Rumors of DVC 2022 Point Chart Revisions?

This (and an earlier post) is extremely useful! I was not aware of the 2.5% limit.

Please note that I’ve since indicated I’m exactly wrong in my explanation. The 2.5% cap is the upper limit of profits that can go to owners, not to DVCD.

I am sure the podcast reported it as being capped as 2.5% back to dvc. Disney keeping the extra profit.

Oh! Now I read the rest!

Really? I was under the impression that it was allowed from the start. Commercial renting is absolutely not allowed but the TOS say very clearly that you can rent out points.

I kept reading. Noted. Thank you - I am now back to being slightly jaded which is probably the best place to be.

I have not been back to the DISboards since the first “they may be revising the charts” conversation. I missed that there was an argument that DVC was making the assumption that people wouldn’t use the higher point seasons. Instead I thought the issue was that the “base year” was set at a year when Easter is the latest possible date, therefore set for the year in which the Easter season is the cheapest. With all other years guaranteed to be more expensive, there were now, new excess of points in the system that DVC could grab back for overage.

I fail to grasp the difference. If I exchange points for cash dollars, am I not engaging in commerce?

I love the availability charts kept by skier pete (I think) to help me figure out what may be available when, and I like the the ROFR threads. The people on ROFR were really lovely when I was waiting, and I love the data collection aspect. I don’t linger on other threads however!

1 Like

DVC have chose to define commercial renting as more than a certain number of rentals in a rolling year. I think it’s 20 but not sure about that.

The problem with a “no renting” rule is how they distinguish between renting from letting friends and family stay for free.

Skier Pete was banned a while ago. The charts on the DIS are out of date, but he maintains them on his own website DVCHelp.com

He also hosts a couple of podcasts

I don’t listen to podcasts. But I didn’t realise he did them.

He is pretty active in the My DVC Points Community and he is a co-host of their News Updates but I think he said he has another show too?

If it is Peter Scheidle from DVCHelp

1 Like

He was on one of the Dis Podcasts not too long ago though I thought.

Yikes.

Well maybe Pete Werner has forgiven him. But given the guy’s more recent actions with the moderators who stepped down I doubt he is the forgiving kind.

Who knows?

Pete W was apparently mad with Skier Pete for posting his charts on his own website and accused him of trying to create a hostile anti-DIS site. So Skier Pete was banned.

1 Like

I need to dig out the binder with my owner agreement, but I’m pretty sure it was explicit, and included language about how patterns of activity that could appear like renting. I remember making four or five reservations for friends in a brief period and asking the agent (everything was by phone in those days) at what point would my activity become suspicious, and I just got a vague message that I was good for now.

Yikes! Now I am very curious. Thanks for flagging the new site, I had no idea! Like @OBNurseNH I remember him being on recently, but I am over 45 so anything in the last 5 years feels “recent”.

I listened to the Dis DVC podcast today on DVC rentals and my question got brought up. Pete said “Heather’s got a question, well she’s got a lot to say really, but here’s her question.” I took it as a badge of honor. :rofl: I told them (kindly) I thought the show was more impactful when they were really educating people and less "brand ambassador"ing. (Which I stand by. Let’s be frank, I miss Jerry from the DVC store).

1 Like

It’s funny- I generally avoid the Dis- everything about them. I will download and listen to dvc fan podcast (I started that sometime during the shut down when I needed more podcasts for my walks) but I will always pick My DVC Points Community or Welcome Home Podcast. Derek and Melissa have been doing update shows on both of these podcasts for years.

me too! The whole feel of the show is different without him. We’ve been watching less and less of the DIS sponsored shows recently. They just haven’t been offering us anything we didn’t already know.

1 Like