Saw this misleading pic on "cool guides"

Knotts only? Where are the rest of the Cedar Fair chain, Herschend-owned parks, Hersheypark, etc…
This guide is definitely NOT cool without all of the data.

2 Likes

What bothers me about this is that it looks like if you knock Knotts off the top the attendance might be even. Also, all parks? Including Paris and Asian parks? If so, I don’t know if it’s that comparable.

2 Likes

It’s labeled “Top Theme Parks in the US”, so I don’t think it’s meant to be all inclusive.

1 Like

Agreed. I also noticed they didn’t put how many Disney locations they are counting.

1 Like

Where is cedar point?

Ohio…I’m not totally sure what your point is…they clearly didn’t count it as a “top” theme park.

1 Like

I mean I don’t super care but I think the point is they seemed to have lumped all the Six Flags parks into one when all the Cedar Fair parks (which I believe now includes Knotts Berry Farm) make more total:
" Cedar Fair’s revenue is $1.5 billion ."
" Six Flags Financial Information

CEO Michael Spanos
Headquarters Grand Prairie, Texas
Number of Locations 18
Revenue $1.4B
2 Likes

But to that end, Sea World and Busch Gardens are owned by the same company yes?

3 Likes

versus

versus

so the fact that Disney makes that much with 8 theme parks counting water parks (since the others count them) and honestly that Universal makes that much with only 4 theme parks counting its water park is pretty impressive. They are paying for a lot less space and bringing in much more revenue. I think that’s the basic point here I take away.

4 Likes

I think the graphic is useful. I don’t think it’s supposed to be Disney vs EVERY other US theme park, but that look at what you have to combine to get roughly equal to Disney domestic park attendance. Although…does Disneys include hotel/DVC revenue in their parks division financials? I’m not fluent enough in their accounting to remember.

3 Likes

Quick google says that hotels are included in the Disney parks division revenue - so that’s a HUGE driver of the discrepancy. Do any of the other parks own hotels? Universal has some, but not nearly as many as Disney, even scaling down to the number of parks Universal has.

3 Likes

Cedar Point does cuz I stayed in it. Our local Sea World just does a deal with neighbor hotels like the good neighbors ones at Disney though so I don’t think they do and Six Flags doesn’t. But do any of them own those hotel/water park combos like Great Wolf Lodge.

*but yes Disney owns way more hotels and charges an arm and a leg for them and now we get to count Vero beach and Hilton Head. And Aulani!

3 Likes

But they lumped all Disney parks worldwide, and put them up against a handful of American parks.
Cedar Point, Kings Island, and Hersheypark have more visitors than anything Six Flags has to offer. Also, they included all of Six Flags water parks (and Volcano Bay) but not SeaWorld/Busch Gardens secondary parks.

I know where it is, i meant where was its inclusion on the list. KBF is representing all of Cedar Fair

Side note. Up until a few years ago, when i started getting i terested in theme parks blogs, i was under the assumption that Sandusky, OH, was a fictional city invented for the film Tommy Boy

1 Like

Yes, SeaWorld owns Busch Gardens