RotR - Suggestion

Right now, if I don’t get a BG or BBG at opening, i can decide to go to a different park and try again tomorrow. If there are additional drops, do I hang around for a few hours to see? Go to another park with no idea if I’m going to need to come back or not?

Yes, there are people with BBG that don’t get to ride, but at least people that definitely aren’t going to get a BG or BBG know that right at the start of the day si they can adjust accordingly rather than being on edge all day hoping.

3 Likes

It was just my thoughts on limiting AP at DHS. They tend to come out more on the weekends, having already been on it multiple times, thus limiting tourists from even having a chance to ride. For all I care DHS could block them out for a couple months. Doing on the weekends was a comprise :smiley:

@JonathanDoud - I’ve worked in theme parks, not Disney. The average guest is pretty uninformed about how all this works - including even using MDE. I can just see the line of angry ppl coming up with excuses about why they didn’t get a 1pm BG. At least by doing once at open you avoid that issue. I do like the conversation this topic has started! :smiley:

@meekomist - IMHO - post needs a spoiler picture warning. It’s my fault for opening it when I’ve been trying so hard to avoid it all. Two of the three pics were new to me . It’s not the end of the world, but I wish I had known.

I, too, am in favor of BGs. The issue, IMHO, is distribution.

This article has a few fallacies. It only explores two options other than using BG and doesn’t really explore in depth on how a BG Advance Booking could work, expect by using 60 day FPP guidelines.

Plus, they use the maximum capacity number to make their case. DHS doesn’t have to distribute 17,000 FPP. They can limit it to half that or less to avoid the delays causes by breakdowns and do other options. Worried about MDE crashing at 7am? When doesn’t it?? The app crashes in park too - which IMHO - is worse because I’m there and could have gone to MK, but don’t have a park hopper.

Anyway… it’s a good article and make a solid case, but doesn’t really address the distribution issue that started this thread.

2 Likes

Great read and IMO right on point. There is never a perfect solution when demand far exceeds supply… But this is a pretty good one, flaws and all. I really hope Disney is smart here and sticks to their guns. BG’s are working.

2 Likes

I like the BG concept and the requirement to be at the park and to distribute the day of. They expected crowds and craziness for SW:GE and honestly were unhappy about the lack of it before ROTR opened. But there are two issues that I have with the current process:

1. a 10 sec glitch in app or data can move you from BG to BBG or to no BG at all and that problem is out of your control (and maybe even the fault of Disney IT). No good workaround unless they go the BG lottery route. and
  2. if you don’t have PH passes, tapping in to HS and not getting a BG limits your options for that day and maybe for trying again later in your trip. I’m sure Disney is probably happy to sell more PH tickets, but maybe they could reverse entry for guests at 8:05 who want to go elsewhere bc they didn’t get a BG even if they don’t have PH tickets. How many people at RD don’t get BBGs?
5 Likes

My number one suggestion? Disney get this ride running at full capacity!

6 Likes

Is it just breakdowns causing it to not run at capacity or other issues? I’m afraid there will always be breakdowns on this type of attraction.

That would be nice to let you reverse entry if you don’t get a BG but I don’t know that that’s something they’d buy into. Plus, now you have to go to another park without any FPP or ADRs.

1 Like

That’s the problem. If the ride is breaking down all the time, it wasn’t ready to be a ride. In Disney’s rush to get this thing running, in their desire to start recouping some of their investment (since SWGE itself with MFSR wasn’t enough to draw in the crowds) they needed to get this up and running ASAP. But it can’t keep up, now, and so they are essentially drawing in crowds for an attraction that is essentially in beta-testing.

An occasional breakdown is understandable…but when it is running at less than half the capacity it should be in an on-going basis, it is really just another form of money grab from Disney.

1 Like

but do you really avoid the issue? To me it is no different than a line of angry people who got to the park at opening and werent able to get a BG. I’m not saying it is the answer - and I appreciate the back and forth. It is fun brainstorming this topic all the while knowing we have absolutely no influence on what happens ha ha!

2 Likes

Another possibility would be to put everyone in an arena together and fight to the death…last ones standing get the Boarding Groups.

No, I’m serious. I read a book about where they did that kind of thing before… :wink:

4 Likes

Only if you’ve purchased a PH ticket. What about the people who don’t have PHs? They are stuck in DHS for the day.

2 Likes

True, but it would at least help some people.

Multiple drops wouldn’t change the number of people that can ride. In fact, there would be additional people trying for the midday drop that weren’t there at opening so even more people trying that don’t get to go that day. I really think an official midday drop just leads to more disappointment.

I’m thinking the added uncertainty and resulting disappointment outweighs any benefit in reducing early morning crowds.

Maybe quietly add more BBG midday if they find they have excess capacity, but I really think it’s better to get them all out there at the beginning of the day instead of leaving people hanging.

2 Likes

True, definitely issues no matter how its handled. Wonder what percent of capacity ROTR is running on an average day? I realize we cannot know this, but it might give insight into how they might change operations in the future.

My only problem with the BG system (granted, I haven’t experienced it first hand yet) is that disney wants us to plan everything 60-180 days out, but we don’t know if we can even get on the newest ride. I have FastPasses and ADRs. What if I’ve just sat down for dinner and my 1 hour return time BG gets called?

2 Likes

You should have planned for that.

:wink:

2 Likes

I know that you’re joking, but still…

Amen!!

I get what you’re saying, and if they could have taken two more months and gotten a flawlessly working ride, they should have done that.

But if it would have taken them six months and the technology is just so complex that daily breakdowns are inevitable, I think they did the right thing. By opening the ride, more people get to ride it, plain and simple. Not every ride is super high capacity but they still open every day. Letting 2/3 the people who want to ride go on now is better than letting 0 of the people who want to ride for a year or more till technology catches up to what they are trying to do.

4 Likes

They’ve been very accommodating for those sort of situations. As you watch how BGs are progressing, if you see a probable conflict with an ADR or droid/saber reservation, you go to RotR entrance and they tell you how to proceed to allow for both. (Get the CM name just in case, but I think pretty much everyone has had success stories with this.)

Caveat: I’ve only heard about this happening for HS ADRs, not any stories about ADRs outside HS. M

3 Likes

or you just hope it all magically works lol. We had Droid Depot and Oga’s ADR, and a FP+ for I think it was TSMM. All the stars aligned and the RotR BG we got fit perfectly in between and we made everything with no issue (RotR was also running smoothly that day). The second time, we did miss a Star Tours FP+ due to RotR going down while in line, but we just went there after the ride and they let us use the FP+ line with no issue.