Silver Dollar City

We’re heading to Silver Dollar City with extended family in two weeks. It will be 8 adults and 7 kids (ages: 13 to 8 and a 4-year-old). Two of the kids have autism, so minimizing waits is important. All of the kids love rides and will tolerate a few shows. We only have one day to tour. Any tips, tricks, or touring ideas would be appreciated.

1 Like

Definitely do Marvel Cave. It was one of our favorite parts. But since you have only a single day, be advised that the tour is lengthy. You might pick a time during the heat of the day to do it so that you are in the coolness of underground. And you might want to have something to thrown on, since it can feel chilly in caves (I think it averages about 60 degrees).

Hard to estimate what waits might be. We went during a lower crowd time.

It is a beautiful, unique place. It is a shame you only have a day. If you can add another day, I’d try to. If you can’t, that’s okay. You just won’t get through everything.

2 Likes

I think I started a subject about airfryers and Instant pots a little earlier. I was told I should have put it in another section. Just say’n

1 Like

Be sure to ride Time Traveler. One of my fave coasters. I’ll be in Branson from June 14-21, too. Can’t wait.

1 Like

It is weird because there is nowhere to put any travel/amusement park related topics here. There is La Cava, but that seems to be for far more miscellaneous topics. Perhaps there should be an area that’s just called, “Other Travel” or something like that.

3 Likes

the trick is to briefly mention Disney as slightly related. Kind of like the old “let’s talk business for a few seconds so we can bill this meal to the company”

2 Likes

My boys especially like BTMRR. Are there any similar coasters at SDC? [check - bill to company :grinning:]. One last question. Is the SDC app worth a look? I’ve noticed that most smaller theme park apps are fairly useless. Now… I’ll let this thread die a natural death. Thanks for the help.

Be advised that SDC is VERY hilly. Very. Also can be a challenge to navigate.

Take time to see the artisans there! We especially like the glass blowing and candy making. Also, the man who chops with a hand axe to make beams for log cabins…his precision is just WOW.

Shows are wonderful…if they are offered, take them.

You can buy cups to do cheap refills on drinks.

Try the Skillet Meals!

1 Like

Also regarding the cave: if claustrophobia is an issue for anyone, you may want to skip.

Oh, and make sure to ride Fire in the Hole. It’s cheesy but is to SDC what things like Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress are to WDW. Classic.

Oh, and the Saloon show! You will want to line up early but it’s a great place to get snacks and drinks and see a fun show.

Yes, I agree. I was told I was transferred to La Cava because it wasn’t WDW related. What the heck is La Cava other than a chad site. Sorry I thought it was a Spanish site myself and I don’t do chat not even in Spanish. Personally I couldn’t care less if you posted here but the powers that be decided otherwise so I was just trying to point this out. Many many posts have had little to no relation to WDW but they have been posted here without a hitch.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Outlaw Run. It’s certainly not suitable for the 4 year old and might be too thrilling for the 8’s and 9’s range, but it is a fantastic coaster. And if you get to ride it at night, it’s even better. Wildfire and Powder Keg are also quite good, though Powder Keg has reliability and capacity issues.

SDC is very hilly. I think rope drop works well here. Look at the website for ride descriptions. Outlaw Run is prob my sister’s fav but her granddaughter prefers Fire in the Hole. The both love the Barn Swing, I think it’s called. I’d no more do that than Tower of Terror.
We usually eat at the pizza place.
If you’re going mid-week you might have lower crowds.
Be advised Missouri is in a long term rainy system. Have a back up plan to depart the park if storms are approaching. A good weather app is probably your best choice for apps. If it weren’t for the current weather, I’d recommend after 3, next day free.
We usually like to go at Christmas, see the lights and A Christmas Carol. SDC can be quite hot midday in the summer.

Digging up an old thread here. Anyone have a TP suggestion for Silver Dollar City? We’re going in two weeks exactly as we’ll be in Branson for youth baseball. Park opens at 9:30. Thinking to arrive 45 minutes early. Any recommendations on rope drop?

1 Like

How did it go? Did you enjoy your day?

Did we ever?!? Loved Silver Dollar City and you can definitely tell it’s a sister park to Dollywood. Has the same kind of feel to it. Arrived at 9 am and entered the park immediately.

Rope dropped right at 9:30 and hit Time Traveler (2nd ride out), then Thunderation, then Wildfire, then Outlaw Run, and Powder Keg (which was down for good bit). It was lightly raining right at rope drop but it only impacted Powder Keg.

If I was building out a Touring Plan with the primary goal of hitting all five coasters it would be: 1) Time Traveler, 2) Thunderation 3) Powder Keg 4) Outlaw Run 5) Wildfire.

My two favorite were Time Traveler and Outlaw Run for different reasons, but a lot of our group preferred Time Traveler and Powder Keg. All in all, I personally rode Time Traveler x3, Outlaw Run x3, Wildfire x2, Powder Keg x1 and Thunderation x2.

The food was solid too. Highlights were Grape Frozen Lemonade, Sausage & Pepper Skillet, Cinnamon Bread with apple butter, and Fried Oreos.

I’m confident in saying Silver Dollar City is definitely a must do if you’re a theme park enthusiast and not just if you’re in the area. I’d go as far as saying its worth seeking out.

Thanks for asking!

1 Like

Did you do Marvel cave? My favorite part of the park…and the reason the park exists!

1 Like

Yes and I also caught the lumberjack chopping perfect shaped 6x6 logs right there near the entrance.

1 Like

Ah great! I hope I get to visit someday.