Question about an article I read

Oh! That is weird! I was taking it as though he had it on the soles of the shoes, like stepping on gum.

That’s a good idea - still have an “official” check where they issue the band (which avoids individual cast members having to make a controversial call that could go either way on different rides) but prevents wristbands from being swapped.

Also, having a wristband at all draws attention to the fact that the kid is close to the height requirement and reminds the cast members to check.

1 Like

The one “hack” that I read was if you kid is just at the high requirement, take them early in the morning, because walking around a park for 5 hours can make them up to an inch shorter than they were when they woke up.

That’s better than snickers bars.

2 Likes

Here is a trick that breaks no rules.

Back in my marching band days, they taught us a trick to learn to stand taller. Stand on your tippy toes. Then, while keeping your head at the same level, slowly lower yourself down. This forces your posture to stretch out. If you train your child to do this then when it is time to be measured they already know what it feels like to stand tall.

5 Likes

Also, practice having them stand tall and touch the bar above their heads. I have heard parents talk about their kid flinching away from that little bar and this being denied the ride. Make a measuring stick at the height in question with something sticking out parallel to the floor and have them practice standing tall (on flat feet though) and trying to touch it.

4 Likes

To avoid the issue altogether, We planned our next (and likely last) WDW trip around when our youngest will definitely be 44 inches or greater, which means it’s pretty far out-not till oct, 2020. Otherwise we go to DLR (easier, cheaper) and use Rider Swap.

This happened with one of my boys on RnR. He got so jostled around, side to side, that he left with a raging headache.

1 Like

This happened to me last summer. And I’m 5’2".

1 Like

Happens way too often. People feel like they have to “get their moneys” worth by trying to put their kids on everything they are able to ride without considering if they should.

1 Like

We had never been on it, so we thought that if he was deemed tall enough by the rules, that it would be ok. It would be cool if they had an outline of a person on the wall to stand up against that gave an indication of total size that said something like “you might be tall enough, but if you’re not big enough you may want to opt out”

Yeah it happens to me too. 5’3.

And @ryan1 says it’s not rough! Edit - oh he says RRR at Universal isn’t rough. Same difference, they both bash me about.

1 Like

I’m debating whether to try it again or not. Maybe making sure I sit in the front and knowing that I have to brace my neck/head will help.

I would, it’s still one of my favourites. I do it several times every trip.

1 Like

RRR versus RnR? I definitely agree about RnR being on the rougher end of the spectrum!

1 Like

FYI - Please understand that I’m speaking in general terms, not about you specifically.

This is just a sensitive subject for me. You’re damned if you tell people their kids shouldn’t ride because you are “ruining” their day and you’re damned if you don’t because you “allowed” them to get hurt.

In my experience, most Ops people won’t tell guests that their child isn’t “big” enough because guests complain that they were instructed they “couldn’t” ride even though the child was tall enough.

When I was working the queue or load areas, I would always explain that the child “may” not enjoy it and “shouldn’t” ride because of how violent the ride was. Then I would reiterate that they can ride and it is their choice. I’d still get people upset at me because they think I’m trying to deny them service.

In regards to the size outline, there’s no metric for “big enough”. You might have a thin lanky kid who can ride with no issues and a chubby kid that gets beat up like a pinata. Plus, there’s always someone ready to feel " body shamed" because they have to stand next to an outline and be measured.

5 Likes

I’m debating whether I try it at all. I know DS7 won’t – he has no interest in going upside down – but I could in theory try it after DH and DS11 are done. I’m 5’6" but I decided this year I’m too old for wooden roller coasters and similarly rough rides. DS7 and I are both sitting out Tower of Terror too as we both hate prolonged drops (I think Splash Mountain is right at his limit) though right now we have a FPP for all 4 of us on our 2nd evening in HS so that he and I can see the inside and then take the chicken exit.

On topic, DS7 is a bit over 52" so he’s fully tall enough for most rides, but he’s also thin and prone to motion sickness. When we were on Maui when he was around 2 we had to turn around on our drive up to Haleakala to see the sunrise when he vomited about half way up – in hindsight it was probably motion sickness not altitude but better safe than sorry.

@darkmite2, it sounds like you balanced the caution with the letting people choose as well as anyone could. And it sounds like a very stressful part of the job.

2 Likes

My DS7 is so excited about it. It will be his first upside down coaster. My husband enjoyed it so I know he will ride it with him. As it stands in my current TP I would have a 2 hour break before riding another ride after, so that’s more than enough time to let the Motrin kick in. I’ll probably try it.

We’ll be taking DS4 on ToT for the first time this time. I’m a little nervous. DS7 got sick not long after riding it last time. I’m not sure if the ride caused it or not…he also got sick not long after Soarin’. He did fine on Star Tours and FOP though. He didn’t try Mission Space. I think I’m gonna dope him with Dramamine just in case.

1 Like

RRR is harder on my ears. RnRC used to be fine but last trip it really beat me up.

1 Like

I wasn’t taking it personally, but thank you for clarifying anyway. And you’re right about the outline and body shaming. I totally didn’t think of that. I’m sorry that people can sometimes be jerks and would give you crap. We try and go out of our way to offer thanks and a smile to cast members. I would have been grateful for you to offer your view whether my child would be comfortable riding a ride or not. It’s that kind of excellence of service that makes Disney great for me.

2 Likes

RNRC was my 7yo’s first ever coaster, he loved it, it was his favourite ride.

2 Likes