Problems with drinking the water at WDW?

Hi All,
We are headed for our first trip in 13 days. I wasn’t initially planning on ordering anything to be delivered, but I recently came across a FB post where many people reported that the water at WDW gave them GI problems and that it tastes bad.
Since you are the experts, do you find this to be true? Do you always order bottled water? We generally avoid bottled water because of the plastic waste, but I am happy to make an exception if it will keep my family from not drinking enough water and/or save us from feeling sick.

At the resorts you can always get filtered water from the coke machines. You can also get cups of ice water at QS locations. I usually do t drink from the water fountains mainly because I like my water very cold. I have not notice any problems with the quality of the water.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind the tap water. It just doesn’t taste very good compared to other parts of the country

1 Like

I’ve never gotten sick from drinking the tap water there, but it does have an odd taste to me. We don’t buy bottled water either. We refill reusable bottles from the coke freestyle machines they have in the food courts at the resorts and we get free cups of ice water at the QS restaurants in the parks.

2 Likes

The water at WDW is safe to drink (as far as I know), it just doesn’t taste that great. We drink lots of tap water day to day, so we bought a soft Brita filtering water bottle and put all our water through that. We never actually drank from the Brita, just used it to refill our other water bottles.

It was nice in a way - in our stroller basket everyone had their own water bottle that we filled in our hotel room using the Brita, and then we also had the full Brita in there too. If someone got low on water and we weren’t near a QS dining location, we could just refill their water bottle on the fly.

2 Likes

The water does taste awful in Orlando. (I’m from New York, where we have the most delicious tap water) That said, it definitely didn’t make me sick — I took some flavor packets and that worked well enough for my purposes. I feel too wasteful drinking many bottles of $3 Aquafina.

2 Likes

So as others have said, not the best tasting…

It is a bit common for people to pick up a cold or stomach bug in WDW. That’s what happens when you put gazillion people on the same place and let them touch all the things all day long. Perhaps people on the FB post were linking the two.

I’m not much of a hand sanitizer person but in WDW I carry multiple travel size bottles in my fanny pack to get me through the day.

4 Likes

The only place I thought the water tasted kind of icky was MK. The other parks tasted fine to me. We had no GI issues, but we tend to take probiotics on vacations. I would agree with maybe a refillable water bottle with a filter if you are concerned. And definitely wash your hands and keep hand sanitizer around.

2 Likes

It’s not great water, but it wasn’t terrible. It had a bit of a treated scent to it. No GI issues and I am very sensitive to that.

1 Like

As others have said, definitely tastes worse than tap water elsewhere. (This isn’t just an Orlando thing, but a Florida thing, it seems, since even where my parents live, the water doesn’t taste that great.)

It is better tasting when it is cold, however, so if you can get ice water, it helps.

Bu if there was anything in the water that was causing GI problems, they would have to shut things down!

1 Like

We always get lots of free quick service water and I think it tastes fine and have never had any issues either. But if you are really picky about the way it taste then use a filtered water bottle.If it’s hot enough you won’t even notice.
We do however usually start with cold bottled water poured into our water bottles before we leave the hotel for the day.

1 Like