Research Study Seeks Disney Fan Families!

Hi everyone,

I hope this is OK with the moderators, I’m trying to reach Disney fan families and this seemed like the ideal place but perfectly understand if this post is removed or moved!

As the poster says, I’m a PhD researcher at the University of Kent in the UK, looking for multigenerational Disney fan families to interview about the role of Disney in their family.

Participants can be anywhere in the US and must be available for recorded online interviews (not necessarily all together, and not every family member needs to take part). I am looking for three generations of Disney fans or more, e.g. grandparents, parents and children.

I am very friendly and come from a multigenerational Disney family myself, and I like to think anyone participating in this study will find it both fun and rewarding! This purpose of this research is to evidence how Disney fandom is passed down from one generation to the next, and also the role that Disney might play in intergenerational bonding.

If you have any questions or would like to express an interest in participating in this study, please email crm40@kent.ac.uk

Also, feel free to pass this poster along to anyone else you know who might be interested!

Thanks very much!
Cariad

5 Likes

Hi Catiad - I am bumping this up on the forum list so others might see it. I am only a two generation Disney family so not of much help.

4 Likes

This is the reason I haven’t stepped up too. Otherwise I would be quite happy to help.

4 Likes

My mom actually introduced me to Disney and I feel in love on family trips. But my parents haven’t been in 30 years…

5 Likes

I am in a similar boat. Only 2 generations but my parents did introduce me.

My mom came with us once, for our shared birthday on a whirlwind 4th of July weekend (our birthday is the 3rd) where I called her the day before our birthdays and she said “we should go for our birthdays?” and I asked her “This year or next?” and she said “This year as in leave tonight for tomorrow?” and I said “Yea, we’re thinking of packing up the car to leave now” And she said “THIS year!” But that was 10 years ago now and I’m pretty sure she had fun, but hasn’t felt compelled to ask to come again with us.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the bump! I’ve just looked at some of your topics and saw that you are a parent of a Disney fan, so you definitely would still be able to contribute if you would like to, as it would be interesting to discuss where your Disney fandom started if not influenced by your parents!

I am definitely keen to hear from parents of teens who do Disney things together and bond over that fandom, so please do feel free to get in touch if you want to find out more about the study. Email me at crm40@kent.ac.uk or drop me a DM on here.

Hi thank you so much for your interest, definitely do drop me an email so I can send you more details (or a DM on here) if you are interested. i’m trying to find out where and how that Disney fandom within the family starts and then is passed down through generations, so even if it started with you and not your parents, that’s absolutely fine, as we can discuss that!

1 Like

That’s really interesting and you absolutely would qualify for the study as we can discuss how you were introduced to Disney by your parents and then how you have introduced your own children to it. Please feel free to DM or email me at crm40@kent.ac.uk for more info!

Oops sorry I realised I wasn’t quote replying! Can you tell it’s been a while since I was actively chatting on forums instead of just reading and lurking :joy:

Just to clarify, you don’t have to have 3 generations of active Disney fans in your family to qualify, and you definitely don’t have to live in the same household. The study is trying find out if Disney fandom can in some ways be ‘inherited’ from parents, but if that didn’t happen for you but you became a huge Disney fan and then you are passing it on to your kids, that’s still important! Hope that makes sense.

Also, it doesn’t have to be a straightforward grandparent-parent-child family, maybe you have uncles and aunts who passed on their love of Disney to you, maybe you aren’t a parent but you have nieces or nephews that you watch Disney movies with.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

I sent you an email.

Thanks very much I’ve replied, would love to have you on board!