RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

Today’s demand for DHS/Epcot is unusually high - guests with stays starting earlier this week already went to AK and MK, so they are focusing on the new parks. It is also opening day, which always attracts locals and bloggers.

It is also our first view into what limited capacity really means. Since for most days demand is below capacity, it was impossible to tell how full WDW could get when filled to the new capacity.

Of course, shows being cancelled on DHS means there is nowhere for people to go but lines, but that was probably taken into account when establishing park capacity.

Disney is trying to get demand closer to capacity, with the new deals, more slots available for APs (and more discounts, and being able to book 3 days + reservations). Let’s see if they will accomplish this.

1 Like

This is true. I was glad to hear the “Up” replacement is actually open in AK, which helps there. Hopefully they can get shows like BatB and Indiana Jones opened up to help with the crowds as well soon.

1 Like

I might have missed it already, but…

If I were successful in obtaining a 10am BG, are they restricting the ability to obtain a second and/or 3rd BG for the other time slots?

1 Like

Yes, limit one per guest per day.

1 Like

This is a change that I’m SO glad they are doing…and never understood why they hadn’t done it from the start BC (before COVID).

1 Like

Has anyone tested it to ensure it is enforced? For some reason I do not trust Disney IT got it right.

1 Like

Just to give an idea of how the lines are for various attractions at HS:

Looks like the morning is the busiest for pretty much all attractions. I’d maybe do something like Alien Swirling Saucers and/or Star Tours in the morning (getting in virtual queue for RotR right at 10am), have an early lunch, then ride everything else.

1 Like

From the data, I probably wouldn’t change my touring style for rope-drop. I typically head to ToT and RnR at rope drop. While heading there, I would attempt for a BG.

Other headliners would need to be adjusted for…now that MMRR is part of the equation, it is going to make life more difficult.

2 Likes

I have to keep watching the numbers over the next two weeks. My thought, at the moment is that if we do NOT get an early BG (or don’t get a BG at all) for ROTR, then we would go immediately to SDD. This is based on what we saw for the last two days…today SDD was down first thing, which makes my analysis today somewhat skewed.

Anyhow, do SDD, then TSM and ASS, then head over to Sunset Blvd and do ToT and RnRC, before swinging back around to ST and Muppets. At this point, we’re ready for SWGE and then MMRR.

But I’ll likely change my game-plan in the coming days.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good solid plan. If SDD is important to you , then I would head that way first.

1 Like

Considering how late the park is opening and BG distribution, the park will probably start very full and get progressively emptier as the day goes by.

3 Likes

It isn’t that important to me. Seems like a minor ride to me, but we’ve never done it. Still, for the past two days (not including today), SDD wait times were almost NOTHING first thing in the morning, and only started to creep up after a couple of hours. So, if that continues to be the pattern, that’s our plan!

Looking at wait times right now, you would want to make sure you have gotten through ToT, SDD, and MMRR in the morning. That way you reduce your wait times.

Right now they are : 60, 40 and 90 respectively.

1 Like

Yeah. I expect MMRR will be shorter towards the end of the day. So either we’ll do it then, or wait until our second day.

Or not.

Or something else entirely.

Or who knows!?!

1 Like

Ok sorry if I’m late to the game on this but I just noticed this. “Queues”. Plural. As in more than one. Are they planing to have more than just RotR as a virtual queue? Maybe Ratatouille when it opens?

1 Like

They haven’t announced any other virtual queues at the moment, and in fact they said there wouldn’t be any virtual queues at all until they reversed course when announcing RotR would have one in the last week or so. The only other virtual queues right now are for shops (!).

That said, if and when Ratatouille opens, I wouldn’t be surprised if they use a virtual queue there as well. Although they may not need to - MMRR doesn’t have one and it is practically brand new (opened like a week before WDW closed).

1 Like

Oh right!!! I had forgot about entering queues for shops.

1 Like

is it weird that i’m excited for ROTR spreadsheets? I’ve been looking at Covid ones for so long, It really made me happy!

5 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one! :slight_smile:

I thought this was always the case? I didn’t think you could ever enter the queue more than once?

1 Like