Proxy line holder or line cutting?

I think part of the reason I am so forgiving when it comes to character meet and greet lines as there are multiple set ups, as opposed to ride lines which are very static.

When we rope dropped Merida in 2016, (yes, I rope dropped Merida!) I had already been schooled on how to best accomplish this on the DIS board. At Park opening, my older two daughters and I hightailed it to the area. We were behind another woman. When the cast member came up to her he asked her, “how many are in your party?” And then he asked us the same question. Moments later, the other members of her party arrived, as did my husband with two smaller daughters whom he dropped off to me. It was clear that the cast member expected it to occur this way.

Another method to meet characters is in the aforementioned exceedingly long lines on party nights. Message boards are filled with anecdotal descriptions of holding and it being allowed by CMs.

Another way is in the traditional queue set up. Most of these, however, have either fast pass, or more then one Mickey, etc. and move more quickly (in theory).

Still another set up, as witnessed in Disneyland, was the spontaneous kind. These were the most rule-less (and most fun).

Once upon a time I would’ve been very black and white about what should and should not be tolerated for lines. That was before I saw many of my friends working to parent children with needs that were not a visible to the eye. Also in so many different ways I have been the recipient of grace. I can certainly afford it in a character line. By and large anyone I have seen coming and going has been very polite in doing so.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you expect me to fix it, thank you, or something else? :thinking:

I suspect my meaning was widely understood.

3 Likes

:joy::grin:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. As I mentioned, I am not against the use of the DAS. I’m just against taking the time - who knows how long! - to get it for a single line. Especially because the cost/hour at a hard ticket party is already so expensive, and because, from others’ experiences here, the proxy system seems to be pretty commonplace for M&Gs during parties, even accepted by Disney themselves. Maybe I could send my family on to do something else while I wait in line for the DAS. Oops, nope, whole family needs to wait together.

Out of curiosity, for those who are vehemently against the proxy method: when everyone is hungry, do you have your entire party stand in line together and then the entire party goes to find a table or do you split up so someone can find a place to sit while others are ordering and waiting for the food?

When I was growing up, we all ordered and then once the order was paid for and being worked on, two would go to get a table and two would wait for the food. We would never take up a table while simply waiting for the order to be placed - especially when people with food are wandering looking for tables.

Now that I am solo, it is a moot point about splitting - but I’ve often been the one wandering while people hold tables as someone else in their party waits in a long line to order food. Most of the time the lines are long enough I’d be finished before their person even ordered.

3 Likes

It really depends on the line. If its spacious we all wait until order is placed. If having our whole party stand in line causes a back up or issue, we split up. After we order, I do normally send the kids off to find a table. They get the napkins, condiments and utensils ready. QS food doesn’t take that long.

I totally don’t mind. I don’t think it’s line cutting. It doesn’t make my wait longer.

Separate issue. As long as you don’t wait until you’re up to the order- taker to decide what you want it’s all good!

1 Like

Some of the restaurants dictate this. Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill have strictly forbidden us to get a table until we had our food in hand. I found it asinine and incredibly inconvenient. It created a bottleneck at the line to get a table while people were holding trays full of food.

I would much prefer to split up - some of us get napkins/utensils/straws/condiments and a table. Teh rest of us get food

2 Likes

Dear lord, I have seriously wanted to kill people who do this. Especially at places like McDonalds where you pretty much know what they have on offer without having to look at the menu boards.

2 Likes

I thought @brklinck meant the comment as an aside, not as a correction of your post.

I find grammar and the rules interesting, but I don’t get all upset when people do it wrong or colloquially. Well, I get antsy when I hear “Me and my friends are going to…” from my son, lol.

1 Like

When you’re solo or otherwise unable to split up, you’ll appreciate this and not find it asinine.

2 Likes

I’ve been solo and seen families struggling in line, managing the small ones AND the food all at once. It’s ugly.

3 Likes

I dont mind ppl holding tables, I do mind ppl sitting at tables when they arent eating or planning to. Ive seen this, ppl just stopping to rest, sit down and then get back up

2 Likes

As yet we have always had some sit and some wait in line. I’ve read many times that they don’t allow it, but I’ve always been able to do it. We are a party of 8, sometimes 10. Trying to sit together is difficult enough. If we spot something doable we grab it. We’ve never been asked not to (yet).
We tend to eat early (11 and 4) more often than not. Maybe that helps too.

If I were asked to leave I would politely speak to the CM about my concerns, but would ultimately obey him/her.

1 Like

OK, I’ve given it enough time and no one else posted it. The ultimate guide for line cutting - Hey Larry!

5 Likes

I guess it is all in how people do things. Because we did things the same way at home, my sister and I learned how to wait in line and not have to be managed or wrangled.

Disney seems to be pretty lax about attraction line cutting. If I am in line, and 100 people are in front of me, if person 99 needs to go to the bathroom, I see zero issue with them jumping out and coming back. If parents need to take kids out of the line while another waits for whatever reason, I see no issue either. In generally every park Ive been to but Disney… even going to the bathroom and trying to come back can be met with being kicked out of the park. I think that’s a bit harsh, but it is easier to enforce.

My issue is when I go to a ride, I’m behind 1-2 people… hear them call up their friends and let them know they are in line, then 40mins later 7-8 people are pushing past me. General consensus in non-Disney parks is let a ride operator know, and they get removed. Disney, it seems to be ok. I remember waiting for PP and 2 people in front of me were about to get on the ride, and they pointed to the exit “we are holding the place for that group”. CM was just fine letting them in line. They had just ran over from Space Mountain and told the CM at the ride the same.

For parties mentioned above… a picture with 10 people and with 2 people takes about the same time. If the 10 people all wanted individual photos… then no. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh for sure at a certain age. But when it’s toddlers and smaller, that’s a lot to physically juggle.

Trust me, my kids know how to wait in lines appropriately :wink: I am the parent, after all.

Of course at 15 and 11 if they couldn’t it would suggest a problem :wink:

2 Likes

And some (probably many of us on here) are really quirky. I’m not sure what “normal” means exactly, but it sounds boring and un-interesting to me.

2 Likes