the pomme frites (those are delicious. Get those.) The sandwich was… okay. I don’t really like doughnuts (sorry!), which is what I remember the bread tasting like, and it was a pretty heavy (made you feel full, lethargic, slow) meal for running around a park. I was glad to get up and walk around afterwards. You do get a lot, so if that’s what’s important to you I think you’d be hard pressed to go wrong with it. I personally wouldn’t do it again, and I’m really glad I split it, but it was interesting to try.

Those fries, though. My God. I still have dreams about those fries.

(To be fair it was also 103 degrees the day we went, so it probably wasn’t the best day to go eating a deep fried sandwich.)

1 Like

That doesn’t sound very pleasant! I have always wanted to try it as well, but don’t think I will be a huge fan either.

A sandwich dipped in batter and deep fried IS going to have some doughnut-like qualities; the fact that they dust it with sugar and serve it with a sweet fruit compote only adds to this. If I order it, I ask them to leave the sugar off and to bring a side of remoulade sauce. It’s still a gut-bomb, but I prefer the more savory approach.

1 Like

I prefer a properly made Monte Cristo for that reason - never understood the appeal of the deep-fried version.

What is the properly made version? I have never had any versions of it.

ETA: I’m not a fan. I don’t typically like “sweet” to be part of the flavor mixture for my main part of a meal. Sweet is for dessert. But my wife ADORES the Monte Cristo.

1 Like

As @ryan1’s link indicates, it is traditionally dipped in egg batter and fried, making the outside like French Toast (I think this is why many places put powered sugar on it, which I usually ask them to hold). However, one thing I disagree with the link is where they say that it is a ham and cheese sandwich with regional variations including turkey - I have never seen it without turkey.

1 Like

I totally missed that link!

What was the Big Sandwich at the Poly at WDW? Or maybe it was the Poly’s take on French Toast?

Tonga Toast - a classic.

I like the Monte Cristo under two circumstances – I’m super hungry AND the sandwich is super hot. Once that fried pile cools off it’s pretty disgusting. Because of that we usually order one sandwich for 4 people and each take a piece, then we get something else to share. That’s plenty!

1 Like

Yes, this, yes! We share between husband & I as well as giving a couple of bites each to the kids. And we all share the pomme frites. And by then we need to take the beignets to go because we are tooo full for anything.