ROTR, RD, and the wretched virus

Definitely not social distancing there!

But I love how Mickey is in his, “And now presenting…!” pose as if to demonstrate to us JUST how classy it is to stick your finger in a troll’s nose!

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I never even caught that aspect of this photo!

2 Likes

I know I am in denial, guess it’s because I want to Believe in Magic. (Trip scheduled 2nd week of May) still holding out for Magic :disappointed:

1 Like

Of course last week I had the perfect TP and great times on my FP’s , knew it had to be too good to believe.:persevere:

Our trip started May 10. We just today decided to push it back to June 10. Hopefully it won’t need to further be pushed back to August.

1 Like

I also don’t think it’s feasible at all. Queues help hold people off of midways. If you dump them all into the midways, they can’t observe social distancing anymore.

Magic Kingdom is 107 acres (according to Wikipedia). If everyone needs a 6 foot radius, then you could fit 41,247 people in the park. Now this excludes space occupied by buildings, landscaping, ride areas, back stage, etc. and it’s excluding the fact that people have to move, sit, eat, and ride things. Generously, you’re looking at 20K and even that’s optimistic. I’m not sure they’re making money at that point. (Although maybe all the costs are already sunk costs from investing in capital improvements, so even with 20K guests you’re still making gains?) For reference, MK’s average attendance is 57K.

2 Likes
  1. A lot of people don’t use phones, so how would they virtual queue? I know most do, but I’m willing to bet that a lot of older guests don’t use them or at least are not saavy on them. 2) it’s not possible to have something like Disney be open and also do social distancing / sterilizing. It’s either open as it usually is or not. That’s just my opinion of course but I don’t see them making it a virus safe place.
1 Like

That’s a good point. I know there are still FastPass kiosks around the park for non phone users…so I suppose those could be used?

Thinking about it, sunk costs probably overwhelm operation costs for WDW. And they are probably able to scale operation costs with number of guests, by closing some stuff and running others at half capacity.

But I agree that social distancing and amusement parks just don’t go together, unless they do some pretty strong measures, like enforcing mask usage.

1 Like

I wonder what they’re doing in Shanghai and if it’s applicable.

Never mind. They’re staying closed.

But if you scale operations by closing things, then that’s even less room you have to hold people. That’s the rub. You basically would need to intentionally waste a lot of space and a lot of ride capacity which can’t be good for your bottom line (not to mention guest experience).

1 Like

Hm…so I messed up my math. A 6’ radius circle would mean 12’ between families. We actually only need a 3’ radius circle (so 6’ between families) which would mean 160,000 circles. But when I actually look at the satellite photo of MK, I would guess that only 20% of the space is usable by guests. So you’re still probably looking at 20-30K families.

I think I just heard that the average attendance in MK is about 57k people. So, 20-30k families could be handled, it seems. Of course, in practice, there are plenty of areas where people wouldn’t just “be”. Even when I’ve seen MK really busy, there are some places where wide expanses of concrete have no one, and other places folks are standing shoulder to shoulder, based on flow of foot traffic.

I’m not following your math. Each person needs a 3 foot radius, because the other person’s 3 foot radius totals 6 feet between people.

For simplicity, you can make it a square - each person has a 6x6 square they stand at the center of = 36 sq feet per person. 107 acres is ~4.7 million sq feet, so nearly 130,000 people could fit (before you subtract the buildings, etc).

Not to say that 6’ social distancing can even remotely be accommodated by MK or any theme park. I just found it a fun exercise :slight_smile:

Yeah. I corrected myself about 30 minutes before you did. :wink:

1 Like

Ha! sorry, I probably hadn’t refreshed my window in a while before I responded :slight_smile:

Disney will perfect or obtain licensing rights to a 5 second COVID test. All guests will be screened when entering the Disney Bubble for their vacation period. Guests that test positive will not be allowed on property. Guests that refuse to be tested will not be allowed on property. All CMs will be tested.

Once a guest enters the disney bubble, they will not be allowed out until their vacation stay is over.

This will allow them to herd guests like cattle as they have done before. And ensure all guests just swap other diseases…like they did before COVID.

The only problem I see is it will take them too long to construct the 15 foot high electric fence around the entire property to keep the riff-raff out.

:yum::yum::yum:

2 Likes