Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Data

We will be there on Tuesday…sigh… They are gone in 2 minutes. I’m scared our phone will glitch.

1 Like

Today should be the last day of the holiday crowds. Hopefully Tuesday will be calmer.

6 Likes

I was on the app this morning practising my fast finger action for my forthcoming trip and I’m pretty sure regular BPs were gone by 7:01 again and not 7:03 as stated here (Sun 5th).

What the heck? BG’s gone within ONE MINUTE??? How can this be a valid method of letting customers (who have paid thousands of $$$, planned trips for months, and oriented family plans), ride the biggest ride they’ve gone to all that trouble to go to?

My WDW trip is coming up this weekend, planned HS next week. CL will be much lower, but this kind of thing makes me very nervous for what is the lynchpin of the trip.

4 Likes

Any idea how these numbers compare to the DLR numbers?

RotR opens on January 17th at DLR.

1 Like

HOLY cow thats just sad that Within a minute its GONE. That must be hell for so many who had hopes of seeing the ride. I think Ifd rather have the option of committing to a 3-4h wait than to be effectivly denied due to fastest finger At least that way i have a Choice a crap choice maybe but a choice.

I wonder if they should have a Stand by line that moves REALLY slowly but if you join it 3h later you know you will ride. So a little less boarding groups but a choice for those prepared to wait

BGs gone within a minute means that it is effectively a lottery. There are more people who really want to ride RotR and arrived at the park before it opened than the ride capacity for the entire day. When they released BGs before park opening who got to ride was determined by order of arrival. I think I preferred order of arrival, but I understand the pros of having it as a lottery.

2 Likes

It was more to do with the earlier and earlier arrival times that prompted the change I think.

It meant they had to have the park fully staffed from 4am or even earlier, and just encouraged more of the same.

The current way means they control when they open the tapstiles.

2 Likes

They could have some employees at bag check and tapstils and hold people on Hollywood Boulevard, with rides, shops and food all closed and BG starting whenever tapstils open.

Yes, but that still means they have to have staff in at say 3am to man everything. Without having any idea of there will be 100, 1000 or more people.

By only opening an hour before park opening, the staff would already be there.

Regardless, they wanted to stop the “race to get there earlier each day” and the way to do that was to tighten up procedures.

3 Likes

I think Disney should do a hybrid version. Do the current opening process but allow people to join a BG once they tap in.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting info and data. This is fascinating… what a dilemma! (We are going to HS Tuesday, but skipping the RotR challenge entirely.)

If a family did all that just to ride ROTR, that would be silly. But there is never a guarantee to ride any ride at Disney, let alone the newest most popular.

7 Likes

I probably missed this somewhere in the post, but are they still waiting until half hour before opening to let people in HS? If it’s any earlier, could that account for the boarding groups being snatched up so quickly? There could actually be more people physically in the park at opening when boarding groups are released?

But then you are back to where it started. People will show up earlier and earlier to be first in line to tap in.

I think they need to just eliminate the virtual queue. Have people wait in line if they are willing. Those most desperate to ride will wait. Everyone else will just do other stuff. In the meantime, those waiting for ROTR aren’t clogging other ride queues.

2 Likes

Yes. This appears to be what is happening now.

I think the boarding groups have a great benefit for a new ride that may have a lot of break downs cough cough Hagrid’s cough cough. In that you do not have an entire queue of people angry that they have been waiting for hours to only not get to ride it.

However, once the operations have smoothed out a traditional line is going to please more people. One caveat is that the queue for RotR is pretty short. Last night they had the queue past the opening gate, but the wait was still only about an hour and 15 wait. Not sure why they built a queue so short.

5 Likes

Definitely would not plan a trip just around a ride! I have waited a year or two before going on a new ride because there is no way I’m wasting my time in line for 3+ hours! (i.e. 7DMT, Radiator Springs) I don’t mind this process at least it gives me a solid chance, without a long wait. We have two HS days planned, so we have a backup. I’m sure this week it will stop disappearing in a minute as the crazy holiday crowds go home.

Hmm, no solutions for me but maybe they should at least upgrade non PH tickets to PH if you don’t get a BG and are tapped in by park opening. Most difficult for those that came mainly for the Star Wars rides but only have one day allocated to HS. I’ve got an AP so I can at least try again if I don’t get in.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out at Disneyland.

3 Likes