Should I Upgrade? To Which Hotel?

So I just got a call from the VP of my company. They’re really grateful that I’ve taken on a bunch of extra work as of late and are giving me a one time bonus that I was not expecting at all. (I want to mention how grateful I am for my company and for this - I know this is a special privilege I have at a time when so many others are even struggling to find work. The bonus is substantial enough that I can set aside a bit for saving, a bit for charity, and still do a splurge for me.)

It looks like I can upgrade my 10/10-10/14 Pop reservation to either Contemporary Lake View, Poly Studio, or GF Garden View for about the same amount each. It’s just going to be me and my two kids - 4 and 1. We’re spending two days at MK and one at AK. My initial reaction was Contemporary because we can walk, but I’ve never stayed at GF (and there’s a chance its walkway is open by the time we go) and haven’t stayed at the Poly in 30 years. Given the kids’ ages and the current situation, what would you do? Or would you just stay at Pop and use the dollars for some other Disney splurge (though don’t know what really is available these days!)?

5 Likes

Congrats! I’d go contemporary for the ease of walking.

3 Likes

Another Contemporary vote.

That walk is so amazingly short.
Our group split. 3 rode the monorail and 2 adults and a 2 yo did the walk, cuz Dumbo (14 years ago).

Walkers beat the riders by a substantial margin. They’d have never made first Dumbo run.

3 Likes

If you choose to upgrade, I would absolutely go for Contemporary; especially with a stroller involved. The monorail station at the Poly is closing right before your trip. GF walkway: the temperature check station was just put in place, so that’s encouraging, but your trip’s only 2 weeks away. It’s a gamble whether that’s open.

4 Likes

I would choose Contemporary first, second choice would be GF.
As much as I love the Poly, I would not stay there right now with the construction beginning and so many things closed.

4 Likes

Another vote for Contemporary! With two days at MK with two small kiddos and a stroller that walk might just be a sanity saver :slight_smile: ( I also wanted to chime in to say, I love your screen name! )

3 Likes

I’d say Contemporary. Obviously Poly has some issues right now and I just like the Contemporary rooms much better than GF, plus it’s a quicker walk even if the path from GF is open. It’s all one building, so no mad dash to get to the food or front desk in the rain. They also have a separate bus stop from Bay Lake Tower, while GF shares with the villas if I remember right… normally it’s probably not a problem, but with the distancing procedures that could result in extra congestion and waiting at GF.

2 Likes

Without knowing if that walkway is opening in time, I’d pick contemporary. But I can’t wait to stay at GF especially now with that walk way.

2 Likes

Another vote for the Contemporary. Walking to MK two days will be worth it 100 percent. No question here, it’s got to be the Contemporary! :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve only stayed at the CR, but we did have a lake view room, and my wife and I both enjoyed the quiet time sitting on the balcony looking out at the view.

1 Like

Under normal circumstances I would say the Poly, but with the monorail not running to the Poly at the moment I wouldn’t stay there. I would go with the Contemporary–being able to walk to the MK is fabulous especially with having two MK days.

1 Like

I choose GF

Just kidding, I just have a knee jerk reaction to be different from everybody else.

I vote Contemporary. If the kids love the monorail, they’ll be super excited to see it running through. Also, Chef Mickeys.

My kid was between newborn and 5 when we were going all the time and he loved seeing “the TRAAAAAAAAAAAAIN” every few minutes. We knew it. The neighbors to our room knew it. Every person in the Contempo Cafe/Chef Mickey’s/all three retail stores and the Gingerbread house knew it too. I miss those days…

Congrats on a job well done and the chance to enjoy the littles <3 You are going to have THE BEST time no matter where you choose!

6 Likes

For an adults only trip, I would go with GF, but with a 4 y/o and 1 y/o, I would pick CR. The short walk to MK is a great feature with kids that age. I’ve stayed at both GF and CR with kid and without kids.

1 Like

Given the current status at WDW and limited experiences, i don’t think this is the year for big splurges. We had short WDW trips in August and just last weekend. I’m very grateful we did it in the smallest budget possible. Keep expectations and budgets lower than usual. It’s a much different WDW right now.

Having said that, a) i don’t ever think Disney earns the dollars they charge for Deluxe. b) A smaller upgrade to a moderate is more of a consideration for us. A one-night, last-night splurge to the Contemp would be a nice add on without breaking the budget, and save up for the 50th Anniversary. Thats my two cents. Your kids are at a fun age of 4 and 1. But i don’t think they’ll appreciate or remember the difference in hotels.