Rope Drop Questions: HS and AK

We are 9 people with 2 older adults and 3 kids (will be pushing in strollers). Everyone is excited about SDD but we could not get a FP (got one for TSMM later in day), so planned to RD on a predicted CL 7 day (3/5). However, given recent posts, I am concerned about craziness, line-cutting, flying elbows, etc. If we get there at 8am (for 9am open) and are near the front of the line, can anyone estimate how long our SDD line will be even if we are passed by many?

For AK, CL 6 (3/6) we DID get FOP FP for evening and don’t care about N’vai River Ride. What time should be get to park (for 9am opening) in order to be signed up for Wilderness Explorers and on our way to Expedition Everest around 9am? I am assuming we can come a little later since we will be heading in the opposite direction of Pandora.

Thank you for all of your help! 25 days out and EXCITED!

1 Like

The last time I did RD for SDD was last summer and we were not near the front and only waited about 20 minutes. I try to be more relaxed with walking at RD to avoid the crazies.

You should not have to show up that early on your AK day if you aren’t headed to FOP. We arrived at actually park opening at 9 and walked onto Navi without a wait and then went to EE with a less than 10 minute wait. So I think maybe 8:30-8:45 should work for you.

1 Like

If you are headed to EE at 9, you can walk in at 850 and ride several times with no wait. Last May, we arrived about then, RD’d NRJ, then EEx2, then Dino, and made our FPP at KS before 1030. I think Wilderness Explorers doesn’t open until 10 though.

2 Likes

Thank you - this is very helpful! My family will be thankful for a day I am not making them be to the parks an hour early!

1 Like

Wow! Maybe we will consider NRJ then. Thank you!

I was amazed how dead the rest of AK was–it seemed like literally everyone was at FOP. We accomplished so much in our first two hours.

One thing that might help is carrying the kids once the CMs start walking everyone to TSL. They walked us all the way to the SDD line so there wasn’t any running or pushing that I saw. If the kids are already out of the strollers (or are big enough to hop out unassisted), 2 people could park the 3 strollers and then you wouldn’t fall back as far in the line.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen NRJ, you should try to see it. I thought it was beautiful. Very serene and a nice start for the day.

1 Like

Thank you Cgerres! Yes, they are 4, 5, and 5, so they can hop out. Thought strollers would get us there faster (and help keep us from losing them). I hadn’t even thought about stroller parking . . . Thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’d like to see it, but given the project crowd level, am concerned that we will get bogged down in Pandora and miss out on Everest, etc. Thank you!

Maybe play Navi by ear depending on what time you arrive. Everything but pandora is held at discovery island until 9.

We RDed AK on Christmas Eve EMH. DD headed toward FoP while DH and I headed to NRJ. I was using a walker, and he was in a manual wheelchair. (I say this so you understand that we were sloooooow). We got up to NRJ and rode it without much of a wait. When we were done, we sat and rested while we waited for DD. Afterwards, she headed right over to EE and had no trouble getting to ride it. I think she rode it three times that day. Being Christmas Eve, it was very crowded. A Christmas 10 is much worse than any other time of the year 10. We were shocked to see that the FoP line shot up to 180 minutes in a matter of 20 minutes. NRJ was maybe 60 - 80 minutes around park opening.

I’m just saying this to ease your mind. You do what seems best for you.

2 Likes