RotR Announcement?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance ride in Disneyland will open for D23?
Maybe they will make a surprise announcement during D23 that the RotR is now “fully operational!”

1 Like

I want the ride to open ASAP so all the immediate demand will be met before I get back to DLR or WDW next year!

1 Like

Jim & Len recently commented, on Disney Dish, that the rumor is that DLR & WDW are going to open RotR simultaneously. When that is wasn’t known, but SWGE opens in WDW 8/29/19. So, if this is true it won’t be until after D23 (8/20 - 8/25)

3 Likes

There is a slim window that WDW’s previews (for annual passholders that will occur before the official opening on 8/29) do overlap with the end of D23 so it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility that they do open simultaneously AND that D23 ends with some announcement to the effect of a “full operational” RotR.

I’m certainly thinking D23 with those who are guests of the convention getting some sort of privileged access is a prime possibility for how they handle the opening.

2 Likes

Just saw the announcement that RotR won’t open at DLR until January. Kind of bummed because I was hoping for an August miracle. Does this change anyone’s plans? I know I’m now thinking I need to find a way to go between the opening and when my pass expires in late January since I’m not sure I will renew.

1 Like

I have plans to go to WDW in May 2020 and DLR in August 2020 so the opening dates don’t really affect me, other than I was hoping the masses would have had a chance to cycle through the initial boom by that time. Hope you can make it in late January - at least that is a typically slow time at DLR.

In fact, I’m thinking that’s why the chose that time. At WDW, they just wanted to get it open ASAP. For DLR, they probably didn’t want to encourage people to put off their vacations for this one ride, so 2020 sounds distant enough that people could still do a trip this year and come back again next year. Plus they drive up attendance in the slow winter months.

2 Likes

Looks like they aren’t opening simultaneously. However, I’m guessing this mean D23 guests probably aren’t getting a sneak preview or soft opening either.

1 Like

Probably right about no D23 previews! That would’ve been really cool though. I remember in 2017 when they announced that the new F! would debut 2 nights earlier than scheduled and D23 guests got FPs for the reserved viewing while anyone else just had to wait in limited standby areas. So would’ve really been cool for something like that to get pulled off for RotR.

1 Like

I’m super surprised that RotR is opening in WDW first and in DLR not until next year. Especially with how much they kept sticking to the “later this year” line. But maybe, hopefully it means they wanted it at a slower time to do some previews (maybe even AP previews) for the new ride. It’s going to be amazing either way & I’m excited to try it for the first time!

From what was discussed on Disney Dish Podcast - DLR started construction first, but had issues with the trackless system. They had to go back and redo a lot of work. This means when the WDW version construction started they already knew about the issue and avoided it.

3 Likes

I thought this was interesting verbiage from the Disney Parks Blog post:

As soon as work is completed at Walt Disney World, Imagineers will head back to California to complete their mission at Disneyland Resort where Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance will open on Friday, Jan. 17.

I wonder if they mean this literally - certain Imagineers / project leads are in Florida right now, working on the RotR, but NOT working on it DLR? I’m sure they have a team working both places, but this implies their main focus is WDW. I felt slighted by that, as someone who lives closer to DLR.

2 Likes

Must say I’m sort of relieved at the announcement. Trip booked for early December with multiple families. As much as I want to ride it, I was having a lot of anxiety over the possibility of it opening right around our trip and throwing a huge crowd monkey wrench into all my plans. I’ll happily give up the one ride for the opportunity to have a more manageable resort. We’ll come again a few years after opening.

3 Likes

Not to mention DHS is (or at least has the appearance of) getting to keep their Jedi Training. We had hoped that something within GE would replace it, but I highly doubt it since it may not jive with the story they are going for within GE.

And it’s a shame as before GE, that was really the only part of Star Wars that my kids really, truly absolutely loved. They do like the droids quite a bit and building them in GE was super fun. The ride was pretty good too, but aside from that, we haven’t been too crazed to get back to GE. And we still so miss Jedi Training, so seeing DHS get to keep theirs makes us long to get back to WDW! (We’ve had 2-3 trips get bumped back & back & back again due to budget, school breaks getting removed from future years schedules, etc.).

Anywho, I still love our DLR but definitely felt very similar to you about it & obviously Jedi Training.

2 Likes

Our castle is bigger than your castle. Enough said. :wink:

1 Like

Those are fight’n words!

2 Likes

Well, I mean, you can fight over them if you want. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t true:

Of course, Shanghai still has us beat, so we’ll stay hush hush about that one.

2 Likes

Right there, you are trying to compare apples to oranges. You are comparing Auroras Castle to Cinderella’s and that is simply not fair. Not to mention, do you know how much real estate goes for in Southern California??? Poor Aurora is over here just trying to get by and keep her guests happy, while Disney keeps neglecting her for Cinderella’s swampland castle. Who’s the ugly stepsister now :unamused:?

2 Likes

Yeah yeah yeah. Cry me a river.

Our castle is still bigger. :wink:

1 Like

Okay, I conceed you are correct.

Touche!

1 Like