Poll Time! Gratuity

It is funny, your post made me look at my state. In MA the minimum wage is $13.50. The minimum wage for tipped employees is $5.50 an hour.

2 Likes

It boggles my mind that we just accept this type of wage theft.

1 Like

California (where I live) is one of the few states where tipped workers get paid the standard state minimum wage.

4 Likes

I went and found housekeeper and handed tip to her BC when she was off the weekend guy was so poor. I didn’t want to leave it in the room.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure I understood the bell station questions. In general if I’m just dropping my bags I don’t tip but do tip when picking them up. I hope it averages out for the staff. However if transferring luggage between resorts I tip on both sides.

3 Likes

If I am dropping my bags off at bell services I don’t tip until I pick up, but if bell services comes to my room I tip when they take my bags and again when I retrieve them, unless I know it will be the same person.

3 Likes

Oh that makes way more sense! I am way too impatient to have my bags picked up. But I also have kids who can schlep their own stuff!

1 Like

Why would you tip at pick up and not drop off? When you are dropping you are asking them to store all of your personal possessions and keep them safe. If you are only tipping on one end, wouldn’t that be the time?

1 Like

I guess since they are not physically coming to my room, saving them that extra effort. Same reason you don’t tip for counter service generally. Also I was always taught to tip at the end of a service, not the beginning, though I can see the benefit of doing it the opposite way.

I think of the tip as more of a thank you for protecting my bags and finding them for me. I typically tip at the end of a service. For example, I wouldn’t pay a babysitter before they watched my children to make sure my children are safe. I pay them after.

1 Like

I considered the concierge counter service at my resort :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

But the babysitter is one person providing the service beginning to end? At bell services if you tip at the end the person that took your luggage and kept it safe might now be off shift?

1 Like

I’ve had the person who took my bags pass them off to a coworker to store them. So am I to tip both of them as well? The person who took your bags could also be going off shift right after you dropped your bags off. There are so many circumstances and you can’t tip everyone. So I tip at the end when I pick my bags up, at the end of the service.

2 Likes

I was just curious why people made that choice-thank you. I understand I cannot tip everyone and I have also been told that they generally pool tips. That would mean you are tipping everyone on shift at that time? (Just thinking out load)

I live by my own crazy rules- my over tipping and tipping anyone that handles my luggage just my way.

3 Likes

I had assumed that they probably did pool tips as usually I would see several working at once and they would be helping each other out. I don’t typically store my bags for more then a few hours anyway. We don’t go to the parks on arrival or departure days. The most we do is Disney Springs or stick around the resort and swim.

To each their own far as tipping.

2 Likes

I think I have the habit of tipping when I pick up from reading up on tipping etiquette? Not sure. I do hope that tips are pooled.

On a trip to Jambo a desk person had to get my bags and would not accept a tip. I tipped more generously on the last day when I picked up my bags for ME.

3 Likes

OK, most of these I know, but the Mousekeeping is fairly new to me. I only learned it was a thing my last trip to the bubble 4 years ago.

How does one go about doing it? I’ve seen envelopes done up cute and left on the table and I think that’s how I want to try it. I did try leaving cash out but obviously now I can see the flaw in that plan.

How much would you tip for a two week stay in a villa now, 3 ppl? I only know when they only came in a few times a week pre Oct 1. Everyday? How much?

What about a two week stay in someplace like the Dolphin? Everyday? End of stay? How much.

Thanks, and sorry. Trying to learn = )

2 Likes

I usually leave a note with the tip saying something like “Housekeeping - Thank you!” I write it on the notepad that most hotels have in each room. You can do something cuter if you so desire. :slight_smile:

Some people would probably tip per day of housekeeping services, but you could also tip per day of your stay. So a decent tip would be $2 x 3 people x ~4 housekeeping days = $24. Or a more generous tip would be $2 x 3 x 14 days = $84. You could go bonkers depending on how you feel about tipping and the job that was done.

1 Like

This is old (precovid) but it is my favorite WDW tipping blog post

4 Likes

Thank you, that helps!

So is it customary to leave out daily or as one big amount at the end of the stay?

2 Likes