Poll Time! Motion Sickness at WDW

Inspired by several recent conversations, today’s poll is all about Motion Sickness! I will actually break this down into a few different polls. This series will focus on WDW and I’ll do a separate thread on UOR later.

Motion sickness is a personally relevant topic for me (primarily on simulator rides), and I am even the proud creator of the Barf Bag Rating Scale:

Without further ado, here are the WDW polls – please vote in both:

Which of the following types of rides cause motion sickness for you personally? Select all that apply.

• Spinner rides like Dumbo
  • Spinning rides like Mad Tea Party
  • Motion simulator rides like Star Tours
  • Attractions with simulated aspects like Remy or TSM
  • Attractions with large screens like Reflections of China
  • Attractions with drops like Tower of Terror
  • Inverted roller coasters like RnRC
  • Other roller coasters
  • Attractions with flashing lights
  • Other types of attractions not listed (comment below)
0 voters

Which of the following attractions causes the most severe motion sickness for you? Select 3.

• Mission Space: Orange (EP)
  • Mission Space: Green (EP)
  • Soarin’ (EP)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (EP)
  • Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure (EP)
  • Star Tours (HS)
  • Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run (HS)
  • Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (HS)
  • Expedition Everest (AK)
  • Tower of Terror (HS)
  • Rise of the Resistance (HS)
  • Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (HS)
  • Another roller coaster
  • Theater shows like Reflections of China
  • Spinner rides like Dumbo
  • Spinning rides like Mad Tea Party
  • Other (comment below)
0 voters
Jeff's Official Polling Rules for Cynics and Skeptics

In case of a tournament, the following protocols will be followed:

• All voters are eligible to participate regardless of their familiarity with the various options
  • Voters may cast or change their vote as desired until the poll is closed (generally timed)
  • The first option to receive over 50% in any round upon closing of the poll is deemed the winner
    • In the case of a multiple choice poll, if more than one option receives 50%, there will be a single-choice elimination round to determine the winner among all options receiving 50% support.
  • The percentage displayed by the forum software will be deemed the official result, regardless of the absolute number of votes cast (i.e., rounding differences may be decisive)
  • If no option receives over 50%, additional rounds will be held
    • All options receiving 15% or more will advance to the next round
    • If all options have received 15% or more, the option receiving the lowest % of the vote will be eliminated
    • In the case of a tie, the option receiving the higher % in the previous round will advance
      • If there is still a tie after following the above rules, the option listed first by the forum software in the results will advance
  • All results are final – no recounts, re-dos, challenges, or complaints will be accepted; however, discussion and debate is welcome.
  • Have a magical day! :rainbow::european_castle::fireworks:
1 Like

first question - causes motion sickness with or without medical remediation? I can’t ride an elevator without feeling sick. So I would click all the buttons. If the parameters are what makes me sick even with OTC, the list will be much shorter

2 Likes

I would go ahead and click them all for that poll, assuming no medication. For the second poll, I would think about it both ways to kind of see if there are any for which medication doesn’t even help.

1 Like

I now take preventative Less Drowsy Dramamine in parks that might pose problems for me, so I can’t say for sure the number of options in my case might be higher if I weren’t taking the medications.

1 Like

I feel like the ride where they actually issue puke bags is too obvious of a choice.

5 Likes

My worst offender at WDW? The Muppets 3D or Philarmagic. I had to take off the goggles during Philarmagic, it’s the absolute worst.

FOP made me feel bad. I almost puked at Star Tours.

But I am not setting foot on Philarmagic ever again.

1 Like

I’ll count Muppets 3D and Philharmagic as “large screen” rides, but also click “other” for 3D, which I think is a separate category.

1 Like

I think part of what makes Star Tours so bad (motion-sickness-wise) is that the technology is older and not as smooth. That said, I will never get on Millennium Falcon again either.

2 Likes

Star Tours is much worse for me. I ocassionally still subject myself to it to remind myself why I don’t like it :rofl:. I can usually do MFSR once and be ok. Best if sitting in Engineer position. I wish it didn’t make me mildly ill, though. Sort of a bummer.

2 Likes

Many of those I have never ridden because I don’t like drops and roller coasters. They may trigger my vertigo, but I haven’t tested. There are few rides I’m able to ride due to those issues.

2 Likes

I am so sad. A poll I cannot participate in. But the consolation prize is that I don’t suffer from motion sickness, so I guess that’s a win for me.

Oh! I could answer for DD22! Going to do that now!! You know what makes her the most sick? Soarin!

7 Likes

Darn I forgot to include a “none of the above” option! Oh well. You can click “other” and your response will be noted as “none.”

3 Likes

Actually this is fine too. I’m kind of surprised Soarin’ is the worst, though I can see why it would cause some level of motion sickness. For me it’s totally fine.

2 Likes

And FOP doesn’t seem to bother her at all. But I will say that we’ve mostly done FOP early in the day and her issues definitely can get worse as the day progresses. But if she’s already primed to not feel good, Soarin’ will send her over the edge. Of course, Mission Space Orange is the worst. We rode that in August and she did everything they tell you not to do in the preshow if you’re feeling sick - close your eyes, look down, etc. And what do you know, they were right and it did make her feel worse!

2 Likes

I said Other, here, because the slower spinning rides, like Dumbo are OK for me, but Astro Orbiter is faster, and that one does me in!

I’ve had issues with simulators (Star Tours) and dark roller coasters (backwards especially. Thanks Everest), but not lately. Maybe my motion sickness is getting better?

1 Like

I don’t really get motion sickness from any, a little on Mission Space, but I am curious on the experience from others.

Did everyone experiencing motion sickness always have that to some degree, or did it develop or get worse with age?

1 Like

Many of the rides listed I have not ridden because they would cause motion sickness for me, based on much milder attractions making me queasy.

3 Likes

@Jeff_AZ is vertigo considered motion sickness? My sister and cousin were front seat passengers as kids - or still, really - because they’d get urpy. They don’t have vertigo.

I think I have vertigo - I get confused as to where I am. If I can see thru what I’m walking on, like a railroad trestle, I can’t figure out where my feet are touching - the trestle tie or the surface underneath. So my mind gets off kilter.

1 Like

That question is outside my area of expertise. :rofl:

1 Like

Worse with age for me. I never got motion sickness as a kid into adulthood. But starting around 30, I gradually started feeling it…and even more so by 40.

Having said that, I did get sea sick on the ferry to Catalina Island when I was a kid, so perhaps it was always in the cards for me.

2 Likes