Rumor: Paid FPs imminent

I remember one time there was a little boy seated in front of us next to an older lady I thought was his grandma. When we deplaned, I looked down and he had gotten out the underseat life vest and inflated it. He was on the floor wedged between the seat edge and the back of the seat in front of him.

Turns out, the lady beside him was not only NOT his grandma, she didn’t speak English and I guess didn’t know what to do. Although you don’t have to speak the language to press the flight attendant button so who knows.

3 Likes

It will be a hybrid, but more between FP+ and the DLP system.

What Martin was saying, which I posted some way back, is that there will still be pre-booking of some FPs, the no. of which is to be determined, but there will also be packages of FPs and upgrades that you can buy.

He’s also suggested that the newest and “shiniest” rides will have some FPs that can be booked for free, and a proportion reserved for purchase. And that ratio of free to paid FPs could alter over time.

Almost certainly, for example, there will be an add-on for both Star Wars rides.

Think of the existing CL package. That would be an example of a deluxe add-on. The simplest add-on may be any 3 further FPs per day in one park.

They won’t have a gazillion options, and I suspect they’re hotly debating what options to offer.

3 Likes

I love this!! I have always had this as my backup plan if needed (I have one who get motion sick too so it really is in issue). Never had to use though.

1 Like

There is actually a law that children under a certain age (I’m not entirely sure but I think it’s 14) must be seated with an adult relative.

1 Like

https://www.babble.com/parenting/congress-passes-law-guaranteeing-families-to-sit-together-on-flights/

That does not apply to SW because they don’t “charge extra”.

Edited to add another link:

2 Likes

Also, it excludes upgraded seats. Which on some planes are all aisle and window seats except the ones in the very back. So, basically, the lowest fare class for most purposes would not allow you to sit together, except the very back rows by the potty.

Nice end run the airlines did around this law. A parent would have to buy an upgraded seat to sit next to their child, unless they’re in the back row. Some privilege.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

So I looked it up and found this statement, "In 2016, Congress passed a law requiring airlines to seat families with children together without charging them more. But the Transportation Department hasn’t written the required regulation and seems unlikely to do so anytime soon. Airlines claim they seat families together whenever possible, but they’re also motivated by the fees they collect whenever someone reserves a seat. " So it sounds to me, from other articles I have read (although I am no expert), that in theory even those who don’t charge for seat assignment should be seating children with a relative, but that it isn’t currently being enforced by the US Department of Transportation.

With my trip so soon I’m a little concerned about this. It’s our honeymoon coming from the UK and I have planned very carefully thus far and it’s much anticipated. I just hope fast passes already in my account will be safe. It would be upsetting and nerve-wracking if things are not as I expected. I feel for people with trips further in advance as the uncertainty and not getting what you feel you signed up for is very tough. Fingers crossed this doesn’t come to pass or affect anyone too badly. B

6 Likes

I’m sitting here with 1 kid and wondering how anyone handles multiple. DD10 has suggested we let HER adopt an older sister since we can’t have more but there’s no way we could juggle schedules of two kids.

1 Like

My DH always says when we got to three, we had to switch from man-to-man to zone defense.

Also, @BeckyLlama I’m in the same situation as you are- I think it would be insane of Disney to renege on any FP that are already issued, but it might be prudent to take screenshots of your FP.

6 Likes

Thanks @Pod I already got screen shots to protect against all the MDE issues but will double check they are up to date. I really hope they don’t change any existing ones as my plans are looking really good atm!
Fingers crossed B

1 Like

I can’t imagine that Disney would change anything on already booked FP’s. As much as we make them out to money-grabbers, the PR blowback from that would be crazy. Now, I don’t assume that vacations booked will have the existing FP policy, especially since SW:GE is still outside the 90 day window, but I have to assume that Disney isn’t dumb/cruel enough to change FP’s that have already been booked. It will be interesting to see if any of this starts getting implemented 90 or 60 days before SW:GE (even though it’s not FP).

4 Likes

That sounds just like my DH. With our twins we definitely did man to man. The third one came along and all bets were off. Definitely a zone defense. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

DH always said the same thing! But it never got harder after three.

When the first four (who are all just about two years apart) were little we always had the “rule” that at least two of them had to be doing some activity to bother doing it at all. Thankfully, as homeschoolers, it was easy to find activities that span ages and ages.

At present I am the busiest I’ve ever been wirh driving around. Even WITH them mostly doing the same things (soccer and theater), I seem to live in my van. My littlest two are very portable.

2 Likes

Yep. Even a tightening of credit access could drop attendance by double digit percentages.

This is always our issue with driving. Neither my husband nor I get paid days off, and my husband makes a decent amount of money each day. It actually ends up being cheaper for us to fly than to have to take an extra couple days off work to do the drive.

2 Likes

I mean, this depends on the airline. I fly JetBlue, and everyone still gets carryons and seat choices. I do not choose airlines where this is not the case unless there is no other options and it is an emergency trip, because I am very afraid of flying and absolutely have to be in a certain place on the plane, and I hate (HATE) checking bags.

JetBlue, Southwest etc. are not options in much of the country so people may not have a choice but to fly the legacy airlines. Delta, American and United all have instituted these types of complicated pricing arrangements. They’ve done it to keep up with JetBlue, etc. So basically they are trying to be all things to all people- budget seats mixed with regular seating that has all the perks you describe. That’s where people get tripped up. They don’t know what they’re getting.

I hate. checking bags, too, I almost never do which is ironic because I can check two for “free”. Well, prepaid.

1 Like

I prefer to check bags.
Why do you dislike checking them?

I don’t fly often at all.