Saying "no" to Chef Mickey's?

:+1:

1 Like

Tusker House also has Mickey and his friends. While still a buffet, there a much larger variety of food than at CMs. TH was enjoyed by everyone in my family from the most unadventurous meat and potatoes eater to the vegetarians and the adventurous omnivores.

6 Likes

It may be just I and my wife, but the Tusker House seems to have a spice (Curry) on just about everything. I thought it was just us but we took our 16 year old grandson and he noticed the same thing. Neither one of us can handle the food though if this spice doesn’t bother you, they do have a big buffet selection.

1 Like

Sounds like my parents (as grandparents) :slight_smile:

1 Like

My grandchildren must have seen the same show! They’ve been all about Toy Story Land since around the holidays. Glad everything is working out for your trip! :slight_smile:

I think I’m a bit late to this discussion and I’m also not a parent - but if you don’t want to eat at Chef Mickey’s why not use a bit of home made Disney magic to make it happen?

Tell your daughter that you got a phone call from Mickey and he said it was so great to meet her at Chef Mickeys the last time you visited him, he’s inviting her for lunch at his other restaurant that he’s sure she’ll love - ie Garden Grill or Tusker House. To really sell it you could even write her a letter from Mickey and post it to her at your home address.

You don’t have to say no to CM, your daughter is excited because Mickey remembers her and has personally invited her to try his other restaurant, and you all get to eat better food!

8 Likes

That’s a great idea!

1 Like

My son, 6, wanted to do Jedi training again but it took up so much time. We are traveling with other family this time and I really didn’t want to plan our day around Jedi training. So, I told him that it’s hard to get spots for and we need to let other kids have a turn.

1 Like

Which is true

Whose paying for the trip and the meals? That should answer the question on who has the final word. Humoring the kids is one thing but the final word should be the one that pays for it all. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

On the topic of “they’re only little once” my thought is letting them experience and getting to watch them experience lots of different things. I know taking my little niece for a couple days resulted in beautiful magical moments. Next time O take her again, I know she will want to do some of the same things (and we will), but I also want to take her to things she doesn’t even know to want because she doesn’t know what they are.

I’m a teacher and I’m often telling my students that they greet stuck because they only like and want the things they already know - what about the things they miss out on enjoying because they don’t try something new.

Disney is a virtual cornucopia if magical moments. Sometimes we have to guide our family members and tell them to trust us when overlooking previous favorites for what is sure to be a brand new magical experience.

5 Likes

Follow-up …

The WDW trip finally happened last week.

We decided to do Chef Mickey’s and I’m happy with the decision. Both DD4 and DS1 loved it and their smiles were worth the price of admission (plus the second dinner I got later at Contempo Cafe since I didn’t eat much at Chef Mickey’s). Since we got home DS1 has been telling anyone that will listen “I eat Mickey, I eat Minnie, I eat Donald, I eat Goofy.”

I’m starting to plan out 2020 trip. And this time I am going to plan for a meal at Chef Mickey’s without any debate.

9 Likes

Wait!? You mean to tell me you went against the advice here and they didn’t learn this crucial life lesson of being denied a meal in Disney World, at the very formidable ages of 4 and 1, and you’ve now just created two supervillains who will now forever demand things and…expect them???

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!! You fool! You’ve doomed us all!!!

Heh, kidding aside, that’s Fantastic! I love that they enjoyed it and the response you got from them is just the best.

2 Likes

Glad you went and enjoyed it. We had a very memorable meal there (in all the best ways) ourselves. I wish we could afford more of these experiences.

1 Like

So glad to hear you enjoyed it!!! Mine will be 11 and asking to go for the first time our next trip. Wouldn’t be my pick but happy she is still excited by “kid” stuff so we are going😂

1 Like

I just tell the kids that we’re doing some different things this time and that if we repeated everything from the last time there would be no room for new experiences.

2 Likes

My kids were 13 and 16 the first time we did CM. Now at 15 and 18 they are still asking to go back. The little kids in them still love to see the big 5. They also ask for Tusker House and Garden Grill. And cars and no curfew. But, still.

2 Likes

That gives me hope!!!

… or much else of any significance. We always told them, our family is a benevolent dictatorship, not a democracy. :wink:

The time to start dealing with Disney expectations is before the idea of Disney ever comes up.

Since the OP normally is able to keep expectations in line, then Disney should be no different. Just tell them you can’t go. If they ask why, say you have other plans. All these things are true. And that’s all you have to say. Don’t get down in the weeds with justifications and explanations. Children can find your weak spots, and then attack those with very effective arguments. So don’t give them the opportunity!

2 Likes

I agree with you for the most part. But before ADR day, I asked DD4 for the 3 things she was most looking forward to doing at Disney World and Chef Mickey’s was one of the three (the other two were CRT and A2S). While I don’t think the kids should dictate the schedule for the trip, I want to try to accommodate their most favorite things if possible (even if those aren’t my most favorite).

2 Likes