Shanghai Disney Now Open

Are they switching them between people? If not, I’m not sure why this is such a huge problem.

Spewing of breath means spreading of germs.

1 Like

They are forcefully blowing out of the instrument. Covid everywhere!!!

This is a known and documented risk. Many orchestras and choirs have cancelled performances because of wind instrument and voice

4 Likes

How many people are in a 6-foot radius of them though.

Maybe they all had instant tests first? (Fingers crossed)

Never mind. Apparently I’m just stupid. Carry on.

2 Likes

Nobody said that.

1 Like

:joy:

Maybe

LOL no worries LIzzie. We are all still learning here.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Sorry… Just feeling a tad sensitive after being jumped on with eye-roll emojis for asking who thought spaghetti bolognese-flavored ice cream/gelato was a good idea when someone posted a picture of a “spaghetti bolognese gelato sundae”. (Apparently it’s just that the gelato is put through a machine that makes it look like spaghetti - they still didn’t explain the bolognese part.) Never heard of that, and honestly from the name I’d never even get far enough to find out. LOL.

6 Likes

Yeah, everyone is a little jumpy these days. Hugs.

3 Likes

The plural of “anecdote” isn’t “data,” and my sample size is necessarily small, but I’ve yet to hear any of my cast member friends express any enthusiasm for going back to work. And these are food and beverage people who make most of their money from tips. Two work in third-party locations in Disney Springs. One is a new mother and is going to use all the family leave she can, even if it is unpaid. One is basically treating going back to work as the less bad option.

The Disney-proper CMs are hell no. They don’t see how they can wear adequate protective items and do their jobs, and they also think the crowds will end up being so small they’ll either go broke anyway but more slowly or else have their hours cut so they’ll be functionally unemployed.

edit: I say this to say that too many of these reopening discussions seem to treat CMs as basically props without agency.

8 Likes

Hugs!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised by a few things in the video. Not at all what I was expecting:

1. An opening ceremony? Why keep everyone huddled together for that? Better to let people in and disburse?
  2. Wind instruments! (the perfect way to aerosolize the virus and have it suspend among the crowd …)
  3. No spacing on the carousel - almost every horse was taken
  4. One guy they interviewed had his mask down so his nose was peeking out

Some of this made me cringe, but:

1. As has been said above, China has the health rating app system so there is far higher confidence that those in attendance weren’t exposed
  2. China is the epicenter of the pandemic - not Shanghai specifically, but they have been living under some kind of lockdown for 4 months and have seen first hand the effects of the virus. If anyone has a right to be scared, they would be - and clearly they’re not.
  3. Masks probably are the single best tool available to limit the spread. Everyone was wearing their masks, if not 100% correctly. Probably not enough to stop spread on its own, but when combined with all the other measures, the risk is much more palatable.

Anyway, I’m not sure if what we see here is representative of what we’ll see in the U.S. But Disney will certainly learn from the experience.

6 Likes

5 Likes

eeewwwwww

I really don’t understand spaghetti ice cream! It is everywhere in Germany. It is called Spaghettieis.

I gave it a shot, to see if it was somehow amazing, but no, it is just boring.

They have different flavors for it, with Bolognese being usually strawberry sauce with white chocolate shavings.

2 Likes

It is going to be hard to tell if their measures actually work there or if it is mostly security theater and they are relying on no potentially infected visitors for real safety.

The only way I can imagine being sure the measures work is if infected people visit the park and don’t cause an outbreak, but this seems really hard to discover.

In Shanghai there is testing, tracing and (intense) surveillance in place. Almost no one enters the city (there is a mandatory 14 days quarantine after arriving, they will even go to your hotel room every night to check your temperature).

Shanghai Disney reopening made me very curious about how the epidemic and lockdown worked there, so I did some reading. Best texts I found were:

It is very hard to know the real numbers, but it does seem likely that the super strict lockdown was effective and happened early enough in Shanghai to avoid massive losses and allow for health QR codes to be effective.

1 Like

I had an unexpected laugh as well with the wind instruments comment.

As I was skimming through the video, I could feel my anxiety getting higher and higher the more I watched. I did not think I would have the same feelings I get when I am out running on the paths and a bunch of people are heading towards me.

Did they only open the carousel?

I think this anxiety may be the new normal! ugh.

2 Likes