Solo birthday at WDW -what would you do?

Hi fellow liners,

I am driving my daughter to WDW in mid-June. She is starting her term in the Disney College Program. Her check in day is Monday. I turn 50 on Tuesday -so I can’t just turn around and drive 17 hours back to Chicago. I have to do something fun and memorable, to mark this occasion, right? (I knew liners would see it my way!) :slight_smile:

I’m looking for your thoughts on creative and fun things to do at WDW or the Orlando area to mark my 50th birthday. I have an AP, Tables in Wonderland, no ADRs, no FP+s and I’ll likely be staying offsite or maybe on Hotel Plaza Blvd.

What do you think I should do?

2 Likes

Get a birthday celebration pin! At 50, you deserve all the fun you can get. As my DH oh so nicely informed me when I hit 50, “Now, when you measure your age in centuries, you get to round up!” Have a great time with your day!! I’d say treat yourself to whatever great food you want to do, maybe try something new in DS? You get to pick the place, without anyone else complaining about your choice.

2 Likes

Maybe leave a couple of days earlier to spend a few park days with your daughter? But I agree book a really nice meal or eat at some of the signature lounges. Book a really cool tour for yourself like Keys to the Kingdom or even one of the pre-packaged VIP tours.

3 Likes

Wear your birthday pin and you’ll get free desserts at most sit down meals and CMs and random people will wish you a happy birthday. DD and I celebrated dual b-days there

1 Like

I think a VIP tour is a brilliant idea…treat yourself :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @mkmuzzy, I will definitely be wearing a birthday pin! I like food so a good dinner is a good suggestion. I’m a Sanaa fan so maybe there or I could try Jiko. I’ve always wanted to eat dinner at Bluzoo -the crab nachos in their bar are crazy good.

1 Like

@Outer1 we just returned from a WDW vacation that we planned before my daughter got into DCP {do I live the life or what?} and she won’t have her ID to get into the parks for free yet. I’m liking the suggestion of a tour. That is not something that I would do with the family and I am a huge dis-nerd. Have you ever taken the Key’s to the Kingdom or Backstage Magic tours? If so, which did you think was better?

1 Like

I have done keys to the kingdom and loved it! So much history and behind the scenes information. Lunch at CHH is included plus a little souvenir. You skip the line on three rides and go into the under ground tunnels where there is a ton of memorabilia. I highly recommend it. And if you have a Disney visa it’s 20% off.

1 Like

I don’t know you @AllmadhereUK but I really like you! I do have to return home to my lovely wife and accountant later that week and she will find a VIP tour too fun and memorable.

2 Likes

Thanks @Outer1, Keys is sounding more attractive to me than Backstage but I haven’t been able to find a recent review of Backstage. Backstage used to focus on the parade at Animal Kingdom. It obviously can’t do that any longer. Backstage is a longer tour , 7 hours vs. 5 for Keys, but I bet that most of the two extra hours is transit time. I feel like 5 hours dedicated to the Magic Kingdom is more detailed, which I like, but I’ve heard the American Adventure mechanics are awe inspiring and it would be cool to see how the Tower of Terror works. Also there’s BIG difference in price.

1 Like

Why thank you :blush: Only joined this month and have learnt so much already and I thought I knew Disney!!

1 Like

For my DH’s 50th he ran the Disney marathon!

1 Like

Sounds cool! I won a couple nights at a disney springs hotel and I’m thinking of using them to do a solo birthday whirlwind in February. So yay for solo bday tours! I’m considering a 4-park-1-day challenge, doing favorite attractions/drink/ in each plus using all the different transport (boat, monorail, bus, and uber). Or I might go over to the dark side and check out Harry Potter.

1 Like

I think there is an ‘ultimate day of thrills’ VIP tour which takes in all the thrill rides in each park… $299 pp plus tax :grinning: Pretty sure I saw this on the Disney site!

1 Like