Question on DVC resale

True, so I guess these distributions will change over time. Adding to the question of why the heck they have the use years in the first place. It seems like to spread the point use around, but the uneven distribution makes no sense to me!

1 Like

Very helpful, thanks

1 Like

I cant find where Disney advertises what they have available for resale. Can you only buy resale direct if you get on a waiting list? I did hear they can now change the use year.

Here is the direct cost:

Copper Creek will be $210 and I just read they are all going up in June.

I bought resale from Disney 5 years ago so I had no say in use year, but my contract has a December use year and I have had zero problem with it. However, when I bought the contract in May of 2014 I got 2013 points too. So in May of 2014 I had 160 points from 2013 and then come December I got another 160 for 2014. I hope that makes sense.

Because of this I have vacationed off of the surplus of these points and use year has never been an issue. Actually just this summer is the first time I haven’t had to bank a significant amount of points (I am banking a whopping 2 points). I also decided to travel in May as opposed to the Fall this year because of new employment. With all of that said I really enjoy having a December use year. I feel like it kind of sets you up for the coming year, which may totally be a mental thing on my part. Like of we are traveling in 2019 with 2018 points :tipping_hand_woman:

I will say I’m not sure how I would feel if we hadn’t gotten that surplus of points immediately when we bought in, but I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I hope that answers your question.

@PhotoFGIT yes I follow what you are saying. I am planning to buy in this fall. Since I rent points 11 months in advance I will probably not have to use them in 2020 which would hopefully set me up like you were with a surplus from the beginning.

@PrincipalTinker, what a great chart. I go on that sight all the time to see the listings they have and I never knew it was there. Prices are much higher than buying resale. Do you know if they are always available direct? I guess the one thing that worries me is that now that the Riviera is about to be open for sale, it seems they are changing the rules of the resale market. You cant use points bought resale to stay there. If you buy direct into there and then decide to sell those points they are only good there. I worry they may change more in the future.

You can get on a list for direct. Disney will then contact you when they have used their right of first refusal. The OKW is the one direct contract that people argued can be a good deal if you really want the direct benefits. Disney will sell you the extended year contract.

Yeah, the price does not seem to high. By extended do you mean they will extend when it expires?

I haven’t read to the end yet.

But I would echo what others have said, buy where you want to stay, or at the very least buy where you would be happy to stay.

But seeing that you usually go the first week in December, that’s probably the busiest DVC time. Mid September to mid January (marathon weekend) is the DVC “Fall Frenzy”. That means booking right at the 11 month window, and for BWV standard studios possibly even “walking” to get one. (That is essentially starting earlier than you actually want and dropping a day at the front and adding a day to the end, until you have what you want).

I am so glad to get the advise from liners. With as much as I have researched and as much as I thought I knew, nothing beats the practical experience found on this forum. I will take the advice that everyone has offered and buy into the BW first. That is my happy place, that is where I have been staying 3 to 4 times a year. It is not an easy resort to get into and I would rather have the 11 month window open for me.

1 Like

You seem to be confusing terminology here.

If you buy from Disney, whether that is a brand new resort like CCV for now, or a sold-out resort like BWV, that is buying direct. Not resale. The prices will still be as high as CCV, in fact many resorts have higher prices than the currently selling resort.

Resale is buying from a different source, a resale broker. Prices will be lower but there are now restriction. You don’t qualify for a blue ,ember ship card, so don’t get the DVC discounts or the special AP price. And as do Jan this year, you will not be able to use your points to stay at the Riviera or any future new resort (such as Reflections).

So when you are asking what Disney’s “resale” prices are, those are actually the direct prices.

Are you planning to buy from Disney or from a resale broker?

Yes you are right I am confusing the terminology, sorry. It sounded right in my head as I was typing it though. I guess I just considered as like a direct resale, if you know what I mean.

I am pretty set that my first purchase will be resale from a resale broker. I know the restrictions that come with it (most of which don’t bother me) which is why I am still considering direct. I also worry about future changes Disney may make to resale contracts.

1 Like

Here is the expiration dates for all resorts

When you buy direct for OKW you get the 2057 date.

1 Like