Poll Time! Gratuity

I double tip Uber/Lyft. I tip in the app and in cash.

I took a ding on a ride I booked for my 87 year old dad. Now I walk him to the Uber/Lyft- I apologize, tell the driver he is going to try to tell them how to drive and that I will also tip in the app.

I over tip- I know it. I also barely survived as a waitress and short order cook for about five years.

4 Likes

At this point, we are planning on driving to DW. We won’t use bell services, as we would just leave our bags locked in our car. A rental car was mentioned, so maybe that is typically the plan for them.

2 Likes

Maybe but there are so many months that I can’t leave my luggage in the trunk? Unless people bring their electronics and cosmetics to a park and store them in a locker (I used to do that).

I answered as what we did the last few trips. With Disney not delivering luggage we tipped the DME driver for handling our bags and bell services for delivering on bags. Which we also normally dont use. I also found myself tipping food services more because of the pandemic and for thanking them for thier commitment for working so I can eat a disney meal. I found myself tipping mousekeeping less. For a 10 day stay then actually only did a full.clean once and we emptied our own trash on more than one occasion. I tipped way more during pandemic vs pre pandemic

2 Likes

We are going in November/December, so it would really depend on the time of year. I take minimal makeup with me, nothing that would melt anyway. But if needed, I’ll put those few items in the bag I carry. We also don’t bring large electronics with us. We just bring our phones.

3 Likes

I used to work the front desk of a Four Seasons. Twenty years ago I earned $15/hour for that job. The hostess at the restaurant there earned $12. Wait staff earned $15/hour to start and up to $25/hour for substantive tenure. Housekeepers started around $15 I believe. But those who had been there a long time (many of them 3
25+ years) were earning $20-$25. Bell services earned $12 to start. Those guys also saw wage increases with tenure. Some were making $20/hour and earning tips. Concierge earned something like $25-35/hour to start.

It was very common for guests to tip hostesses, waitstaff, and bell services. Housekeepers received tips often but not universally. Some guests would tip me or concierge depending on what we did for them and how rich the guests were. There was one man who had been a former ambassador who would bring two $100 bills to the front desk and ask for twenties. Then he’d give me two of the twenties. Every time. I still know his name. He stayed frequently.

So yeah, some “tipped” employees earn well. But the unexpected gratuity was always a nice bonus and recognition for outstanding service.

4 Likes

I just realized I lied about concierge. When I think about concierge I forgot about CL staff. I tip both individually and pooled.

1 Like

I’ve used a concierge once in my life to get tickets to something and didn’t even think to tip. Oops. Not something that was covered in my middle-class upbringing.

4 Likes

Can you talk me through how you did it? Leave money with your dishes in the lounge? Hand an envelope to the CL concierge? At the beginning? The end? Every day? I always feel awkward and clumsy during this process.

1 Like

I ask how tips are handled. At Universal pooled tips can be passed on at the counter where you can get beer/wine in the lounge and personal tips handed to staff. It seems like tips/gifts are more obvious at Universal CLs, at least to me.

2 Likes

I put a flat $10 for housekeeping but it depends on how long our stay was, how messy we were/how many requests we had, I put out more. We usually only request housekeeping to service the room once during our trip, if at all. If they come more than that then of course it is more- I usually leave an envelope with a $10 bill on the day we’ve requested service and the day we leave so maybe that is a flat $20? This is for any trip/destination not just Disney. Our vacations are usually a week long

1 Like

I realized after I posted the poll that I meant to put per person per day, not per room per day. :man_facepalming:t2: But you can’t modify a poll after posting. Oh well, thanks for clarifying.

For Uber, I usually tip 20% but if it is a short trip I round to $3 or $5. If the calculated tip is over $5 I’ll just do the 20%.

Holy Smokes!! I worked Front Desk at Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island 30 years ago and I made $4.25/hour. And my meals and room and board was deducted from that. I got one day off/month and it was and still is a No Tipping Hotel today. We had a sign on the wall behind us at the FD that said “If your clerk fails to smile, your room is free.” I guess that’s why I gag at poor service or the attitude that minimum wage employees think their service only needs to be as good as their wage.

ETA I once got a $20 tip which I tried to refuse because I knew I could get fired.

4 Likes

Only very rarely. We always have a rental, and never arrive in Florida before evening since we fly from the west coast. On check out day it all goes in the rental. We head to the airport straight from a park if not flying early.

3 Likes

This will sound cheap, but this is what I typically do at any restaurant, WDW or not. Baseline is 20% rounded up to whole dollar (adjusted up or down if superb or awful), but I cap that around $20 (on a $100 bill). In my opinion, level of service doesn’t keep rising at the same rate as food cost but plateaus instead. I’m not going to keep paying the server more because the food is better. I’m already paying more for the better food. The server bringing me steak isn’t doing twice as good a job as the server bringing me a burger costing half as much. I reach a point where the work of the server becomes overpaid if I keep the tip indefinitely linked to the total, also considering if I’m not their only table. This usually only comes into play on vacations, as I rarely reach $100 on a bill at any local restaurants.

7 Likes

We usually decline housekeeping but I do leave a tip at checkout. Usually leave $10 for 2 people 1 room.

2 Likes

My past 2 trips I’ve declined housekeeping for the gift card, but I believe I heard they are no longer offering the gift card when you decline service, does anyone know if that’s correct?

1 Like

Correct, you can still decline but there is no gift card given anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a game changer for me. Part of the value of staying in a hotel is housekeeping, IMO. If I can get a kickback for declining service then it makes sense, but if not I’d honestly rather tip the staff to tidy up.

3 Likes

I do the same, but with exceptions. If it is a large party or we keep the table for an extended amount of time I’ll tip more.

5 Likes