Poll Time! Gratuity

You make some fair points. However, in the UK how many levels of taxing are going on? Are there local taxes and federal taxes that all can change? I honestly don’t know. Because I tried to explain we have layers and layers. I don’t know if that’s the case elsewhere. I think I only meant that guidebooks say that they aren’t included, you are correct that the explanation is probably not included. However, tourists are warned of the practice and so it is not deceptive, which was my primary issue with how you described it. Yes it is different, but it not deceptive since tourists know or should know that that is the practice.

I don’t think many people here find it frustrating as it is the only way most know of how to do things. Most Americans have not traveled to places that do it any different. Most have been trained to know that there will be a bit more to pay at the register and it really isn’t a big deal. I cannot and am not speaking for everyone. Just my general sense from family, friends and students.

Anyway, nothing on these forums is going to change how we in the US, label our prices or retail taxes. I just wanted to educate as to why things are the way they are (at least to my understanding). I make no claim for having answers to anything beyond my explanation. Not really defending how we do it either, just explaining why it isn’t as simple as others sometimes think it is. Remember, we can’t even agree that everyone is entitled to basic healthcare, which should be a simple idea. (facepalm).

1 Like

I get mine in the mail along with a bunch of other flyers. I have found no way to opt out of those and I don’t look at them. They go directly in the recycle bin.

I’m in California where we have state sales tax, local sales tax in the urban areas, various taxes on booze, gas, etc. and I agree that the ways stores price things without including sales tax is a PITA. And they could include it when they put a pricetag on the product but because that’s not how it was ever done here we’re stuck with the crappy system we have (not to mention that’s apparently not even allowed in some states as previously mentioned). I mean, if they have the cash registers set to do the tax I am pretty sure they could set up their pricing/inventory software to do the same.

Also, I really wish we’d get rid of pennies so everything would at least be rounded to the nearest 5. It’s so nice going to other countries and not having to fuss with pennies.

Some states don’t even have a state sales tax, or don’t have it on specific items that most other states do - clothing, for example. I lived in MN briefly and they consider clothing and shoes a necessity like groceries so they’re not taxed. THAT is nice!

2 Likes

I’ll concede that point.

Which you did successfully. I was not aware of the nuances.

I have one.

My former best friend — regular readers will be shocked to discover that I have a habit of falling out with people because I have a tendency to need to express my view, sometimes quite forcefully, and this is not always well-received — ran his own technology company and one of their products was electronic price labels that you attach to the shelf under the product. They had e-ink screens (like Kindles) and received real-time updates on the price of the item.

He and I fell out in 2014 (the Scottish independence referendum killed our decade-long friendship), so that technology has been around for at least seven years.

If the register can work out the total, it can send the data to the electronic price labels in real-time. Simples.

3 Likes

When I lived in the US, I lived in NH, which does not have a state sales tax. Which I guess is how I survived my three years there without ranting at the dishonestly of price labelling.

3 Likes

Delaware doesn’t have sales tax and Pennsylvania doesn’t have a tax on clothing but does tax “luxury” items. This means if you buy a pair of jeans or a t-shirt there is no tax but if you buy a formal dress (think prom or wedding) you are taxed on it.

2 Likes

DCL are not ships registered in the US. The crew members are not paid a US minimum wage.

My post has nothing to do with any US policies.

3 Likes

No, but you’re asking me to tip the staff $20 in addition to the compulsory tip I already have to make. And you’re saying that I should do so because the crew’s personal finances are very challenging.

I’m saying that none of that should be my concern. Disney is a massive corporation and should pay its staff a decent wage. I’m certainly paying them a huge amount for the cruise.

When I’m on vacation I don’t want to be lying awake at night worrying about social injustice. I want to be lying awake at night wishing I’d chosen a better cabin and praying I don’t have to rush to the bathroom again because it turns out I do suffer from seasickness.

I am not talking about the 4-6 people that you must tip, I am saying: if you go to a lounge and every night there is a server that talks to you, remembers you, makes your cruise special- please consider tipping them $20. That $20 could provide their family electricity for two months. Or don’t do it. Enjoy your cruise.

2 Likes

Yes.
My sons made friends with a bartender (that sounds so funny - they were almost 14 & 16) stationed at this out of the way bar. My boys hung out with him for hours after dinner each evening and they got very friendly. He was only a handful of years older than they were. Last night DH found “Craig” and tipped him supposing he wasn’t part of the tipping pool and he was definitely someone who made their trip memorable. He offered them a glimpse of what life looks like in the Philippines.

3 Likes

I said “enjoy your cruise” since I am leaving this discussion. Obviously you interpreted something in my words. Since this is not the first time (I can privately remind you of you need) why don’t you just ask “do you mean anything by that?”. I would reply,” Yes, it means enjoy your cruise since I am not engaging in these conversations again”.

I gave you my opinion and thought I was clear it was really your choice what you do “or don’t do it”. You are an adult and need to do what you think is right- not what I think is right.

(slides a Mai Tai down the bar to @PrincipalTinker)

2 Likes

Thank you kind sir! That just made my day.

3 Likes

*Cough cough *

Lol

I appreciate the passion! :joy:

6 Likes

Last week we stayed at Saratoga Springs and bell services offered to drive us and our luggage to our building on a golf cart. During the ride we realized we had forgotten to get smaller bills for tipping, so DH resigned himself to giving the driver a 20. Only he forgot he had a couple of 50 dollar bills in his wallet intended for a graduation card and accidentally gave the guy one of those. Oops. I hope we made that driver’s day!

7 Likes

We were going to do this at the end of our recent stay at Riviera, but there was no pad of paper or pen anywhere in the room. I was visibly upset over the situation. Was the choice not to include them a cost saving measure (everyone probably takes the pen home), a covid thing because they can’t be sanitized? It was befuddling and bothersome, which is clearly an overreaction. All this to say, bring a cute envelope, just in case.

5 Likes

I just noticed this in our room at AKL!

3 Likes

We didn’t have a pad or pen in our FQ room in August 2019. Cost cutting.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! I am in a hotel right now while our house in on the market - I could NOT find the requisite paper and pen here at Best Western to dash off a grocery list for DH. Is this a pandemic thing? ???

2 Likes

My guess is that it was initially a pandemic thing, they are sanitizing remote controls after all. And then they’re probably all like, “hey, no one is missing or complaining about not having these, let’s not do it anymore = cost savings” For the company it could end up being a significant savings, even after considering the tangent advertising from a pen lying around somewhere it doesn’t belong.

1 Like