Real Talk: Disney World on crutches?

So we leave for Disney on Saturday. We’re there for 7 days. Yesterday I tripped walking home from work and I have the worst sprain of my life. I am following doctor’s orders, and icing it and walking as best I can. But 36 hours after the injury, my “best” is hobbling between my bedroom, the master bathroom and the kitchen. (We’re in a bungalow. I can barely get to the front door.) I cannot imagine that I will be back up to walking at full speed - or for long amounts of time - when we hit the parks on Sunday.
Have you (or a member of your travelling party) ever had to use crutches or a wheelchair in the parks? Was it unspeakable awkward? How much did it slow everyone else down?
(I am going with my husband, two teenagers, my 65 year old parents, and my 33 year old brother and his fiancée).

I have an associate who used a knee scooter and the handicapped entrance to the attractions and things worked out well for him and his traveling party.

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine using crutches in the parks. Thanks to injuries we have done Disney with a wheelchair, ECV and multiple times in a walking boot. But never crutches.

2 Likes

I spent a year learning to walk again after an accident. I’m an expert on crutches to this day and there’s no way I’d ever go to any theme park that way - especially WDW. You’re going to have to get a wheelchair or an ECV.

Whatever you do, stop walking on it now. You can do permanent damage by stressing it this early. Personally, I’d postpone, cancel or let the family go without me. However, I know that’s a tough decision to make when you’ve been working & planning so hard. But from someone who has a bum leg from overdoing it when on an injured limb - I’m a bit biased.

2 Likes

The doctor actually advised me to walk on it as best I can, he said using the muscles was important to recovery, and I’ve already been to physio and was told the same thing.

We’re definitely going. The trip is non-refundable at this point, and it’s a multi-family vacation. We can’t rebook. I guess I will be choosing day by day to rent a wheelchair, or if that’s just too much, I’ll be day drinking at the pool.

3 Likes

Check out the knee scooters. And there’s a peg leg kind of thing that straps to your thigh. I don’t know what you sprained and these might not work.

Also, don’t rule out simply using a cane. It’s wonderfully supportive. I have a hip and/or knee that flare up occasionally.

Another better option than a wheel chair would be rent a stroller if your dr and physio both say walk. A stroller that you push. And your family can stow all their ponchos and water bottles and purchases.

I hated it when we didn’t need to bring the stroller any more. More supportive than a cane. But my cane folds up a lot smaller.

You’ll definitely have a different trip than you planned. As you’re there with extended family you’ll be able to have fun and make memories.

3 Likes

Unfortunately my knee is pretty bashed up too, so I’m not sure the knee scooter would be comfortable. But, I was wondering if a cane might be more doable than actual crutches.

The stroller rental isn’t the worst idea either.

1 Like

My DH’s heel spur flared up just before our DLR visit last Oct. He used a knee scooter and it worked out great. We didn’t have to go to Guest Services to get some special voucher because we were able to incorporate his temporary disability into our MaxPass. We would check in at attraction exit and get a time to return so he could rest until our time. The only time it was a pain to move around was when it was very crowded in the evening at CAA because DL had a MMNSSH event and it pushed crowds into CAA. I am sure WDW has some kind of program also.

So sorry this happen to you right before your trip. I would have a back up plan beside the crutches. I know the doctor said to walk on it but WDW is so much walking and with the crowds you could trip and fall. There are companies you could rent EVC for 25.00 per day with a 3 day minimum and will deliver to your resort. I think Disney is 50.00 per day. The cane is a good idea along with the EVC or knee scooter. This way you can walk with the cane to and from the rides, stand in line without putting to much pressure on it and then use the EVC to mobile around without slowing your family down. Travel safe and enjoy!

3 Likes

Earlier this year I took 4 Disney trips while recovering from a broken ankle. I would suggest the knee scooter but apparently that will not work for you. It is not easy on the knee and if yours is already banged up don’t try it. I did use a cane and a wheelchair. You can rent a wheelchair at the parks for $30. Worth every penny as long as you have a willing member of your party to push you around. If you park hop you only have to pay once a day, you do however have to return at the first park and get a new one at the next. No big deal it is a quick process. They also have a courtesy chair to take you from the park to the bus. I used the chair for the long distances and then used the cane to get on the rides. Good luck, hope it feels better for you.

I’d rent an ECV so you have independence - and so nobody has to push you! It is hard going!

3 Likes

In 2008 I sprained my ankle about a month before Disney. I was fine for walking, but 2 weeks in I didn’t think I would be. I can’t imagine doing it after 1 week. I did find a cane much easier to use than crutches but agree you will need more than that for Disney.

Earlier this year I did a trip report “WDW With a broken ankle” I used a knee scooter which doesn’t sound like it will work for you, but maybe the report will still give you some hints. I hated crutches. I got calluses on my hands and my wrists hurt like crazy. Also for me on uneven surfaces the crutches would not always stay where I set them and it would unbalance me. A wheel chair might be good for you, you could use it as kind of a walker when you wanted to be on your feet and sit in it when you needed. What ever you choose Disney is great helping people that need a little extra attention. Go and have fun.

3 Likes

A sprain can get worse soon after the injury for a few days and then quickly get better. I don’t like taking medicine but Advil/anti-inflammatory is a most. Assuming the doc told you to take some. Also surprised he told you to walk on it so soon. Moving it/stretching is very important but you need to rest it. You want to do that regularly but I wouldn’t walk on it. I’m not a doctor but play lots of sports and get these minor injuries all the time and it’s what doctors have told me for years. Good luck!

How about a boot? It lets you walk but takes the weight and pressure off the hurt parts. I broke my foot last year and was in one for a few weeks. I coudn’t step on my foot without it for the pain, but in it I was fine. It also has the advantage of protecting your poor injuries from the crowds and people who may not mean you ill but just are not paying attention.

2 Likes

My DD arrived home from college on crutches the day before we left for Disney. We had already rented an ECV for my elderly mom so we added on another from Buena Vista Scooters. They also suggested we add on the crutches holder - worked wonderfully.
Also worth noting, some rides require you to wear 2 shoes. My DD only wore a flip flop on one foot and was turned away at 7DMT (rode it earlier in the trip no issues but this CM said it was against the rules) so we rode separately so she could borrow her brother’s sneaker. After that we always made sure she brought her extra flip flop with her in the parks!

1 Like

The stroller is like a camouflaged walker.

The knee scooter would be for ankle of course.

You can test the stroller theory out before your trip very easily. See if the shopping cart at your grocery helps.

1 Like

I strongly recommend going the scooter route. I’ve done the crutches thing in crowds (at conferences and malls, not a theme park) and they were constantly being kicked, hit, etc. One time it was enough to send me to the ground, a second time I was clipped by a stroller and somehow I was able to keep enough balance that I did not fall directly on top of the stroller. I don’t even want to imagine the difficulties of navigating WDW on crutches - at least not in the parks (the resorts would probably be OK).

2 Likes

Disney is $70/day! I was shocked. My wife was really struggling one day last week and contemplated renting an ECV, but couldn’t stomach the price.

1 Like

holy moly!!!