Renting a DVC or booking directly through Disney

Last year they offered Point Protection and that cost extra.
This year it’s built into every reservation.

3 Likes

We are staying at our first DVC this October BWV, and are now on the hunt to add an extra day. So we already hav the DVC bug without even staying in one yet!

So I just realized that there are two places with similar names! We are renting from this site----DVC-RENTAL - Welcome Home. Sorry for the confusion. I also need to add this place to my list when I look for my summer trip!!! Again, thanks for sharing. I find soooo much good information from this forum and chat~~~

1 Like

Wow. Thats really confusing!!
Great to hear you’ve got your bases covered

What company did you get insurance from? Are there restrictions?

The first time I went through USAA bank, which we use. At that time, I was mainly concerned about my dad (who was post-chemo) getting hospitalized and needing to cancel. They had a decent price for that kind of coverage (as long as I listed him as one of the people I was covering). This time, I specifically looked a for a policy that would give a full refund for a “cancel anytime for any reason” type thing, because I read so many horror stories of people being told that COVID closures/restrictions/etc didn’t fall under a covered cancellation reason. I ended up going with AXA Assistance USA, which is underwritten by AIG and had a decent price for the anytime add-on.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for prompt response.

I never rented point before (though we have stayed at DVC resort booking directly through Disney).

Is David’s better that DVC rental store?
Should I wait until 7 months out to rent at 19$/ point (looking at AKL 1 bedroom - prefer Jambo house)

1 Like

Both are about the same and each has certain benefits. I have gone through David’s and thought it was great customer service from beginning to end.

I would book ASAP. You never know what availability is going to be like, especially with the glut of points due to Covid. So I would suck it up and pay the premium.

You could also try booking through an owner - Disboards has a rental board you could use and lots of rules and guidelines to prevent fraud (which does happen, so be careful). Personally I prefer going through a broker.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m also thinking about booking whatever is available through Disney as a back up…

1 Like

Not a bad idea. You could even hold out to the 7 month with your backup in place if you’re feeling lucky. (High risk, high reward.)

1 Like

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with Davids. I would put in request as soon as you can and agree to have a backup room reserved through Disney. We put in our request for Poly for next June knowing it wouldn’t get fulfilled right away. Davids recommends 7 month mark but I couldn’t wait. I am preparing myself to wait a long time for it to be fulfilled, if at all. Booking YC as back up.

2 Likes

It can’t be longer than 11 months out though, correct? Thank you!

I would recommend DVC Rental Store. Used them in 2014 (BLT), 2016 (BC) , 2018 (GF), and for our stay at Poly in 6 days. Professional, helpful, great customer service, and communication. They have never given us a reason to try someone else. Can’t go wrong with them.

3 Likes

Correct. In my experience 11 months out is the furthest out you can book.

1 Like

You can put in a request with Davids earlier, it’s just that an owner can’t book for you until 11 months out. But by requesting it earlier they can have an owner lined up to book for you. I think they accept requests 12 months out.

2 Likes

That’s right. DVC Rental does the same.

1 Like

DVC Rental will give you credit if you cancel the booking, up to 100% depending on how much notice you give.
David’s goes with a strict no cancelation policy.

2 Likes

That makes it a lot easier to choose! Thank you

1 Like

Do we have to make the payment when the request is made or when the room is booked? Thank you!