Scopolamine patches for motion sickness

Has anyone used prescription scopolamine patches for motion sickness? If so, did they work & did you have any bad side effects?

My spouse regularly uses these for scuba diving and he never notices anything, except, of course, he’s not chumming the water off the back of the boat.

1 Like

I have used these for the last 6 trips. They worked great for me and I did not notice any side effects.

1 Like

I have used and it worked amazing. I usually get motion sick on everything. I rode spinning rides ar cedar point I would have never ever tried because of it. Only side effect for me was a dry mouth. I put behind my ear the day before I was riding.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about these as well for cruising.

1 Like

For a cruise, the upside of the patch is that they last several days, the downside is you’re not supposed to drink while using them. That’s due to the drowsiness factor, so the wise thing would be just to drink very minimally initially to be sure the combination doesn’t cause any deleterious effects. DH just uses two or three per vacation and does fine with a few drinks, (he’s not one to ever actually drink to excess, though).

1 Like

I highly recommend giving it a try! It was a game changer for me and I didn’t notice any side effects. The downside is that if you do experience some, it may take awhile for the drug to leave your system.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I was excited to try them, but then I started reading online about all these people who had horrible withdrawal symptoms after they got home and took it off. Glad to hear none of you had that experience!

I have used them as well. They worked really well for my motion sickness when flying. The side effects for me were that my mouth tasted like I ate a penny and some slight drowsiness.

1 Like

But the fact that it lingers also means most people won’t have withdrawal symptoms, so it’s a mixed bag that way.

If you’re worried about withdrawal symptoms @vandyke1977 , leave that last patch on for four or five days. It’ll run out of medicine slowly, and avoiding the abrupt removal of the medication is how you avoid withdrawal.

1 Like