Soft Open...but for How Long?

I’m reposting from Lines Chat where I did not yet get an answer:

Re:Velocicoster
How do these soft openings usually work? Can we expect them to close it down and then have more soft openings before 6/10? Or will it stay open but with limitations? Or maybe a short-lives opening and the down until the official date? Any insight is appreciated.

1 Like

I think we will all hope it is like the Fast and Furious soft opening, and not the Hagrids opening.

It could be open every day and close for short “adjustments”.

1 Like

What was the Hagrid’s soft opening like? Short and unsweet? Sounds like FF stayed open most of the time which is a good sign. We are going to be there 5/16 - 22 and I’m hoping the odds are in our favor.

Hagrids had issues for months after opening. It really didn’t have a soft opening and was really not ready to open.

4 Likes

I think it’ll be open as long as it doesn’t break. This is the final phase of testing. The endurance testing phase of the product where the system gets loaded at production levels to find any bugs that happen from high capacity for long up times.

Edit: At lease that’s how it works for software which is what I do for a living so that’s how I see this. In essence you are the beta customer.

3 Likes

So far the ride has been a “reliable people eater” as some sources have put it. I think they’ll keep it open through the 10th, but there are never any guarantees.

5 Likes

There is almost nothing technologically unique about Velocicoaster compared to Hagrid’s, so I expect very few issues. The coaster itself is pretty standard amusement park fare. As such, I hope there is very little downtime. We will have four days at Universal, so I am hopeful we will get a chance to ride.

2 Likes

Simply put: we don’t know. There will be patterns that develop over time but nothing is guaranteed till June 10.

1 Like

Or after June 10, for that matter :joy:

2 Likes

Right? Rides break down all the time LOL and pandemics occur!

2 Likes

All I can do is cross my fingers. We booked our trip long before we new that there may be an opportunity to ride VC and we will be fine either way. But it would really be the cherry-on-top of what appears to be an incredible trip. Thanks for the insights!

4 Likes

Two different sources from USF have said they are going to run VC every day until it opens. It may not be open all day every day but it will be open.

5 Likes

To me, that just makes sense. Keep running it with people on it, figuring out the quirks, and getting them all worked out prior to the official grand opening. To do it any other way seems kind of silly.

1 Like

So far it has been running both days we have been here. It was down sporadically, though.

2 Likes

Velocicoaster is an Intamin and similar tech to Maverick at Cedar Point. I’m hoping the know issues with Maverick gave them plenty of ways to address issues and avoid as many problems with Velocicoaster.

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel like an Intamin. Well, aspects of it do. But I was surprised that it wasn’t as smooth as I have come to know Intamins to be. Maverick is much smoother. Not that VC is rough…but there wasn’t the smooth as ice feel I was expecting. I came off the ride with a slight headache, which is atypical for me on Intamins. I think I prefer Maverick to VC.

Part of it may be the train design.

3 Likes