Royal Pacific or Portofino with 3 kids

And last question of the day. Has anyone actually stayed at Royal Pacific with 2 adults and 3 kids (7,10,15) ? Is there even space for a cot in there? I really like the theme and proximity to parks but I’m not sure if it is doable for a whole week.
Other option is Portofino Deluxe room (we need a hotel with Express) but I am not crazy about the onsite restaurants, everything seems so expensive and its a little far to walk to Citywalk with 3 kids in tow for all our meals. Is it inconvenient to take the water taxi all the time?
Thoughts??
Thanks!

Portofino is amazing, we like it a lot better than Royal Pacific. The water taxi is very convenient, we have stayed there twice and both times used the water taxis a ton. They are fast and arrive/depart frequently. If you have been to Disney and have dealt with the buses…this is nothing like that. Not crowded, very peaceful. The rooms are definitely bigger at Portofino. We stayed at RP on our first trip and the rooms are pretty small. We had 4 of us, and set up a twin blow up mattress between one bed and the window. It was pretty tight and that might be tough for a whole week. Portofino rooms are very spacious. My favorite option for your family of 5 is actually at Hard Rock, not sure if you have looked there. They have deluxe queen rooms that have 2 queens and a pull out couch. There is a lot of space so you won’t feel like you are falling all over each other. Another benefit is those rooms are in the wing closest to Citywalk and the parks, so it is super fast to get to both walking. All 3 hotels are lovely, you can’t really go wrong with any of them. I just wish the rooms at RP were bigger.

2 Likes

I love Portofino with adults, but with kids Hard Rock is my favorite. Is Hard Rock available? I have not stayed at Royal Pacific, but my brother has stayed there. He liked Royal Pacific, but said he preferred Hard Rock.

2 Likes

I was not initially considering Hard Rock , but I will look into it for sure! thanks :slight_smile:

Thank you! I was not really considering Hard Rock, it is my least fave in terms of theme and it seems a little noisy and in your face ( I could be completely wrong) but a pull out sofa would be a life safer. and walking distance to the park is bonus. I will check it out for sure!

1 Like

I actually have that same plan: 2 adults and 3 kids, with kids similar ages (little big younger on the two older kids). My plan is for my DD7 to sleep on the chair that has an ottoman. We had a good situation in another similar hotel not that long ago. I just hope the chair is big enough. We have not yet been to the hotel.

1 Like

We have done RP with 2 adults and 3 kids (a bit older than yours). It was tight but manageable. Although we liked RP, we prefer Hard Rock or Portofino (my kids prefer Hard Rock and I prefer Portofino).

1 Like

Yes, I think RP is now out of the running. Its really going to be between the deluxe rooms at PB and HRH. I think I’ll just wait and book whichever one I can get the best deal on. Ill be buying the annual pass so fingers crossed for an APH discount.
Did you find HRH very loud? In my head , I picture a bunch of drunken 20 somethings. Is it still geared toward families?

1 Like

I have never experienced that at HRH and we have stayed there multiple times. It is very family friendly I think. And HRH is a super easy walk to US (or a nice boat ride if you prefer).

2 Likes

Great to hear. The more I read about it, the more I am liking it. Thanks everyone for the advice!

2 Likes

I confess I did not read the other responses before answering, but I have stayed at both hotels with two adults and three kids, and far and away, I would choose Portofino if for no other reason than the rooms are larger. We put an inflatable mattress on the floor without a problem.

Edit: Having now read the other responses, I can say that I also stayed at HRH though only when it was me and my sister. Portofino is still far and away my favorite hotel, and my three children (8, 11 and 14) told me it is the best resort they have ever stayed at and they want a vacation to just go back and stay at the hotel! They did not like the pool at HRH when they pool hopped and much prefer the pools at Portofino.

2 Likes

Never!

Not at all. The only issue we have had in the multiple times we have stayed there is one time the fire alarm went off at 4am and a voice kept repeating (through the speaker in all rooms) to stand by for further instructions. It would have been fine, but it repeated every couple of minutes for over an hour, so no sleep was to be had. I suspect someone pulled the fire alarm. Other than that, it has been wonderful. Plenty of families around. The pool is better than RP as it has a slide (and RP’s pool is so shallow, it feels like a hot tub instead of a refreshing dip in the pool). Also, the last time we were at Hard Rock (in 2018), they delivered a huge piece of cake to the room, as well as a coupon for a free ice cream at the ice cream store in the hotel, and a Hard Rock birthday pin. It was a lovely surprise.

3 Likes

I remember seeing a video by I think Brian of TP doing a nice walk through of a HR room. I think this was on you tube.

1 Like

I assume you’re looking at the Premier hotels for the Express Pass, so I’d say RPR with a cot would be your best bet. If you’re open to other hotels then the two bedroom suites at Cabana Bay and Endless Summer would work well for you too.

I found the music in the lobby to be super loud. I had a hard time hearing the agent that was trying to check us in. Other than that 20 min exchange, there was nothing loud and obnoxious to me, and we really enjoyed the hotel. The proximity to the parks cannot be beat.

1 Like

I stayed at HRH with my brother’s family 5 years ago. My niece was 10 y/o and my nephews were 7 y/o and 5 y/o. They all loved it. When my brother went back, he stayed at HRH again. I don’t recall any noise that was bothersome to me or the kids.

It was so quiet at HRH that I worried DS and I might be disturbing people when we played the radio.

2 Likes