September vs November vs December

You just need the time stone, don’t worry about the others! :rofl:

1 Like

I went I think it was the first week of November, no later than the second week. We were at MK one night for the fireworks and there was no sign of Christmas. We came back early the next morning and it was completely decorated. Like magic!

The weather was great. Hot but not too hot.

Well I figured that if I had all six infinity stones I could could eliminate half the crowds at Disney. Then I could finally rest and watch the sunset on a grateful touring plans universe.

6 Likes

Very true! 72 degrees is jacket weather to me, but I live in the South.

2 Likes

Party days at MK in Nov and Dec have low crowds, so you could probably still accomplish most of that list. The difference will be in the crowds at the other parks during that time of year compared to Sept. We arrived an hour or so after rope drop at Epcot on a Saturday in Sept and were basically able to walk on TT, FEA and Soarin. That won’t be possible in December.

1 Like

Thanksgiving week in 2014 and 15 had quite variable temps but nothing scorching. Both times we had shorts days and heavy coats days. Got to swim, then later in the week was so cold I could barely stand it at night. Recommend many light layers. We loved it though and are going back this Thanksgiving. I can’t handle the heat but can handle the unpredictability and cold.

How much do you hate cold? We went 1st week of December 2017 and it was 40s. We froze, we just weren’t expecting it. Also there were decent crowds. We leave tomorrow so I can compare that next week!

I’ve been in both November and early December (over six years ago from last trip) and both were great. Weather was mild during the day but jackets were needed at night. This was before advanced FastPasses and the crowds were mild. It sounds like those days don’t really exist much anymore.

I have been in May, July and Mid August to end of 1st week in September. May was in 2003 and was horribly hot - our villa pool was solar heated and you could have made soup in it!. July in 2015 was very warm but we did a day at Universal and the heat really ruined our park experience. 2017 mid-August to 6th September - heat was much more manageable. From the graphs shown previously September is not the hottest or wettest month. Our net trip is already booked - 342 days to go - from Sept 2 to Sept 24. Apart from the first Sunday and Monday all days crowd levels are currently 2 or less! If you do not want to queue to much this is a great month but you do need to beware the odd strong wind.

Being from the original Jersey (a small island 9 miles x 5 miles at high tide - yes, smaller than WDW!) in the English Channel 15 miles from France) it is nice to know that you have a Jersey week - celebrating all things Channel Islands?? :grin::heart:

How much do I hate cold? Well personally I hate it a lot. I really don’t have an issue with the September heat in Florida. I would rather have it feel like 100 than feel like 40.

However, my wife hates the heat. She grew up near Milwaukee and turns on the AC when the temps reach into the upper 70s.

And the heat got to my kids last time we went. They didn’t really say anything, but by afternoon they were pretty gassed and cranky. One thing I would do differently the next time if we go in September is to do a mandatory afternoon break where we have to leave. We did that only once on our previous trip, but it worked out great. I think avoiding breaks previously because of how much time it took to leave and come back to the park, but now that the kids are older I think it makes more sense.

For those of you who in November or December with kids, do you take afternoon breaks? Where as in September the worst weather is in the afternoon, it sounds like in Nov/Dec, the afternoon has the best weather. So are you more interested in staying in the parks in the afternoon, or do you still like the breaks and go swimming?

Well I personally love all things British. I have spent time there, and my wife really wants to go the isles and spend like 4 weeks exploring. One of these days we will do it, possibly when the kids are gone.

Just to warn you though, New Jersey isn’t that well regarded by everyone in the states. Some think of it as New York’s deadbeat younger brother. (not me!)

New Jersey was gifted by King Charles the Second to one of his Jersey supporters (who helped him to flee via Jersey to France at the time of the English Civil War. We have a new finance district and its ‘Square’ is called Trenton Square after the Capital of NJ. Some officials came over earlier in the year for the naming ceremony.

Yes, I have to keep telling anyone from the US that I am from Old Jersey not New Jersey :grinning:

1 Like

Everything I know about New Jersey, I learned from the Sopranos. I assume it is all accurate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t that where Donald learned all his trick from?

Nobody has answered this question of yours so I will try to give it a shot. Last year from RD to 11:45 am on a Sunday in November at MK (a party day), we did Pirates, Magic Carpets X2, Peter Pan (FP), Small World, Enchanted Tales with Belle (FP), and Winnie the Pooh (FP). I suspect that is less than you accomplished in September. By 10:30 am, the crowds were there (eg Small World had a 25 wait at that point). Note - I was there with DD3 and DS1 so I’m sure that slowed us down compared to a family with older kids. Overall I felt the crowds were very manageable, but I have never been in September and I suspect the lines are generally lower in September.

Thanks Dave, that is helpful.

We had accomplished everything through lunch by 11:45, so that is a bit of reduction.

I think a 25min wait for small world is a good example. I don’t think I ever saw small world above 10-15 minutes all day.

It’s trade-offs whichever month you go. The only two times we went in September (first week both times) we had hurricanes to deal with. Wouldn’t stop us from going again in September if that was the month that it works out for us to go.

Our last three trips were Thanksgiving week (off property), Fourth of July week and first week of September. Had a good time each trip.

Kinda think our enjoyment isn’t tied into crowds, rides, or hotel. Little bit affected by weather, tho. :wink:

We’ve gone in November, September, March, and June. And we’re about to go back in November this year. I would vote for Nov — we had lovely weather (it was definitely warm enough to swim midday), and the crowds were totally manageable. June and September were both almost unbearably hot. I don’t think I’d choose the summer months for a big Disney vacation, and I like heat! But it was surface of the sun hot, and makes it hard to feel like doing anything other than ducking into every bit of air conditioning you can find.

2 Likes

Hmbhmbhmb, May I ask where you are from?

I’m always a bit curious when people say that WDW was too cold (and too hot) relative to where they are from originally.

I am currently not a lot of help, lol, but am in the exact situation.

The 2 times we have gone have been the week of Labor Day. While the crowds are amazing, the heat is unbearable. I’m from Ohio, so I’m used to HOT and HUMID mid-summer. The last time we were there it was 112*-118* (with the heat index) for most of the week. You couldn’t breathe without sweating.

This year we are going the week prior to Thanksgiving. The decorations will be up, MVMCP will be on, and Universal will have the Potter Christmas celebration (if you are into that like I am). Temps are supposed to be ‘mild’ and crowds ‘manageable’. TP is showing excellent crowd levels. Better than I’ve seen on other crowd calendars. Here’s hoping!

I’ll definitely report back.