Remember when you could

You can still get that one! The photo booths for it are outside the exit gate in MK.

4 Likes

Yes, we got a bunch during our last big family trip when the now 15yo was 9! A CM was standing at the exit of the Speedway handing them out as we left.

1 Like

My eldest was 6 at the time but maybe it was just late at night and the driver forgot/run out.
I remember we were riding from CR after dinner at Chef Mickey’s and the monorail was practically empty. Caught the tail end of the Electrical Water Pageant.
License or not, it was pure Disney magic on our first night

3 Likes

The electric computor machine tells me that’s the case.

1 Like

I had the same experience and I was so utterly confused after we rode it together in 2010.

6 Likes

I remember after a long day in the parks going to the clubs at DD - and dancing the night away. :blush:

6 Likes

I had forgotten about that!! Pretty sure that’s where my sons were able to meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

2 Likes

Definitely - their ‘sewer hideout’ was right across the path from the playground, and they’d be over there in the early 90s

1 Like

My sons were 9 and 4 in '93. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

They were so much fun!!

I miss the Osborne lights. and all the different areas in the future world pavilions. I loved walking through the house of tomorrow

4 Likes

I was just thinking it was Gopher from Winnie the Pooh. But a gopher is not a beaver :rofl:

1 Like

Ride in the front of the monorail.

They should bring that back.

1 Like

^this! They were awesome!

2 Likes

But they never will.

That tragedy was reported around the world. If it ever happened again but with guests in the cabin I can’t imagine the repercussions.

2 Likes

I remember one year, they told us that our refrigerators would be able to order our groceries for us. ROFL!!!

1 Like

Which is odd because you CAN still ride in the nose at DLR… can’t you?

Guests to the Toronto Zoo often complain about the huge hill down to the paddocks housing the Canadian animals. It often prompts most guests to skip that part of the park altogether which is too bad because it’s quite a large chunk of land albeit the animals are very dispersed.

But the layout didn’t anticipate people walking, it was based on the presumption that guests would be riding the monorail. And they did until an accident in the '90s injured a bunch of guests.

And that was that.
Shut down. Grown over. No monorail.

The bison and muskox must wonder where everybody went.

6 Likes

Yes bc that’s a newer monorail. The ones at WDW are ancient and were never tested for safety in the front car for a collision.
DL monorails are the Mark VII and were replaced in the 2000’s I believe.
WDW monorails are Mark VI and from 1989.

1 Like

Ah. I didn’t realize that about testing and age.

It occurred to me after posting, too, that it might also be related to speeds and purposes (DL is mainly an attraction, likely moving at slower speed, but WDW is mainly a mode of transportation, likely moving at higher speeds and also perhaps with more trains on the rail at a given time)

1 Like

I must’ve been under a rock whenever this was. What happened??