Princess Half training question

Y’all I skipped a long run (11 miles) 2 weekends ago and instead did it last weekend (Jan 23). So now I’m off on my training plan to be ready for the Princess half.

If I stick to the training plan this is what the long runs look like:
Jan 30 : 3 miles
Feb 6 : 12.5 miles
Feb 13: 3 miles
Feb 20 : 14 miles
Feb 27 : Princess Half

I’m sure the 14 miles isn’t a good idea the weekend before the race, so how would you suggest I fix this?

1 Like

How are you feeling after your 11-miler? The only alternative to your plan is to shift it all up a week, and add another 3-miler the week before the race. But you could also injure yourself running 12.5 miles this weekend after running 11 last weekend. If it were me, I would try to do the 12.5 this weekend but take it really easy. Maybe even walk the first 3-4 miles.

1 Like

I would definitely not do 14 and then the half. You want to arrive on rested legs.

1 Like

This one was actually my easiest long run to recover from. Staying on schedule but modifying the run may be what I do. I think the hardest is mental for me for the long runs. I’m really slow so it takes a long time, which is such a hard commodity.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I was worried about. I figure Jeff puts that last 3 miles in for a reason.

1 Like

Yep I agree. I followed JG plan to a T back in 2012 when I first started training fir the inaugural ToT 10 miler.

It works.

2 Likes

My half plans only took me to 10 and I was fine.

3 Likes

Another option is to do the plan like you have it, but throw away the 14 miler. Turn that into a 3 miler. That would give you an extra week of recovery.

If you are mentally think you need the 14 miler, then replace the 12.5 with the 14.

4 Likes

If you do the 12.5, you’ll be ready. Maybe just switch the 14 mile with the 3 mile and change the 14 mile to 7? So you’d have: 3, 12.5, 7, 3, race

4 Likes

Hmmmm…thanks y’all! It might be nice to have my longest run ever be on the course.

1 Like

Mine was! Nothing more inspiring to me than running in WDW.

I think the difference in running a 12.5 mile and a 14 mile is almost 100% mental. As far as your body, if it can handle the 12.5 it can handle the 14. I’d vote on dropping the 14 as well.

My marathon plan was supposed to take me to 26.

I thought it was silly to run that far and then run it again 2 weeks later.

But more importantly I wanted to run that distance for the first time ON THE DAY. It made it super special for me.

Agree. In fact I’d argue that anything after 10 is a LOT mental and way less physical than people think/realize.

1 Like

12.5 done yesterday! The first 9.5 I did fine. The last 3 became a slog. One problem was the wind on my way home. I definitely had to fight against the wind. I’m thinking for the race I’ll have the excitement and other runners to get me through.

Thanks for the help y’all!

4 Likes

You got it done!! GREAT JOB!!

1 Like

The wind is real. I don’t know about anyone else, but I usually have a head wind when I start my run and when I turn around to come home, the wind shifts to a head wind that way too!

3 Likes

I had really bad winds too last weekend. It was hard, but I am thinking you are right and the excitement and the atmosphere will help us through. Way to go!!!

2 Likes