[Poll] Which free gift would you rather have when booking a WDW trip with TouringPlans?

I love reading this.

Not all TAs have the capacity to dote on their clients with gifts, whether big or small. What they do have to offer is their time, their expertise, and their professional handling of all your travel needs. They hope to make the trip a little more magical, and a lot more stress-free, even without trinkets and snacks and gift bags or boxes.

And they hope that is enough.

7 Likes

Now if you’re suggesting TP’s own whisky…

6 Likes

Facts.
These agent gifts come directly out of their commission, i.e. their paycheck. Only the really big agencies can sustainably afford to do this.
I wish more people understood how agents get paid.
Disney pays a comission (usually 10%)
The individual agent pays a cut to their host agency, which can be from 10% to 40%.
Stat sending gift cards or snack baskets, and you’ll be losing money real soon.

3 Likes

I believe this question was only regarding the TP agency? People should be able to answer the question.

In my example I booked with Michelle because of her cruising experience. I never asked for or expected anything other than advice.

I gave my feedback because Michelle is now a TP agent. I do not need or expect a gift card. If the agency wants to give something, it can be a small token.

Yes…

I think we were just sharing additional thoughts? @lizzieanne771 said that that’s not important to her and I was acknowledging that remark. @ninjasherrie just agreed.

Did not mean to suggest people cannot answer the question?

2 Likes

Exactly. No one was suggesting that people not answer the question.

1 Like

Correct. I was answering for myself what matters. Service is what’s important to me. You could give the best trinkets in the world, but if you have crappy service, I’m not going to use you again. (You in the generic term.) Give me excellent service and I’ll use your services again and again and recommend you to all my friends and family.

2 Likes

I suspect the giving of trinkets or small tokens or not really has little to do with whether the service is necessarily good or not. It has to do with a business model and choice.

Giving incentives to entice a potential client is nothing new, and might sway a person who doesn’t know one TA from another. The TA might be able to offer the incentive as a means to obtain more clients (which means they are choosing to make less per client, but perhaps have more clients). The downside is that once a TA has “too many” clients (whatever that means) it could mean their service suffers, spreading themselves too thin.

Another TA might have fewer clients, but make more per client, and so can potentially offer more time dedicated to each client.

Ultimately, as far as THIS THREAD goes, it sounds like TP is considering offering an incentive, and trying to figure out what would be the most attractive benefit.

And I maintain Len is using gift cards and cookies as “real life object” things in a hypothetical to make a point. :laughing:

It’s the whole tin hat thing… I hardly take anything at face value anymore.

I see. (Perhaps the POINT was merely to see how long it takes an innocent poll question to turn into an argument about something unrelated??? :wink: )

2 Likes

Clock is still ticking.

No arguments yet observed! :smiley:

Tick tock. Tick tock.

1 Like

I disagree… :laughing:

2 Likes

And TIME!

@ryan1 is fighting with himself again

(someone get his meds!)

2 Likes

Well, some agencies offer things like these chips baskets as an incentive for booking. They get them through Disney directly, and the cost is just under $75. But objectively, it doesn’t look like the basket contains more than, say, $30 worth of stuff if you had to buy it at a grocery store instead of from Disney,

Because it seems overpriced, we were trying to figure out:

1. The retail value that people put on something that Disney says is worth $75.
  2. Whether people would just rather have the cash value of that thing instead.

I think it’s clear that people would rather have the cash value.

10 Likes

It occurs to me that this poll, in a sense, creates a bit of bias in the results, considering @PrincipalTinker’s comment about what made her cry.

If GIVEN A CHOICE, most people will see the practical advantage of choosing the money over the chips/cookies. When I’m polled, I can stop and think about it.

HOWEVER, if you were to just give people either a gift card for $80, or give people a smaller amount plus the “gift basket” of chips/cookies, and then report back how it made them feel, you might come to an entirely different conclusion. And, in fact, it is possible I, myself, would report an entirely different outcome than I did when offered a choice.

We’ve been watching numerous videos on DCL lately, and in every situation, when someone walks back into their stateroom and finds just three chocolates on their bed, or whatever, they are ECSTATIC! A (very) small detail that made the trip feel special in a way that I’m sure that bonus gift card ahead of time did not.

10 Likes

This is a very good point. You know what else I love? A handwritten note in snail mail. Our mortgage company did that twice, and now I recommend them to everyone. They sent me a blanket too with our name embroidered but I most appreciated the note.

4 Likes

During the early part of the pandemic we got hand written thank you notes in our take out order from a local business and it absolutely tickled us pink and elevated them forever in our minds! We told everyone about that too!

4 Likes

I struggle if we are the clients that Touring Plans are trying to get?

I honestly don’t need a gift card to bring my business to them and although I live onboard credit, Michelle never advertised that, and I did not expect that.

I would be happy with nothing or if they insist, a $10 Touring Plans cap would be great.

There are many people that post on chat looking for what TAs give the most so I do think advertising a gift card would make a difference to them.

3 Likes

This is a good point.

In general, people are terrible about recognizing cash equivalents of “stuff” and that the “stuff” is priced in. A cruise could be $42 cheaper if you didn’t get chocolates and towel animals each night, but once the money is paid they see the chocolates and towel animals as charming and special.

But give people a bare bones service and make them pay for each thing separately and they (usually) hate it.

Liners are probably somewhat more immune to this, doing the extra work of comparing options and really thinking through cost trade offs, but certainly not exempt.

1 Like

I think the timing of the cookies is also a factor - I might have voted differently if it said the cookies were a welcoming gift awaiting in my room upon arrival (or there first day). Now managing allergens is another factor that makes it difficult so maybe not, but without the context of WHEN/HOW we get cookied it is difficult to judge if the vote is accurate…

2 Likes