Ready to Run...a return to RunDisney races

Truth.

1 Like

I agree. Even on my long run days I need to have coffee. I usually drink a bottle of water for each cup. That way I can mimimize the dehydration before my run. My secondary need is to make sure I do not need to find a port-a-potty during my runs.

I think it is a good idea to understand your body and when and what to eat before a race. I typically do a bagel with peanut butter and a banana while on the bus to the holding corrals during a runDisney race.

I am definately not a morning runner. Most runs are around noon or just after. As mentioned, I need to find a warmer part of the day so I do not freeze.

How do all of you fuel for a long run? I am still trying to figure out how much to take in so I do not bonk. I used to be that guy who did not drink or eat anything during a run. I have started drinking 2 powerades and 2 waters at each station during the half back in January 2020.

1 Like

My go-to is a Clif bar and a banana 2 hrs before a long run. During long long runs, I’ll have half a clif bar around mile 15 or so. And I have GUs every 3-4 miles.

ETA: For GUs, I start with the hops flavor and then the last few will be caramel macchiato. My two favorite drinks - beer (hops) and coffee

2 Likes

100%

Breakfast choice of runners everywhere

It’s like a freakin full time job out there :laughing:
My current regimen that is working well so far is:

Salt tabs every even-numbered mile (I’m a salty sweat-er)
Energy Gel every 3 miles (I just tried huma gel this weekend and liked it a LOT as compared to Gu)
Water or electrolyte drink (I’m using Nuun) every 1 mile, roughly 1-2oz/mile

I also tried rungum this weekend and it was okay. Caffeine boost was good but the flavor was off-putting after the flavor ran out and it was really “tough” gum.

Starting when we hit 20 I will add in a half PBJ sandwich and maybe some chips or pretzels

I could not do this…It would not stay down. I have to eat solid food about an hour before I run and only Gu’s and electrolyte drinks during the run (water of course more than anything).

I do think Gu’s are awful texture wise. I just do two good squeezes and chug some water with each one and swallow like a pill.

Never heard of this one?

I tend toward the fruity flavors for Gu, except for the chocolate which is almost like brownie batter.

Overall I have always found them to be sweet. I stumbled on these in the running store the other night and decided to give them a try:

They are made with real fruit I guess? They are milder in flavor and almost like a smooshed banana. I had mango and strawberry. I will be buying more. I was worried about the chia bothering my GI system but it didn’t at all.

I can’t remember if you’ve said it before, but have you run further than 17-20 miles before? My first long long run I bonked hard even though I was eating GUs every 3 miles. Once I started adding real food, even just a little, no more problems

1 Like

I’m not sure if I can either. But now’s the time to find out.

I will say that after a long run (last long one of 11 and this weekend’s 13) I have to FORCE myself to eat for the entire rest of the day. I was barely able to choke down dinner. So it might work that way for me to. We’ll find out!

Hoppy Trails:

1 Like

Yes, I have. My longest workout was the half-ironman and I just Gu’d and they used gatorade enduranced that whole thing which was 7 hours for me because my body literally shut down in the half marathon as it was 93 degrees and humid. But I’ve also run the Madison marathon and done 17-20 mile training runs.

*When I say shut down I could no longer hold down anything but water at about mile 8-9 or so on during the half marathon at then end. So no way I could have held down food if I couldn’t even hold down gatorade.

2 Likes

It’s so funny but with some of them the texture works (ie chocolate as it’s like brownie batter) but for others I am choking it down like a warm fruity loogie

1 Like

I will be looking for that. I am not sure I want to order a 24count, but the idea is intriguing LOL

I wish I had that problem. My brother told me during my first marathon training when I hit 14 miles my body wouldn’t want to eat. I never had that problem post run. I used to get a HUGE donut right after and it went down just fine. LOL

1 Like

Well yes and no.

Intuitively I know it’s really super unhealthy to have that much energy output and only 400 calories plus the morning’s bagel as intake.

But yeah, it would be super awesome to just let that go and enjoy the calorie deficit!

Today though? I am making up for it. Seems to be my MO to get the hungry horrors 2 days post long-run

2 Likes

I like the salty flavors like salty watermelon. It helps cut the sweet.

1 Like

Yes that’s one of my faves

Chocolate
Salted Watermelon
Jetberry

1 Like

I have a very nervous stomach. It’s the place I deal with stress and endurance workouts are stressful, especially race day so I think that’s why I can’t really eat. But post workout no issues whatsoever.

I take almonds on my long runs, just fill up my little belt pouch like a weirdo squirrel…along with GU. I use LMNT for my salty electrolytes…when I know it is going to be a particularly sweaty run.

Did not know this was a flavor option…add to cart.

1 Like

Oh ow. My stomach hurts just reading about nuts on a run.

LOL

It’s true everyone has what works for them!

1 Like