RotR Important Details and Opening Day Timeline

So beggars can’t be choosers and we should be happy to get a BG at all and whatnot, but is it possible to modify a low BG to a later one? Looking ahead to 1/7 and I have FPP scheduled in the morning and would love to head back to the hotel late afternoon so would love to try to swing a late morning/early afternoon BG.

No modify per se but you can drop the sequential one you are issued and apply for another one after waiting a minute. Kinda risky with BGs opening to everyone all at once though.

1 Like

Did someone mention the CM with their tablets might be able to do this? Somewhat safer perhaps?

They might - I have heard of someone being able to be added to a BG that others in their party were already in (obviously don’t expect this to always be accommodated) so it might be possible for them to select a particular BG. Worth asking a CM when you’re there.

Im not there till mid Feb and planned 3 mornings at park (water park in afternoon if we fail to get ROtR , stay if we do) but man the excitement is building :slight_smile:

MASSIVE thanks to all but esp @jeff_AZ for his amazing work.

So couple of questions, Do we know ho many people are in a group., and if you arrive say 45 mins before it opens whats the chances of getting a group. They go fast in the 30 or so mins, is that because pretty much every one that there fills it, or is it first through and fastest fingers booking.

Never done Disney before only universal, as disney was 50% more expensive so been saving our trip for the Starwars opening.

1 Like

Got a later start than I wanted - empire being up at 4:30. Had some trouble getting a Lyft. Finally got into a car at 5:56. Went bag free and there was zero line there. Got in and are lined up along the green mesh on the far right side. DS1 is keeping himself occupied with the play app.

Checked the app and BGs are not open yet. Announcements made that they’ll open at 7am but someone on the app says another CM says to keep checking the app.

Waited a beat at 7:0o and then opened the app. Got boarding group 8!!! And quickly too a screenshot in case anything glitched. Proceeded to follow the crowd to the Millennium Falcon. I’ll have to check time’s but we waited maybe 20 minutes. Got pilot too. That’s a one and done for me. Made me very nauseous. Stopped for restroom break and to grab cokes. Then Rise!

7;58 entered Rise queue
8:27 into storm trooper room
8:35 waiting for last room?
8:48 off ride!

My son loved it. I loved all the different tide elements and appreciated that Disney really did something quite unique. Thanks to this group and this tread for all the advice.

4 Likes

We arrived at 6:05 via Lyft and at 6:30, they have yet to open the taps. Multiple announcements that the ROTR Virtual queue will open at 7 am when we first arrived, but it’s been radio silence since.

Ooh! Taps are Opening now (6:31 am)

3 Likes

Good luck folks!

(I love this thread and I’m not even going till April!)

1 Like

But now you get to pick your HS day. If they just assign you one because you have a reservation they just picked your HS day. What if it is an EMH day you would have prefered to avoid HS? And if you don’t have hoppers you are stuck there. Honestly - I hate to have WDW “lock me in” any more than they already do.

1 Like

I just practiced joining a boarding group so i know the Process :smiley: and im not there till feb

3 Likes

Good point. If they went to a FP ONLY system (that is, no SB line), it essentially gives on-site guests priority to the ride, while also giving them more of a say in the time than BGs do while acting like a BG.

1 Like

Amen to that! My biggest peeve of WDW is how much it has turned into a planning fiasco compared to the good old days when you could just show up and have a good time. (Ahem…have I mentioned my dislike for FPs?)

3 Likes

Can’t figure out how to edit my previous post - it took us almost 30 minutes to get through the taps (into park at 6:57) and started refreshing like mad once we were through. Got our BG at 7:01, and are in group 20. Pleased, of course - til we were informed that Slinky’s down until further notice. In line for TSM and hoping that SDD is open by the time we’re finished. Thanks to all in this post who helped me plan our strategy !

7 Likes

We’re going in April and now I’m starting to get worried. It’s a short trip with one day VAH, 2 waterpark days, 2 parkhopping days. We were going to RD AK for FOP and RD EP with a PPO at GG. We were prioritizing GE at night, based on liners’ reports. We are so screwed!

1 Like

Congrats!! Hey @AlyQ I hope you got your BG!!!

3 Likes

your up :smiley:

1 Like

What is the recommended order now that the VQ is opening at official park opening time? Should Smuggler’s Run go first or SDD?

1 Like

Random tidbit. The CM who checked our bags said there are 500 people per BG.

4 Likes

Yeah, they are guessing wrong. With approx. 120 BGs per day that would put the ride capacity at 60,000, or 5,000 per hour, when in reality the ride can reportedly handle up to 1700 per hour. I’d put the BGs at around 100-125 on average. It’s possible Disney allows number per BG to slide a bit in either direction to make it harder to estimate park attendance and to account for changes in conversion ratio later in the day.

1 Like

Generally, SDD & rest of TSL, then ToT & RnRC if you want to do them, and MFSR later in the day. I rode it with a 25 minute wait at 8pm on Monday. The park lends itself well to 1 long day with a midday break if you follow that order. We were slow and spent lots of time getting breakfast and coffee, but still did TSMM, RnRC (FP), watched a show, and rode RoTR before our 11:45 lunch. Came back in the evening to ride ToT with SDFP, and did everything we wanted in Galaxy’s Edge (including Oga’s, DB7, and finding all the things DS’s droid could activate).

3 Likes