Portofino - which restaurant?

Looking for opinionsof restaurants at Portofino. All of the Italian restaurants look good so cant decide. Me/Husband and twin 10 y/o for dinner on a Friday or Saturday night

We stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel in January with twin 7 y/o. Had two meals there:

We had Friday night dinner at Mama Rosa’s. It’s homey and large with multiple rooms. Stereotypical traditional Italian decor. Food was excellent traditional Italian. Service was very good. I think perfect, if you want a nice dinner out, without it being maybe being TOO nice (Bice? which we did not try). We’d go back to Mama Della’s for sure.

Had Sunday brunch at Trattoria del Porto. Definitely more downscale and hotelly than Mama Rosa’s. But still the food for brunch/breakfast was really good, and they had a large buffet spread with omelette station.

(FWIW, our favorite meal was dinner at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.)

We enjoyed Mama Rosa’s as well (10 and 13 yr olds). Agree with @dcjp regarding the general tone of it. We ate alfresco and it was a wonderful way to enjoy the early evening. Food was good, service was good, view was good.

We also enjoyed dining by the pool one evening. EVERYONE was happy. Wife and I enjoyed a few imbibements. Additionally the food poolside was good and served nicely (unlike so many other pool side services). It was a wonderful way to spend the evening.

We are however a family that always enjoys a fancy dinner out as well

2 Likes

how soon in advance do you need to make reservations? booked there for Christmas eve for three days

Bookings open between 30-60 days in advance for universal. Varies from place to place onsite. At Christmas there might be special events on in some restaurants with different menus/ prices. These need prepaid and open up about 2 months out.

thanks!