So what's the correct answer for Genie +?

It is a problem in the UK.

3 Likes

Itā€™s in the rumour category, but coming from someone who has some direct inside info of the operational side of WDW.

They have (apparently) seen the results of the guest satisfaction surveys on G+ and the response from the execs to the results. And his previous info has been solid.

2 Likes

I believe that part of our staffing shortages are related to the Baby Boomer bubble. I remember reading and talking about this years ago. When the Boomers are fully retired, will there be enough workers to fill positions. I think the pandemic certainly led to many Boomers leaving the work force earlier than they had intended, though.

4 Likes

Having been to Spain earlier in the year, and then my Mom going in April, and Tim just getting back from there with Averyā€¦Spain has no issues with staffing. In every store we went to, there would be twice as many employees as needed. At the restaurants, tons of wait staff available. We barely saw any ā€œhelp neededā€ signs. It was refreshing to see, but also made me annoyed when I returned to the US to see so many not working, and yet so much government assistance being given. No idea about other countries, just one example I know of.

3 Likes

Yes. This is true, exacerbated by the fact that people arenā€™t having enough babies to keep the economy growing!

As a L&D nurse, this is hard to believe. So many babies!

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure more babies is the answer in the long run!

3 Likes

Nope, itā€™s immigration but this is gonna go political real quick so Iā€™ll just shut up and leave it at thatā€™s my opinion.

9 Likes

Itā€™s widely been eliminated in my area, too. Younger people are having harder times finding jobs here this summer. It seems folks are back to work in a lot of our service areas.

Last summer - Busch Gardens Williamsburg was a staffing nightmare.

Last week at UOR we didnā€™t feel any areas were poorly staffed. And they donā€™t require reservations and rules about hopping.

I donā€™t think Disney needs to do it. I think they want us to think they need to. But itā€™s all about being able to deliver the most meager experience we are still willing to pay for.

6 Likes

I think UOR is paying more than Disney. That could be part of the reason more staff there. Weā€™re definitely having staffing issues here at my City, especially for summer work. I think any teen-ager who wants a job can get one.

6 Likes

I agree with this. We need babies!
We are not replacing our population and people are retiring faster and living longer.

1 Like

Glad to hear it.

Immigration plays a stop gap roleā€¦but birth rates are dropping globally. The U.S. rate is below replacement, so without immigration, our long term population is shrinking. This isnā€™t just a U.S. problem, though. Many nations are struggling to hit replacement levels of births, and immigration isnā€™t enough to make up for it.

The next 30 years we are very likely going to start seeing a major drop off in population as the aging population starts to die off in increasing numbers.

3 Likes

It seems Walt had it right in this regard. Sure, Peter Pan and Toad were low cost attractions but they were attractions. With things like the Sword in the Stone, the Carrousel, and Tea Cups, even the buckets, and the low cost/lowkey rides a guest had plenty of things to do. Fantasyland in particular had a lot of attractions per acre.

Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s an idea that with upgraded Magic Bands and wonderful electronics, thereā€™ll be more interactive things to do in SWGE, in future. Effectively increasing the ā€œattractionsā€ per acre without the expense, land and personnel that a brick and mortar attraction uses up.

2 Likes

Your second sentence may be true, but Disney is severely unstaffed still. A few weeks ago it was reported they were still down about 500 bus drivers, for example!

We are back to having all dining rooms open and at capacity. Stores donā€™t look disheveled like they did last summer when weā€™d first arrive. And DD16 was hoping to work at Hobby Lobby like DD17 and they are not hiring. They are fully staffed.

1 Like

Everywhere around us is still hiring, and starting wages have increased a lot to bring people in. It is getting better, but still we are feeling the lack of staffing at ton of places around us.

1 Like

Maybe it is my suburb then. What is it like where you are @SirGreggLadyV @Broph1988

I take your word for it.

I just figured theyā€™d limit it in others ways like resort guests only or higher prices than first-come-first-serve.

UOR requires far, far fewer people to staff. Integrity of their attendance is below any of the four Disney theme parks, they have far fewer hotels and restaurants, and they didnā€™t rely on things like the college program and the cultural representation program prepandemic. All of these things are affecting Disney in a different way.

3 Likes