Preserving autographs on glass

We were able to get quite a few autographs on this beautiful ornament, and not break it in transit. Now, I’m afraid that over time the autographs will fade or wear off. Is there some kind of coating I can put on this to preserve them, without ruining the transparency of the glass?

No suggestion here as this is not my wheelhouse, but that is a cool idea! Love it, hope someone can help.

2 Likes

Maybe something like clear nail polish? I have no idea, crafts are not my thing. I would probably buy a second one to test on first though.

2 Likes

You want to use something like this:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Painting-Supplies/Palettes-Tools/Crystal-Clear-Krylon-Acrylic-Coating-Spray-Finish/p/6227

I would personally try it on a sample item first so you don’t ruin your original.

2 Likes

I’m an archivist but I do not specialize in objects like this. Still, I would be very suspicious of spray coatings as they are just one more chemical that will decay (possibly yellow) over time and possibly adhering to the ink and flaking it off. My suggestion is to control for the two big enemies of this ink a) light by not having it on display year round and b) finger prints by putting itself in another bell jar or cabinet or just making it so verboten to touch by anyone. If you have it out, after the holidays you might consider dusting it with a soft brush and then storing it in a box with sides that won’t touch the glass.

2 Likes