Rider Swap with Elderly

Has anyone had experience using rider swap for people other than children? We are traveling to WDW in October with my elderly parents. My mother has Alzheimer’s and won’t be able to ride several of the rides that I think my father would enjoy. Is it possible to use the rider swap in this situation?

This explanation from the Disney website is not specific to children, but I’ve not heard much discussion about this situation:

“If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!”

We will try and use it next week for a 12yo that can’t ride “thrill” rides.

I’ve quoted the above passage on other WDW forums and had my hand slapped because “that’s not how it works,” and “no one abides by what is written on the website.” :roll_eyes:

I doubt they have a specific policy - but I really can’t imagine a CM turning you down if you explain the situation to them.

No experience, but in my mind Alzheimer’s is equal to small child…my mother had it. I would think you could use it if you explain she has Alzheimer’s and someone needs to stay with her.

As for the 12 year old, they should be able to stay by themselves. I don’t think the rider switch will work unless he has a disability.

He does. He is on the spectrum and will have a DAS pass.

We are going to make an audible in the moment to see if he would be okay if he waited w/ us in line and then utilizes the chicken exits…but I won’t know if he will be okay with that until we get there.

2 Likes

I hope the r/s goes smoothly. Have a fabulous trip!

Thanks for your help, guys!!

There was a chat discussion on using rider swap for older children or adults a few months back - one good suggestion someone made was to have a screen shot of the policy from the web site ready on your phone for reference in case the CM doesn’t allow it for some reason.

That’s a great idea. Thank you!

Please report back. I would lI’ve to know the answer. My fall yr old is tall enough for most rides but is afraid of most rides.

1 Like