Single Rider + Rider Swap

It seems like you’re allowed to get a rider swap pass even when you use the single rider line. Is the swap pass still good for 3 people or just for 1? I’m not saying I’d do this (I’m also not saying I wouldn’t) but what prevents you from going up to the single rider line showing your baby, getting a rider swap pass, leaving the single rider line, and taking 2 of your friends immediately onto the ride?

Sometimes they will insist that your entire party is there to obtain a rider swap.

But even if they don’t, and you (or someone pretending to be you) were to do this, enough of this starts to happen, and Disney will be forced to impose further restrictions/limitations/inconveniences to those who use the system legitimately.

It seems every time Disney comes up with a way to help those who need help, people figure out how to game the system, ruining it for others.

Oops. I just noticed that a soapbox appeared under my feet!

2 Likes

Sure. I can see how that’s abusive and against the spirit of the system.
But it’s perfectly valid and within the spirit of the system to send one person up the single rider line to actually ride, and get a rider swap for 3 other people, right?

No.

Here is the text from Disney’s own website:

To Use Rider Switch:

1. First check with a Cast member to see if Rider Switch is offered at the attraction in question.

2. Once at the attraction, approach the greeting Cast Member with your entire party. At least one adult member of your party and the Guests who are not riding will be given a Ride Switch pass and asked to wait in a designated area (usually outside of the attraction). This group is “Party 2.”

3. The other party members (“Party 1”) ride the attraction.

4. After riding the attraction, Party 1 locates Party 2 and gives the Rider Switch pass to the adult member who will be riding. Party 1 takes over supervision of the non-riding children or Guests.

5. Party 2 enters and boards the attraction without having to wait in the regular queue a second time. The Rider Switch Pass must be presented to a Cast Member at this time.

If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.

As you can see with the highlighted text, you need to approach with the entire party, not JUST a single rider.

This won’t be possible with the new system since everyone needs to approach and those that are returning to ride bands are scanned with the return time…at least that is how everyone is interpreting the new system.

1 Like

…and I forgot that under the current system (outlined above) they will sometimes not give the paper pass to the first party until they are at the second check point which is well into the line for the ride.

Not sure if you have seen, but beginning at the end of this month (I think) Disney is going to start putting rider swaps on your magic bands and no longer giving the paper rider swaps. I’m still not clear on the details, but it is clearly a way to get people to stop gaming to the system.

I wonder what this means for those who aren’t using Magic Bands. When we go, we just have tickets since we stay off site.

I think it would go on the ticket card things that you use for FastPasses? I’m honestly not sure. I think more details will be released closer to time?

Agreed. Just like FPs, they will add them to the cards.

But the rumoured start date is June 19th. So anyone heading there may want to rethink their plans, in case this hour return time is true.

Having said that, there are only a couple of sites which have actually reported this, and the first was Disneydoctor. I have no idea how reliable they are, and seemingly nor do many people, which is why discussion on a couple of forums has been tempered with caution.

And by “reliable”, what I mean is known for actually being the first to break stories like this. Some sites are very good at “breaking” stories that have already been around for several days, weeks even.

Oh. I’m more interested in whether you can use a single rider line to obtain a ride swap pass. Not what the rest of your party is or is not doing at the time (they’re happy to stand in the designated area or whatever).

i.e. Approach with whole party, but use single rider line for party 1.

I think the point was that with the ne system that is apparently coming in, everyone would need to approach the CM so that the rider switch can be added to their bands.

But as to the original question, I think you can use it with single rider. Not 100% sure though, sorry.

1 Like

Oh. I guess I misunderstood what you’re asking.

Truthfully, I don’t know…but I imagine so.

the point of single rider line is to ride as a single, not with others. The person staying back with kid can go through single rider without kid after you have exited the ride. No need for rider swap.

But it isn’t the same. The line for single rider can still be a wait compared to the FastPass line. So I believe the idea is that if you were to get a Rider Swap, and the first person just goes and waits in the Single Rider line INSTEAD OF the Standby line, you are reducing the total wait time. Then, after you get off, those waiting use their rider swap to get into the FastPass line.

Presumably this is so that the total wait time for everyone is reduced as compared to everyone just waiting in the standby line to begin with.

To me, UNLESS you truly are having someone sit out for the ride, it is definitely gaming the system. BUT, if you legitimately have someone who isn’t riding, I don’t see why having the first “Party” by Disney’s definition couldn’t be a single rider who uses the single rider line.

Yeah. That’s my question.
Basically we’re a family of 7, only 1 of which is short. Can we send DM through the singles line to ride and get a rider switch, while we wait with shorty so three others of us can return via FP line using the switch pass.