Random Thoughts and Questions - A Judgement Free Zone

I have a lot of random thoughts and questions about WDW. Some don’t have real answers. I just want to know your thoughts. First question/thought.

I don’t know how to swim. Therefore, I never go to the pool or water parks at WDW. If I decide to go down the lazy river (alone) - will I drown?

8 Likes

No, just stand up :wink:

15 Likes

See! That’s what I mean. I figured the lazy river water was the same as a pool.

7 Likes

Is there a section of Stormalong Bay that is very deep?

Ok, I just searched: maybe some lazy rivers are ok but Stormalong Bay is 8ft deep. There should be plenty of life jackets that would keep you safe.

I looked it up because I hate that pool. I have never, ever found a chair by that pool so I stopped trying years ago.

One final edit: the water parks and Stormalong Bay are the only place in WDW that have water deeper than 5ft. This might help you know where a life jacket will help you feel safe.

8 Likes

Exiting via the IG, there’s that sandy area to the left. I assume it belongs to Beach Club. Can I lounge there If I’m not a resort guest?

4 Likes

Yes! That is a public area.

6 Likes

Yay! I want to do this.

4 Likes

My husband, who cannot swim and has a phobia of water went on the lazy River. He did great and had a lot of fun.

8 Likes

Do you like water?

You’d be fine at any pool - they have zero entry.
You put on your cute swim attire, find a chair to deposit your stuff - sandals, reading material, bottle of water - and elegantly enter the water, enjoying the sensation as you stay close to a wall until you’re in a far as you’re comfortable.

Maybe you’re leaning against the wall but also propped on your arms, stretched along the pool side - the better to absorb the very nice vitamin D rays.

Or maybe eventually you’re comfy enough to immerse yourself up to collarbone level, swaying gently to the movement of the water as others enjoy the pool as well.

The water gets deeper the further away from the entry.

Lazy rivers need to be stand uppable because total clutzes such as myself have difficulty attaining the tube and disembarking same. The idea of some of me remaining dry (hat, hair, etc) is :rofl::joy::rofl::sweat_smile::laughing::grin:.

Typhoon Lagoon’s wave pool is another place you can enjoy. It’s also zero entry

While the Waves are off, you find a spot to one side and sit in just a few inches of water, like 2. Facing the mountain and boat.
When the waves start up, you’ll have fun when they gently reach you. Especially if you lean back a little and barely have your feet on the ground.

7 Likes

[quote=“SirGreggLadyV, post:8, topic:93338”]
My husband, who cannot swim and has a phobia of water [/quote]

Same. Good to know.

The cast members are union, correct? If so, does it go by seniority on who gets to be in a Mickey costume?

4 Likes

The lazy river at TL is not deep. So you could stand up and walk if needed. Now part of lazy river at Stormalong Bay is deep. Too deep to stand.

7 Likes

No. Pools creep me out because of the whole idea of sharing water with people. Almost drowned when I was five. Never in my life owned a bathing suit. I like the idea of floating on the lazy river though.

8 Likes

That is relaxing. As long as I can forget about leaving the river. :smile::grin::wink:

Also, due to an apparent difficulty with sun’s rays on the surface of my skin, my swim attire is long pants and a long sleeved shirt - with extra long sleeves to cover my hands. Also a sun visor. And sun glasses. And sort-of shoes - like hiking in water shoes. Lots of holes.

5 Likes

I feel seen! :laughing:

4 Likes

At the water parks there are lots of rubber rings to sit / wedge yourself into or just use to hang onto. They are located at every entry point + Typhoon Lagoon has about 4 or 5 such points around the river.

It’s also possible to stand up in many areas at least, I was forever doing so when it gets congested with people.

You can also use life vests which are provided at all resort pools and the water parks.

6 Likes

Yup! That attire definitely garners the looks

:smile::wink::sunglasses:

If we’re ever lucky enough to be at WDW simultaneously we have to do water together !

4 Likes

It’s a date!

4 Likes

Raise your hand if the metal detectors hate you.

5 Likes

:raised_back_of_hand:

4 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it.

They are performers, just like actors unions, they audition and the best performers (that meet the parameters of a character - Mickey is usually a woman because he’s relatively short) are selected.

Seniority may play a role in scheduling (senior union members get to pick their schedule first, for example). But they don’t put just anyone in a costume because they’ve been around a while :slight_smile:

6 Likes