Proxy line holder or line cutting?

Agreed. In his particular situation I’d be ok since they asked and didn’t add people. Adding more or not asking and I’d be a bit put off.

4 Likes

You are right, this is very common at the parties and the majority of people in line were doing it. We did it, no way all 4 of us were standing in line for hours, we swapped out and all was good. We don’t do this on a regular day at the parks, but it is acceptable at the parties. We went to 3 MNSSHP’s in 2017 and did this for the long lines of 7 Dwarves and Jack & Sally.

7 Likes

Based on the feedback I’m seeing here, I think that if there is an easy reentry point in the line, I am going to try the proxy route for Jack and Sally by asking the people behind me if they would mind. I’m not concerned about anything else really because we will mostly be trick or treating, eating, shopping, watching parades/shows, and MAYBE a few rides at the very end of the night as long as the lines aren’t long.

As for the parade, I think our entire party (3 adults, 2 children) will stake out our spot and use that time to eat, relax, and costume watch.

I agree no one has the right to sacrifice the convenience of others for the convenience of themselves. It happens A LOT in Disney World and it is just sickening. I think trying to weave through a line to get to your party is rude and unacceptable. Also, letting everyone in line think they will be getting on a ride in x number of minutes, when in reality the line will take twice as long because half the people riding aren’t actually in line is also unacceptable. But if there is an easy way to enter the line closer to the front and it is a “trade” of people rather than an “addition of” people, I don’t see how that could be inconveniencing any one. I think Disney also sees the benefit of littles not getting bored in lines because they are doing things like interactive items in the lines and “loose” (for lack of better explanation) lines like at Dumbo.

3 Likes

I also think it helps if EVERYONE in the group gets in the line so the folks around you know the situation and then you break off as needed for the characters at the parties. That way no one is surprised when your family shows up.

6 Likes

I suppose we could go that route, but I’m afraid it would eat a chunk of the already limited and extremely expensive MNSSHP time. I am hoping to politely use the proxy method for the single line we intend to use. If the MNSSHP were not our first destination of the trip, I would certainly consider the DAS for the entire trip. We will be doing AK and Epcot while we are on our trip too. Again, we won’t be doing many rides, other than maybe a few with FP so DAS seems like trouble for what little we would use it.

Even with it I’m sure we would get dirty looks for using it. My son doesn’t look or act disabled. Even I don’t consider his mild claustrophobia a disability, more of an inconvenience really. Another option would be for us to keep about 10 feet of space between the first person in our party and the last person in our party. The keeps him from feeling like he is being towered over. That tactic wasn’t necessary for outdoor queues last time, but we did have to do it for the Toy Story ride over in HS (the first time we realized how uncomfortable he was) and people gave us dirty looks and nasty comments for that too. That was the last ride we rode without a FP or with an indoor queue. I didn’t even know what a DAS was at that point. In fact, I only learned about it in this thread, so thank you, qwerty6!

1 Like

My son is on the spectrum. He has issues with crowds and loud, echoing noises. Weve, in longer lines, took turns walking him around. Its harder when the queue isnt easy to get in and out but we would try to find a point to swap out. We ultimately had to skip a few. He couldnt handle squeezing through ppl to get back in place in line. Its so difficult. But i think if the people around you know ur intentions and see u fairly close to the line, not trying to visit something else while they are waiting, u should be fine. If someone gives u a hard time, just explain that u took ur child for a walk so he wouldnt make the line miserable for everyone else. Maybe that will give them perspective.

But if your son has an issue and Disney is so open and accommodating, why not check in and get it?? This is my question on this thread. I could understand it if we were discussing a vendor that was not progressive, but Disney is. Any family with an issue should go to Guest services to get the accommodation – bless Disney for this. But to expect guests on line to let folks whom claim it, is really just not fair to expect our normal average Disney friends to decide on the fly what is legitimate and what is not – it is a burden on just normal people at Disney who I think are kind but not in a position to decide.

To be clear, I have family members on the spectrum and so I would go to Guest Services to expect them to manage this, not normal Disney guests who have no way to do so.

Our family constantly work to make certain each child and adult is welcome and included! I come from a Yes! Disney is great on this so let’s do it! perspective!

4 Likes

Please think of your phrasing. I understood what you mean but its a bit harsh to say the people that should use DAS arent normal. Im not assuming this was your intention. Im just letting you know how this could be and has been taken.

Thanks for your note, and the opportunity to clarify. As I made clear, my family is normal in all ways, including the variations of all our family. Including, it seems, me, who doesn’t always type on social media with great sensitivity!

I meant normal as in not particularly politcally woke or politically astute. I meant Disney Normal, which is Disney Kind, disney Everyday good person who means well. I guess I meant generally kind, normal, thoughtful. I am truly sorry if that did not come though . I meant my post to be Advocacy for the rights of all to ask for all of the Disney rules to makes their and their families – and childrens’ – lives happy and included.

4 Likes

@DumboRunner Im not trying to be a jerk. The word “normal” is very subjective and I really have always gotten upset when ppl said my son wasnt normal. I don’t think any of us are normal all the time. Some of us have physical struggles, some of us visit a Disney forum to just make it through till our next trip :joy::joy: All friends here.

1 Like

Im actually one of the least PC people out there. Its just one of those triggers😉

1 Like

@DumboRunner except for childless millennials (I will be one at Disney come Jan 2020). We are totally not normal😂

1 Like

Perhaps “typically developing”? Or “neorutypical”?

1 Like

thx very much — i know we all need to listen and learn!!! i am very grateful that despite my initial words which raised concerns for you we’ve talked and i’ve learned from it

1 Like

Awwweee :blush: I again am not PC, an will always put my foot in my mouth given the chance. I truly did get ur meaning about the “normal” Disney guest. But I had to read twice to get it. Just bc the word is like nails on a chalk board for me. Im not normal, lol, and Ive raised my kids to not want to be normal, to be better than “the societal norm”. I just didnt want u to get backlash for it, knowing what u meant and that some people FIND something in everything u say. Ive seen many things uve posted. I knew ur intent or lack there of.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t ever want to use the DAS pass unless I absolutely had to. I don’t know how it works for parties, but in regular situations, you have to go to the FP, check in, and get a come back time of one hour. You cannot just make your own plans nor can you modify things like I can with regular FP. It brings its own frustrations.

ETA: And as Erma Bombeck once wrote: Normal is just a setting on your hair dryer. (meant to bring a smile with this)

2 Likes

Sorry - this really bugs me, especially after having to sit through meeting after meeting where someone constantly misused the expression for every question she raised.

1 Like

As usual, I’m with @bswan26 on this. Emergency potty break while in a long line - get out, do your business, and get back in. Otherwise, treat it as a learning experience - everything you do in the world is not supposed to be entertaining, and sometimes (often?) you have to do boring stuff like wait in order to do what you want to do.

Obviously, this does not apply to people who have legitimate issues with waiting, and that’s what DAS is for.

5 Likes

We were waiting behind a family to see Ralph and Vanellope, and then suddenly the two other families they were traveling with showed up and joined the line. “No problem” I though, “it’s still just a photo.” Except it was “now this family! Now that family! Now X Family kids! Now the girls!” It was so frustrating.

2 Likes

I guess I can kind of see that, but it just wouldn’t bother me all that much. In fact, I often enjoy watching the family ahead of me get their photos.

3 Likes