Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

We (DH, DD16, DS 14, DD9 and myself) left WDW last Saturday and stopped at our oldest son’s house for our grandson’s 2nd birthday party on Sunday. We got home Tuesday. So far no one has gotten Covid from our travels but my DD16 did get a cold from her niece! (Covid tested and remains negative)

5 Likes

Were.in Disney June 20 to 29th (left after a flight cancellation). DW and I started feeling off on the flight home, tested positive that night. First time with COVID. DS12 tested positive a day later. DS5 hasn’t gotten it, but he had it a bit more than a week before our trip.

We are all already recovering after fairly mild cases. At this point I just have congestion and fatigue. DW is a little more fatigued than me but otherwise fine. DS12 seems to have more energy today.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear this after you had such a good trip. I am 2 for 2, got Covid after each of the last 2 visits. Unfortunately this time I brought home to DW.

4 Likes

I got it too on our Jun 15-20. And hubby got it from me. DS was fine. Hubby got it worse than me but we’re both better now than we were at our worst. I’m pretty sure my lingering stuff is mostly allergies but I do get out of breath easy.

4 Likes

Had a trip Jun 24-26 at the end of a longer beach vacation and came home with Covid. My last booster was in Dec. The rest of the family has escaped it so far - their boosters were much more recent. I’m blaming standing in the Peter Pan line (we did it to escape the rain) LOL.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I hope you are recovering, and that the rest of the family is fine. :heart:

2 Likes

Just a non-Disney data point: My brother and sister did NOT go to Disney, or anywhere in particular, and both just tested positive for Covid (they’re doing fine, just mild symptoms). They do not live in the same city but did meet up last week for dinner at my parents’ home.

Just thought it might be helpful to throw this out there so that people aren’t reading “Disney = Covid” as the only combination. You can get it anywhere, including at home.

14 Likes

If people were only getting it at Disney, it would be pretty easy to avoid!

10 Likes

Of course, but even among my social circle it does seem like a fairly high number of people come back from Disney with Covid (which makes sense given the number of people encountered at Disney). My family did not get Covid at WDW, but I suspect we took more precautions than most (masked at all times inside except our resort room and no indoor dining).

Not for Liners! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea this was the first trip I wasn’t masked and it’s the first one I’ve come back with Covid and I went during delta and omicron peaks.

2 Likes

Went June 3rd through 8th…took no precautions this time…didnt even bring a mask with us. Unlike the 2 trips prior where we didnt even eat indoors. It was crowded…but no covid. Likely pure luck since we just went about our business like covid didnt exist. I was having too much fun to care really.:woman_shrugging: so yes you can go and not get covid.

3 Likes

I was at Universal 6/18-6/24, no COVID for the 3 of us (although 2 of us had it about two months prior). No additional COVID precautions taken beyond our vaxxed and boosted status.

3 Likes

My dr uncle said antibodies last up to 4 months. So I think people who have been boosted or gotten Covid within the last four months must statistically be less likely to get it again during that time frame but after that I don’t think our vaccines or previous cases help keep us from getting it again. He said September there’ll be omicron specific Covid vaccines that should help us a bit more fingers crossed. I wonder if we’ll be able or recommended to get them every four months if so.

1 Like

For sure but travel in general does it. A lot of people I know came back from trips and got it.

1 Like

These days, going out in public or being in any gathering does it. The latest strains spread like wildfire.

10 Likes

Totally agree with this! Before this strain, I only knew a few people who had COVID. But with this strain, I know so many people with COVID and most of them weren’t traveling!

BIL works from home and wears a mask whenever he goes to an indoor space outside of home. He got COVID and shared it to the rest of his family.

5 Likes

Very true. But planes and airports especially are bad. And you do more than you normally would. We’re very cautious and mask indoors and hadn’t dined indoors yet but just got back from the beach and did several indoor meals. We’ve been back 4 days and feel fine so fingers crossed.

5 Likes

FWIW, October is best case scenario per FDAs meeting last week and the manufacturers.

4 Likes

Add me to the list of those that came back with Covid. Just got back last night and tested positive upon arrival. Started feeling a tickle in my throat Sunday night but rapid test came back negative. Double masked on the plane and in the airport just in case and then tested again upon arrival home. So far, just basic cold symptoms (fully vaccinated and double boosted). Wore a mask at all indoor qeues, but DD14 who was with me did not. So far, she is testing negative, but she just had it in May so she might have better immunity than me.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity: For people coming back with Covid, is this your first time getting it if you are vaccinated?