Raptor Encounter tips?

Our trip is in 2 weeks and I am starting to finalize our plans. I got nervous when our crowd calendar went up, and went and splurged for the express pass so although that makes things easier, I am now trying to re-work my plans.
Should I plan to hit Raptor Encounter first thing or is it better later in the day? I couldn’t find much information on it.
We are rope dropping and hitting all the HP stuff if that makes a difference!

The Raptor encounter, typically, doesn’t start until after the park has been open for one hour. It happens once a hour for about 30 - 40 minutes. Then the performers break & switch roles.

FYI - By switching roles I mean there are two different experiences. “Blue” the full sized raptor that you’ve seen in all the commercials and “Tango” a baby raptor. Make sure to ask the TMs before getting into queue which raptor will be coming out if you have a preference!

The M&G will, habitually, have a posted wait of 25 minutes. That’s how long they do the experience for and will “close” the queue after the experience has been going for about 10 - 15 minutes or if it gets full at start.

IME - It’s hard to plan for as most people only want to see Blue. My advice is plan your day with JPRA, VC and/or Camp Jurassic all about the same time. Keep about 30 minutes of “free / break” time in that part of your day. Then as you walk by the Raptor Encounter you can ask the TMs when/which dino is greeting and then decide to enter…

BTW - It’s an outdoor queue with very little shade or relief from the heat. Be prepared for that. I’ve seen families that have waited 15 minutes and be most of the way to the M&G leave when a kid is too hot/tired.

Does this help?? Let me know if you have more questions!

3 Likes

The best tip I can give you is to do it!! It is so much fun! But yes it is a very hot queue.

3 Likes

Thanks, we have never done it so we don’t have a preference. I was looking to see the wait time and I see sometimes it’s closed and I found it confusing.
I’m from NJ and can’t wait for the warm weather so I don’t think I will mind waiting in the sun for a bit! Now in August that would be a different story!

2 Likes

I wish they would actually post a schedule. That would be fantastic.

I made the mistake of using the UOR app chat feature and asking what time it closes. This was the day before. We arrived to find it closed. It closed at least 1 hour before the park close time that day.

Yes. It’s closed but open lol

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I was afraid of putting it around 5, I’m still playing around with it.

3 Likes

I’ve been in August (twice). After each trip I’ve told myself, “Never again!!” I’m sticking to that promise after Aug. 2022 when I felt like this!

1 Like

We started in Hogsmeade and knocked all of that out plus VelociCoaster. When we came by on the way to JPRA it was closed so we rode JPRA and then it was open again. We maybe waited 20-25 minutes so not too bad and then went along our rotation to Kong.

3 Likes

The first time we went to Disney in August we said never again… then 6 years later DD made it into the Disney College Program so OF COURSE we had to take her there, lol.
My MIL lives about an hour away from Orlando so we have been going to see her every spring then head to the Florida Keys. Definitely more enjoyable this time of year.

1 Like

How late in the day does it typically run? We will be there in a week!

1 Like

They stop after 6pm - typically about 6:45pm - (before sunset / “dark”)

1 Like

Makes sense since dinosaurs need to sleep. :sleeping::wink:

1 Like

One of my favorite park photos is from that. We are in our robes (Jedi/Homeschooled Wizard for DH, Ravenclaw for DD and I) and I’m leaning way back giving the raptor an extremely sceptical look.

2 Likes

My daughter tried to “kiss” Tango the baby raptor. She was quickly reminded that he’d eat her face!! It was a funny moment!!

2 Likes