Rides that are ok on blood thinners

Hi all, new here. We’re planning on being at Disney the beginning of December. I’m in my 30’s and generally healthy except I’m on blood thinners for life. Last time we were there my kids were super young so we didn’t really worry about any coasters. This time I’m wondering what others experiences are on the coasters mainly in MK. Do you think big thunder mountain is extreme? Or Space mountain? Not sure what would be considered “safe”. My doctor pretty much just said don’t hit your head. I don’t think he’s familiar with the rides. So it’ll be up to my interpretation but I’m not sure what rides actually throw you around. Thanks for any tips!!

2 Likes

This is a bit older, but might be helpful:

And welcome!

1 Like

I’m not about to give medical advice on this level…
But - how much to you bruise in general?

1 Like

Haha I officially will not hold anyone accountable for my decisions at Disney. Generally I’ll bruise like other people who are clumsy would. If I cut myself I don’t bleed a lot. I pretty much always have a bruise somewhere (usually small) but I run into stuff a lot and I don’t think it’s much different from when I was younger. Also, the bruises are never that bad…

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll take a look at this. I tried searching and didn’t see this. The more I can get from others experiences the better a decision I can make.

1 Like

Ok I just read the thread and it was super helpful! I might just be going for it! I’ll do what my 5 yr old can handle lol

1 Like

Thanks for asking this question!

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

I would avoid Rock n Roller coaster. Even with no health issues, my head feels heavy after being bumped around on this one.
But you probably would not take 5 year old on it.

4 Likes

Welcome @Ecurryrn_804150!

I was going to mention RnR, too. I remember feeling that my head bounced around too much and that if I didn’t hold my head against the backrest. Even without health issues, it’s one that bothered my neck enough that I skip it.

3 Likes

If that’s the criteria your doctor has given you I think you’ll be fine to ride everything. WDW isn’t known for being a thrill-seeker’s park. If you were going to Universal we’d be having a different conversation. But at WDW I think you’re good.

There’s only one ride that I consider to be really rough and that’s Space Mountain. It jerks you around some, but you still wouldn’t hit your head.

Oh and I see someone mentioned RnR as well. That one does have an over-the-shoulder harness and you might feel more jostled around on it and knock your head some. Good mention @eug2506

2 Likes

This was the first one I thought of.

1 Like

I bruise easily and Astro Orbiter has always left me severely bruised on my legs. I think it is something about climbing in/out of those metal vehicles.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone!! Space Mountain is one that I keep going back and forth. That and Big Thunder… I don’t really care about bruising on my legs/hips bc that wouldn’t matter long term but I worry about jostling my brain around in my skull too much and I just do not remember the intensity of Space Mountain or Big Thunder M. We aren’t going to Hollywood Studios this time so that’ll be easy to avoid RnR! Ha

3 Likes

BTM is really slow at the front. I’d avoid sitting towards the back.

1 Like

FWIW, I have a 24/7 headache (for over 6 years now), and the one with the motion that is the most uncomfortable for my head at Disney is Tower of Terror. Not jostling so much as the sudden jerks.

On all the coasters, intentionally pushing my head back against the headrest cut down on a lot of the jostling, which lessened the discomfort significantly.

I didn’t attempt Mission Space Orange but Green was fine.

Not sure how that translates to your brain jostling, but that’s how the different forces come across to my sensitive head. :sweat_smile:

So fiancé is on blood thinners-

And I don’t wish to give you any medical advice- I don’t even play a doctor on tv-

But please consider your time of year if this is a new medication for you…for Keith at least Pradaxa and heat do not mix well…like getting dizzy and passing out- which leads to the OMG off for a Ct scan…

Because of this we avoid Disney transportation- waiting for buses water taxis ect cause us more concern for him than attractions

1 Like

First of all, I’m sorry you’re living with a permanent headache. My husband suffered for years with that as well until he had major jaw surgery. I appreciate your insight for sensitive heads. In our family that is important info! Thank you! I’m amazed at how much everyone knows and is willing to share. Grateful!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the thoughts. Your comment about not playing a doctor on tv made me chuckle. The weather doesn’t seem to effect me much. I’ve been on the meds for over a decade and it strangely makes me feel more normal regardless of the weather…or at least I’ve never noticed before. I live in a similar climate to FL so maybe that will help too.

1 Like

How about Everest? Any opinions?

I think it would probably be fine.

1 Like