RotR - Suggestion

At first, I really thought the “reverse entry” idea was pretty awesome (basically, if you don’t get a BG/BGG, they could just add a PH to that specific day), but as I’ve been mulling it over, I’m trying to figure out if it just exacerbates the situation.

The obvious pro is it gets people out of HS to relieve the morning crowds there and into other parks while giving you the option to try HS again another day.

But, just for thinking this through, let’s make it simpler and let’s say everyone has 4 day single park tickets and they plan to spend one day at each park. So, EVERYONE goes to HS on their Day 1. And everyone that doesn’t get a BG/BBG reverses out their entry and goes to a different park. Rinse and repeat on days 2, 3, and 4. They are now there and trying multiple days, as opposed to having to decide whether to add PH or cut a different park, thus removing a barrier to entry and actually increasing demand.

While it would make people with single park tickets feel better to have additional chances, I think it just increases the number of people trying each day without doing anything towards giving more people a chance to ride. I’m not sure it even increases “fairness” really.

Still trying to think through all the angles on this idea. Thoughts?

1 Like

Oh no I have an Epcot ADR on my DHS day

I’m not saying they won’t figure out a way to accommodate, just I haven’t specifically seen that case scenario.

What time is your ADR?

@Jeff_AZ have you seen anything about them accommodating non HS ADRs?

1 Like

Which brings me back to the point that Disney, first and foremost, has to get this running at full capacity a vast majority of the time.

If, in May, our first HS day we don’t get ROTR, we won’t be trying again, despite planning two days for HS…our second HS we are only planning to arrive after noon to avoid the mad-rush of RD, and the days after our HS first day are already allocated to other parks, so even giving me a “free” next day park ticket won’t help anything at all…we wouldn’t be going to HS.

Basically, I’m the kind of consumer Disney likes…I don’t get what I really want, but don’t demand anything as a response…but this is just because I would rather enjoy all the things there already is there to enjoy. I’m trying not to let ROTR upset that.

BUT, if it wasn’t for the fact that my family (apart for me and my wife) likely won’t be back for at least another 3 years, I’m willing to TRY for ROTR at least once this trip.

4 Likes

This^.

Unrelated: I know the article brings up very good points and is still, on the whole true, but the assumption that everyone who’s gunning for a boarding group would, instead, get in a 5, 6, 7, or 12 hour line is not correct. The problems listed would still occur (blocked walkways, huge queue to manage, people not spending money) but it would not immediately fill up with 17,000 people.

4 Likes

5:35 Spice Road Table. It’s pretty much a placeholder ADR though because I couldn’t get what I wanted at DHS.

I think they’d work with you on that if you were willing to come back to HS after your ADR if you checked with them before you left HS. (ie, let you ride after your BG window. You could ask about riding early, especially if it was getting close to your BG, but no idea if they’d allow it.)

Side note. We loved the food at Spice Road Table!

Ok, hopefully that’s fine. I was already planning on coming back to DHS after the ADR for Fantasmic and EMH. Alternatively, I could just not plan a sit down meal for that day.

I have seen instances of that happening. Talk to the CM early in the day when you get your BG if it looks like you may have troubles. For those who are planning for 60+ days from now, I would recommend doubling up on reservations on multiple days to ensure you don’t miss a coveted dining spot due to RotR.

1 Like

True. Since you can cancel most dining reservations up until midnight the day before, that’s a pretty good plan.

1 Like

Or you can use the bump and dump method, if it agrees with your conscience. (I think it’s fine, especially in this circumstance where your availability to attend your reservation is out of your control.)

1 Like

Found a solution to my possible problem. I just checked the dining reservation page and I found a wild Mama Melrose Fantasmic Package which was at too good of a time to pass up. I guess it’s just good to keep checking!

2 Likes

I’m obviously spending WAY too much time thinking about this. But it’s appeasing my Disney withdrawal…so…

I’ve never looked into AP. What are the normal restrictions on AP as far as blackouts, FP, ride limits, etc?

I’m wondering what restrictions would help reduce demand from AP that they would consider “understandable” as opposed to “excessive”. Once every 30 days? Every 6 months? Only on Wednesday’s or whatever (so everyone else know they had a better chance on other days)?

Obviously unlimited chances would be their preference, but what would most be reasonably ok with?

Limiting re-rides is one of the few ways I can think of that reduces demand in a way that seems to actually make the process more fair.

1 Like

I totally agree with your voice of reason in a sea of noise and not waiting in line forever.

1 Like

At WDW there aren’t a lot of blackout times for the most common APs. There are 4 tiers and only the cheapest gives you any significant blackout times.

There are no ride limits. AP can make FPP 30 days in advance and only seven days worth of FPP every 30 days. However, if an AP holder books an on-site hotel room then they get all the standard FPP booking guidelines. (There are currently no restrictions on APs getting BG since it’s not a FPP)

I’m sure ppl who bought an AP before any hypothetical blackout took effect would be very upset. IMHO - this ship has already sailed, for blackouts, and WDW doesn’t really care if everyone gets a BG or not. The crowds have shown that ppl are going to go even if it means possibly not getting a BG

As you know, you can only ride once per day as is. This doesn’t stop APs from coming out multiple times each week to get a BG and hangout. They’re spending money on food & etc… so there’s no incentive for WDW to stop them. At DLR it’s common for APs to get a BG and then go home to wait if they live in the area.

So, what is the problem you have with the current system?

• Complexity?
  • the process itself is unpleasant?
  • Uncertainty?
  • The fraction of people who get to ride every day is to low?
  • Fairness?
  • It makes RD crowds to big?

This. The entire dynamic of going to HS has changed due to this. Other than that, however, I think the system is a great one for the moment.

3 Likes

Life is quite crazy right now, so I’m not “stalking” the boards and social media like I have in the past. What do the rumors/predictions say about when the BG system will end and the ride will transition to FP/Standby or if that will ever happen? I have a trip in July and have 2 days set for DHS, but I’m not a RD’er, so I need to prepare myself for “crack of dawn” if necessary.

Until they get the thing running without issues, plan on it using the BG system for the foreseeable future. I’m planning on them still having BGs when we go in December.

Of course, who knows with Disney. They like to surprise (aka, frustrate) us a lot.

1 Like

For me it’s the uncertainity. Getting up early, fighting these huge crowds and then praying I’m fast enough on the app to grab a BG is just stressful. You can do all of that and still not get a BG. I’ve been practicing at home and apparently I suck because I have not been successful.

1 Like