Pteranodon Flyers

Is it really true that you have to be with a small child to ride Pteranodon Flyers? And is it weird that I’m bummed about that?

1 Like

Yes, it’s true. Only one of our 3 boys qualified, so YDS got to ride 4 times - once with each of us :joy:

3 Likes

DD18 is pretty short, but still a few inches too tall. Darn.

It’s such a low capacity ride designed for kids, well, they limit it to kids.

If you REALLY want the ride it and get the credit, check out the Orlando Informer meets where they operate the ride for everyone.

2 Likes

I actually like this ride. I’m sad my kids are too big nowadays. So good to know about the Orlando informer meets

1 Like

What is the height limit?

About the height they can ride real roller coasters.

Edit: 36" to 56"

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. No

A number of years ago I was banking on riding with my nephew, but he didn’t want to try it … ugh.

3 Likes

It is not weird that you are bummed. Frequently on the Universal Facebook groups you will see joking discussions of ‘renting’ out children. You will see kids being referred to a “Tickets to Flyers”. I expressed my joy to the ride operator once and he agreed saying that is why he works on that ride. Ride operators get to ride it.

DD is still short enough. She will ride once per trip. (Sigh) She likes the ride but the line is usually long. Our upcoming trip she will be the ticket for her friend, who is too tall and going with us.

I think what people like is that it is unique. It is really just a slow, baby roller coaster, except with swinging chair seats.

4 Likes

It’s fun though and feels like flying. Really it just could be longer but it’s the only hanging “coaster” they have now Dragon Challenge is gone. I often agree with TP’s reviews of things such as Fast & Furious but this one I enjoyed.

2 Likes

It definitely looked like something I wanted to try at least once. The reviews I saw all talked about the cool views of the park. I guess if they didn’t limit it to kids/companions, the lines would be even longer than they are now.

1 Like

Maybe they will pay attention to how much people like it. There isn’t an inherent reason that they couldn’t do another ride in a different area and beef up the weight limit and increase the capacity by having multiple chairs loading at once using the moving floors like they do on other rides.

I think it is the unique rides that give parks an appeal. For example, Fearfall is a yawner for me. My local Six Flags has the same thing only taller. But Flyers is exciting. The water coaster at Volcano Bay, Kaka-whatever was unique for me. I can’t remember the name because we called it “Mommies ride”

1 Like

LOL, we have a couple of water roller coasters in Schliterbahn and one of 'em is themed in a castle and you go through a tunnel with a dragon on the water mist (like Pirates ride) so I like it even better than the one at Volcano Bay but point taken about the unique. Schlitterbahn New Braunfels is so unique because it has so many tube chutes which are 15-60 min rides where sometimes you float down the river and sometimes there are rapids and hills/slides. And one of them is themed like the jungle. The Schlitterbahn on Padre Island, TX you never have to get out of your inner tube for most of the water roller coasters like Krakatua as the whole thing is one giant lazy river where you can just sideline off the main part of the river into the “lazy river line” for whatever water roller coaster you come across. It’s genius! You never have to get hot standing in a line or carry a tube up a slide, they have those moving belts you just sit in your tube and it takes you to the slide so these parks win for me.

3 Likes

That sounds amazing! The worst part about a water park is walking on hot/rough pavement to the next ride and/or climbing the steps to get to the top! We have a small water park here called Wild Waves. When my girls were younger we had season passes for a couple of years. The park is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day (plus a Halloween and Christmas event) and you could get a pass in December for $50 plus a season parking pass for $40. Unfortunately, the girls got tired of it after just a couple of summers.

I never get tired of Schlitterbahn. We have gone every year except 2020.

Edit: It’s my Disney of water parks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, that is now really high on my to-do list. New Braunfels had been a vague “Do one day”, just because I used to stay in Braunfels, Germany for work. We live in the DFW area so it isn’t far. I am going to need to start conserving vacation time, but that could be a long weekend.

2 Likes

If you rent one of the cabins, I recommend Riverside or Treehouses though the Treehouses are insanely priced nowadays then you get early entry and park tickets included both days. We always rent a Saturday, drive down on Saturday morning from Austin and check in for the 10am opening of the old part of the park and take the back entrance from that area straight in and start riding. Then when we’re tired we drive over to our Riverside/Treehouse Cabin on the Blastenhauff/SurfNBurg park side and check in. and use the late afternoon/evening to do the stuff in Surf 'n burg into the extra magic hours. They keep the surfing and warm pool area open till like 11pm for hotel guests. Then we do the early entry at Blastenhauff (an hour early for hotel guests) and spend the morning knocking out that park and we’re always done by lunch time so we can check out but you could go move your stuff into your car and stay till close.

Edit: But you could technically make the 4 hour drive back to Dallas that same day and it wouldn’t be terrible if you left at lunch time or a little after.

2 Likes