Renting a DVC or booking directly through Disney

We have used David’s vacation club rental multiple times and have nothing but good things to say. They gave us a credit due to Covid and we just used it in April staying at grand Floridian. We are already saving for our next trip in a couple years and we will use them again. We used AAA to buy trip insurance for $125ish and would recommend them as well. Just buy insurance same time as you book with David’s. Enjoy

5 Likes

oooh bad for business if they did that, but I’m sure they lost money too

one thought on not being able to change dates/rooms after booking the rental; Our cousins travelled with us in April and they had a split stay at grand Floridian then moving to the Polynesian. They didn’t love the looks of the construction at the Polynesian, so they requested to stay at GF. There was availability at GF, and the studio deluxe villa is in the same rate class, so they were able to stay at GF. Davids vacation club policy is no changes to reservation, but when you are at Disney , they can change as long as you stay in same rate class.

1 Like

wow good to know

and for what its worth, they originally weren’t able to be at GF their entire stay due to lack of availability. May have just got lucky or might be something to keep in mind going forward, stay in deluxe rate class and hope for switch

1 Like

I’ve never done a split stay while renting points. Last time we stayed at BLT on rented points, I added a night by booking directly (stupid waste of money) but I did get put in a room that allowed us access to the tower for fireworks on the additional night on front end. I asked 3 times if we could stay in that same room and they assured me yes; came back from MK that first day to find someone elses bags in my room. They asked me if I could/would move. Had I not unpacked and had groceries delivered, I may have, but said NOPE

We were told, explicitly, that we had to come back to the front desk on the check out day of our FIRST booked stay, at which point they would assign us back to the same room for the rest of the booked stay. (Basically, a split stay in the same resort.)

If you didn’t actually go to the front desk to “checkout/checkin”, then they will re-assign the room you are in.

Now…if you did that, but they still put someone else’s stuff in you room…don’t know what went wrong!

I did indeed do that!!! TWICE on same day. Did it while checking out from first night and then right before we left for MK that same day

I’m puzzled who moved them? Did the resort offer to move them in a like for like move due to them complaining?

A request to move, whether an upgrade or moving resorts shouldn’t be done by the front desk, and usually they won’t unless the owner requests it, because they have been known to screw it up in the system. They should ask the owner to call Member Services and get it done that way.

There is no such thing in DVC as a “rate class”. That sounds like David’s terminology. In which case they must have contacted the owner and the owner agreed to modify the reservation. But rooms at GFV would be a different number of points from the Poly.

Either way that would be highly unusual and no one should expect that to happen unless there’s a problem with the room.

They weren’t happy with construction at the Polynesian so went to the front desk at GF and requested to stay remaining days at GF instead of moving to Polynesian. The GF made a call (not sure to who) and said since they were moving to studio deluxe villa at Polynesian they could just remain in their studio deluxe villa at GF . Maybe they called member services, not sure,just relaying our experience. Hope it helps

1 Like

Thank you- all I could think about was the poor owner losing points.

3 Likes

Sounds like the resorts just moved them under “guest recovery” as they would if there had been a water leak or something. I think they just mark it as a recovery or something and leave the DVC system unchanged.

I too wanted to reiterate you should never switch your room you booked with rented points to a different view, # of bedrooms or resort. Even if Disney says “sure”, it could be that they just take those points from the owner, because they think you are the owner or the owners friend.

Whether you mean to or not, that means a real financial loss to them. Lack of flexibility in changing rooms is the downside to renting DVC you have to go in expecting.

1 Like

Question: What DVC rooms come with 2 standard queen size beds?

Only studio/1 Bedroom with 2 queen beds I see is an OKW studio.

Looks like most Studios and 1 Bedrooms have one queen and a pull out sofa. Do you have to go 2 Bedroom to get 2 regular queen size beds or better?

1 Like

The new construction have a pull down queen bed instead of the couch bed (SSR, Riviera).

2 Likes

As resorts get full refurbs the sofa beds will be replaced. But a soft goods refurb like at the Poly is getting very soon won’t replace the sofa bed.

And you have to get a “dedicated” 2-bedroom which they do not have at all resorts.

I have been going back and forth about this for a while. Since Disney said they were going to extend benefits to Deluxe members (I believe later hours in the park) I only wanted deluxe for our February 26th trip. I just signed a contract to rent DVC points for Boardwalk Villa’s for our next trip through DVC Rental. I am also purchasing insurance through AIG Travel Guard. I emailed and called them. I was very concerned about insurance b/c I was getting mixed reviews, but they said if I am renting points that are non-refundable from a rental organization that it was covered. I saved my email and am making sure I keep copies of all my paperwork. Fingers crossed I made a good decision b/c we are saving a lot of money!!! Keep us updated on what you decide!!!

2 Likes

If you rented through the DVC Rental Store their policy is to “refund” you a credit for cancelling.
The amount of the credit depends on how close your cancellation is to check-in but it could be up to 100%.
Not sure how that would effect your travel insurance (presuming that’s who you rented from).

Thank you for the feedback. You have to pay extra for that added to your reservation. We thought the travel insurance seemed like a better option, but we could be wrong. Our concern is always that something happens literally last minute and you don’t get a full refund if something happens super close to the trip. I actually thought about doing both. Fingers crossed we made a good decision. Lots of phone calls have been happening this past week! LOL!