Solo (and first time!) Disneyland - Live Trip Report!

Great minds!!

1 Like

Okay made a stop for churro toffee as well. And seeing this crew on my way out made me tear up. Gotta be the lack of sleep.

8 Likes

That’s absolutely true. Space in general is one that is made much better by not knowing what’s coming. Whether that’s the seat and the dark or it being a new ride.

3 Likes

Back at the hotel. I tracked the walk back on my watch and it took 17 minutes and was just under a mile. Totally doable today although I’ll probably be less enthusiastic by the end of the day Thursday. It felt about the same as the walk to the Dolphin from Hollywood Studios, although less picturesque. I’ll probably try out taking a bus to the Toy Story lot and waking from there at some point as well.

Overall, for less than 6 hours in the park, I got a ton done. It felt like there were a good number of people in the park, but lines were very low. They are even shorter now, and the weather is perfect. If I start to wear out later in the week, I may do a midday break to return and enjoy the evening.

Walking in to DL for the first time kind of felt like a bizarro WDW. So much is similar that it was easy to forget where I was. So far I’m impressed with the rides. The common ones have definitely been leaning in DL’s favor. I know it’s the universal comment, but Sleeping Beauty Castle is definitely a bit underwhelming compared to Cinderella.

I do need to remember that I’ve got 4 more full days and I need to make sure to slow down and enjoy the ambience as well as powering through rides. I kind of felt if I slowed down today though I was going to fall asleep somewhere.

Tomorrow I’ll be starting at DCA. I’m going to set my alarm for rope drop, but I may aim to arrive just after the rush since it’s not critical for low waits. Plus I’ve somehow got to make it until my 10:30 Trader Sams reservation…who’s idea was that again?

11 Likes

We can make Trader Sam ressies in Cali?!

Golly I am such a DLR noob!

3 Likes

They are testing it out. So I think it’s just for a couple weeks to start, til early September maybe? I assume they will then decide if they are going to keep doing it or not.

4 Likes

:scream:

Edited to add: I posted this before even glancing at the next post, which was @Jeff_AZ with the same reaction x 3. :joy: I knew I liked that guy.

4 Likes

Did you see the preshow on IJ? There is a video with an explanation of what’s going on. If the line is moving too fast, you might have missed it.

2 Likes

Not when we were there in late July.

1 Like

I’ve been craving beignets really bad lately. If it weren’t for the current COVID surge, I’d have gone to New Orleans by now. It’s about a six-hour drive.

5 Likes

SM at Disneyland is very thrilling! The Star Wars overlay is also the best best best if you go at the right time. Big Thunder also felt faster to me at Disneyland (and I was a DL native). Pirates also wins at DL. I think WDW is by far better with Splash and Pooh, but overall I also lean towards DL having the “better” shared rides.

5 Likes

Oh maybe that’s it! We moved through the room with the video pretty quickly and it seemed to only be talking about the vehicle and that it would be a bumpy ride. I’ll pay more attention next time!

2 Likes

Good Morning from Anaheim!

I woke up at my usual hour so bright and early here. Going to go ahead do the whole rope drop experience so heading over to the park in a few.

13 Likes

Toy Story lot doesn’t open til 7 so walking again today. The Hyatt House on the corner of Harbor and Katella has a full Starbucks so that was super convenient to place a mobile order for.

Actually, as I’m waiting at the light they’ve opened the TS parking lot early with about 3 cars in line. Will definitely try that route tomorrow but I’ve got to go get my Starbucks today!

5 Likes

Being from the east coast makes rope-dropping at DLR a snap! Try doing it the other way - it’s not easy to rope drop in Florida when you’re used to Pacific time! :tired_face:

7 Likes

Oh man I can only imagine! Those early Disney mornings are tough for me, so adding a time difference in the wrong direction :flushed:

4 Likes

It definitely reminds me of the EEMH when Galaxy’s Edge opened. Going into a park at 5am was a surreal experience. But that would be every morning for you :joy:

4 Likes

Okay arrived at the security line where they are holding folks at 7:05. Not a bad crowd yet at all.

Also, walking up I got my first compliment on my shirt from a CM. This was a comment magnet on my last Epcot trip too. So if you want a well appreciated shirt…wear Powerline merch.

10 Likes

Started moving at 7:18 and now held at ticket booth gates.

8 Likes

As you’re walking around - or if anyone else wants to chime in - I am wondering about safe running areas at DLR. I will have a 6 miler on the Saturday I’m there, and although I can use the treadmill in the fitness center (assuming it’s open) I always prefer outdoor running. And at that time of year, for outdoor running to occur in such a nice climate will be a welcome treat.

So as to not hijack this thread, if others want to PM me that would be fine too.

3 Likes