Rider switch in the G+ / ILL era

Hey friends, back here after about 4 years now, starting to plan WDW trip #3 for the 1st week of march 2024 :slight_smile:

There have been 2 additions to the family since our last trip and so this time we will be going with a 4.5 yo and a 2 yo as well as our ā€˜ā€˜veteranā€™ā€™ group of 2 adults and a now 12 yo. So, this is going to be our first time using rider switch / baby swap. Itā€™s also going to be our 1st time without FP+.

My questions: does rider switch always mean waiting the lightning lane twice ? How long are those ? Does the necessity of using rider switch increase or decrease the value of paying for Genie+ and/or ILL ?

Thanks in advance ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes (and this assumes you have LLs for each rider in your group).

It can vary, but usually my LL line waits have been about 5-15 mins, but Iā€™ve walked right on and Iā€™ve also waited as long as 20 mins in an IL line on occasion.

1 Like

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

OK so this brings another question then: Iā€™ve been told older kids can ride twice when the parents baby swap the younger kids. Is that true ? Does this not work since the older kid cannot have double G+ or double ILL ?

I havenā€™t thought about this before, but my initial thoughts are ā€¦

If you use RS without LL, then the first group waits in stand-by and the second group goes into the LL line. If you use LL/ILLwith RS then both groups get to use the LL line. So it seems overall for an individual attraction the value of having an LL isnā€™t changed by whether you use RS or not.

But, using RS means you are spending more time at each attraction than if everyone rode at the same time so I can see the argument that LL/ILL is more important to your overall day if using RS.

2 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what I thought as well. The TPs will be a bit thrown off too because of that. This trip will not be cheap :rofl:

1 Like

Sort of :slight_smile: Here is my understanding of the RS policy on this point:

It used to be that the second parent could take 2 additional riders (the kids) with him/her even if the kids were riding a second time.

But the new rule is only 1 additional rider.

So, one of your kids could get a second ride at each attraction, but not both.

2 Likes

Excellent, thatā€™s actually all we need !!! :slight_smile:
Thanks again man

1 Like

Important Note: From my experience, some of the CMs donā€™t understand the RS rules so you should have WDWā€™s RS rules webpage bookmarked during your trip.

Here was my experience at 7DMT last year ā€¦

DW, DD8 and I all had ILL for 7DMTL. DS4 did not have ILL and did not want to ride. I told the CM we wanted to use RS where first DW would ride with DD8 and then I would ride RS with DD8.

The CM said ā€œnoā€ because DS4 was tall enough to ride and RS could only be used if DS4 was not tall enough to ride (ie it didnā€™t matter than he was afraid to ride as long as he was tall enough). I spoke to a second CM at the ride who ā€œconfirmedā€ this. I ended up not using my ILL because I didnā€™t want to ride without DD8 (for me, so much of the fun is riding with my kids).

Back at our room I pulled up the RS rules from WDWā€™s website. I was correct and both CMs were wrong. I spoke to the front desk of our resort (Bay Lake) about this. They called guest relations who confirmed that I was correct and the CMs didnā€™t understand the rules. Fortunately we had 1 more day at MK and DD8 and I were each given an ILL at no charge for 7DMT.

2 Likes

Wow, that must have been pretty frustrating !!! Thanks for the tip, I will definitely get that page in my phone !!!

1 Like

Your TP gives the option to select ā€œusing rider swapā€ for rides with height requirements, so it will factor in the extra wait and ride time. Of course, the reality is always that the process will take a bit longer than thatā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you, they really thought of everything, havenā€™t they ? :slight_smile:

Another wrinkle that I encountered a few times last year was that they would not actually issue me (the waiting rider) a separate Rider Swap ā€œpassā€ if I had a LL for the ride. They just told me to use that LL instead. Which screwed up so many things that I often just didnā€™t get to ride. This happened at 7DMT, Space Mountain and I feel like at least once elsewhere.

2 Likes

OK now thatā€™s really bad !!! :frowning:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not right. Did you speak to guest relations?

1 Like

I didnā€™t bother because it was oddly so consistent across multiple rides. I would love to hear that I caught an off-week!